The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

August 7, 2013 - 12:27 pm

The first woman to graduate from The Citadel said she’s jumping into the political arena because South Carolina has “a rich history of sending conservative leaders like Senator Jim DeMint to Washington, and I want to restore that tradition.”

Nancy Mace announced her intention over the weekend to challenge Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) in 2014. National Journal today named Graham as one of the top 10 lawmakers who could lose a primary next year, with former congressional candidate Richard Cash also challenging the incumbent.

“I look at what’s happening in the country today. I look at a lot of these scandals, whether it’s the IRS or the NSA or the Department of Justice or Benghazi. And I’m frustrated, like a lot of people in South Carolina are. And I think, you know, Washington is out of touch. They think they know better than we do. And I haven’t lost hope. And I don’t think South Carolina has, either,” Mace said on Fox today.

“It’s not necessarily one man or one senator. But I look at these issues, and I say to myself, ‘Can we trust this government, whether it’s with our health care or our taxes or our personal phone and e-mail records?’ And he’s on the other side of that argument,” the 35-year-old businesswoman said of Graham and his position in favor of NSA surveillance programs.

“I mean, I look at, most recently, Obamacare, for instance. That’s just one of many issues. And there’s an effort in D.C. today to defund Obamacare, and I think we should defund it. I think we should repeal it. But Senator Graham said that that effort, to defund Obamacare, was a bridge too far. And I strongly disagree.”

On Graham’s bipartisanship, Mace said “if you’re going to reach across the aisle, you still have to stay principled on who you are.”

“And that’s what Ronald Reagan did. And so, I want to go up there and join Senators Rand Paul and Ted Cruz and Mike Lee, and be part of that caucus, because that’s the leadership that we have that’s guiding the conservative movement, and that’s the direction of the Republican party right now,” Mace said.

“Too often, we start off in the middle, or too far to the left to try and negotiate. We need to be very firm in our principles on the issues that are facing this country that are most important.”

Bridget Johnson is a career journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

I went to her web page to donate. No PayPal.

No PayPal, no donation.
I'd rather have a a solid constitutionalist taking that senate seat as an "entry level position" than have a RINO using it to stab us collectively in the back at every opportunity....
How has US Senator become an entry level position? Nancy Mace seems like a good person for a lower office, but shouldn't Senate candidates have a larger resume? Doesn't have to be government experience. For example, Sen. Ron Johnson was a successful businessman who showed some political aptitude at Tea Party events before running for the Senate. Ted Cruz showed ability to argue fundamental constitutional principles in front of the Supreme Court before he ran for the Senate. I want to see some evidence of reasonably conservative core convictions combined with some demonstrated ability to sell those ideas to others.
"I want to see some evidence of reasonably conservative core convictions combined with some demonstrated ability to sell those ideas to others."

Well George, perhaps you should ask yourself if Lindsey Graham is qualified under those criteria? Doesn't seem that way to me.

Re:
"
George B
How has US Senator become an entry level position?"

She seems to be claiming to be a conservative, as in it's the idea du jour. She appears to be another nouveau arriviste gadfly, no background of experience; and, being the first woman to graduate from the Citadel is not to be sneezed at, but I go with the comment posted by George B.

United States Senator is not an entry level position.
How? When the country voted Obama into office, we declared that qualifications no longer matter. Only political outlook matters.

How? When the Media abandoned all pretense of impartiality during the Bush years, and savaged anyone on the Right, be they however qualified, and elevated anyone on the left, be they however lousy.

How? When those we elected who had the ability and credentials and made the Right sounds during an election, then totally sold us out, then we decided that, now, we want someone with a core of principles as our first criterion. If they lack just convictions, there is now a big "Stop" in the decision flow-chart.

Character matters. When lack of honesty and integrity is the problem, then possession of honesty and integrity is the answer. We are understanding this instinctively. You seem to be missing seeing the problem, so you use the older flow-chart of qualifications first.
Wish I could vote for her.