The PJ Tatler

Matt Vespa

April 23, 2013 - 9:48 am

For now, the push for Obama’s gun control agenda ended on April 17.  Every measure in the bill, which wouldn’t have stopped the Newtown tragedy, was voted down – with Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s amendment on assault weapons garnering a meager forty votes. With the president unable to convince the nation to back his proposals for more restrictions on our Second Amendment rights, can we safely say that his rhetorical skills are overrated? Let’s look at his track record concerning the use of his speech.

Back in 2011, George Will aptly noted the lack of persuasiveness the president’s power of speech. The more the president talked about his health care reforms, the more they suffered in the opinion polls.  Obama campaigned against Chris Christie in 2009.  He’s now governor.  During the same period, he tried to stop Bob McDonnell’s gubernatorial ambitions in Virginia.  He was elected governor.  He tried to stop Scott Brown from filling the late Sen. Ted Kennedy’s Senate seat in Massachusetts.  Brown was elected in the special election.  He went out to support congressional Democrats in 2010.  His party ended up suffering a “shellacking,” with Democratic losses almost rivaling that of the 1938 midterms.  Lastly, Obama went to Copenhagen at the outset of his presidency to lobby Chicago as the next venue for the 2016 Olympics.  In the first round, the International Olympic Committee rejected Chicago.

Recently, Will mentioned that President Obama has spent the most critical moments of his second term pressing gun control– and lost.  With the Newtown tragedy, it touched the hearts and minds of every mother, father, and grandparent in the country.  Twenty schoolchildren had died.  How could the president not be successful in pushing for more gun control?  Obama told members of Congress to give the victims of gun violence – and their families – a vote on these new anti-gun measures during his State of the Union address last February.  Evidently, that wasn’t compelling enough.  Additionally, it seems that the president didn’t take into account the ramifications this would have for red state Democrats that are up for re-election in 2014.

As the president took to the podium in the Rose Garden after the bill’s defeat last Wednesday, he said that the “effort is not over.” And “this is just round one.”  According to Gallup, Americans have the economy and jobs listed as the most important issue for government to tackle.  Only 4% of Americans feels that gun control is an important issue.  Similar to health care, President Obama got behind gun control, and its support suffered in the polls.  With guns, it’s no different. Support for stricter gun laws dropped from 57% in December to 47% last March.

Matt Vespa is a conservative blogger who contributes to CNS News, RedState, Noodle Pundit, and was formerly with Hot Air's GreenRoom.

I'm truly surprised he hasn't blamed George Bush for all of these failures to persuade. The failures couldn't be because Obama lies everytime he opens his mouth, & the people are starting to see the light.....
Obama did manage to persuade a majority of those who turned up to vote to re-elect him. He can also persuade those same people that it is the oppositions' fault if his proposals are rejected.
I think the President tries to give the appearance of being persuasive, but whenever he does it feels like he's really just offering his opponenents the chance to surrender to the inevitable. Does that make any sense? Like "I'm going to win but I'll 'negotiate' with you so you can get on board rather than suffer a humiliating defeat." He's all sweet reason until the opposition refuses to follow the script.

Then he quickly goes into hardball mode. When that doesn't work, he gets petulant, then downright angry. When he actually loses - well, we saw what happens when he lost on the gun control bill.

On a personal level, speaking as a voter, his persuasion doesn't really work on me. It's pretty transparent - his appeals to the Newtown families, appeals to the poor and downtrodden who need healthcare, appeals to this or that emotional cause. I don't buy that stuff. I want to know WHAT'S IN THE BILL, period. Because that's the only way I'll know whether the bill will actually do what Obama says it will.

I know his "affordable" healthcare reform is not making MY healthcare more affordable. My company just told me my insurance rates are going up, my coverage is going down. Oh, and BTW, the sequester means no merit pay increases in 2014.

So whatever Obama has done for other people, he's making my life worse. Not downtown Mogadishu worse, but worse than any previous president has made it before. Truthfully, I've skated through the years without being touched by most of the things various presidents have done. Not this time. Not this president.

Color me un-persuaded.
People do not care how much you, until they know how much you care. Obama never comes across as caring, because he is always too busy angling and haranguing. Bush, for all his faults, genuinely cared about people and America, and so, was often effective in pushing his agenda. Obama is a cold fish... when he is not being downright mean.
the O has already said that gun control measures 'will' happen...what part of executive order do y'all not understand?
"Obama told members of Congress to give the victims of gun violence – and their families – a vote on these new anti-gun measures during his State of the Union address last February."

He got his vote. The problem is, that's not actually what he wanted. What he WANTED to say was "Let's subvert the 2nd amendment based on emotion rather than reason".

Actually, that's what he DID say - to those paying attention.
I'd like to agree. I'd like to be able to say that Congress (and maybe Americans in general) were smart enough to see beyond the "for the children" rhetoric and ask themselves what the ACTUAL provisions of the ACTUAL law would ACTUALLY accomplish in the ACTUAL world. (Hint: very little.)

I'm not sure I'm ready to believe that, though.
Pathological liars are usually not very persuasive.