The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

April 18, 2013 - 7:46 am

On Wednesday, authorities arrested Paul Kevin Curtis of Mississippi on suspicion that he is the author of the ricin-laced letters sent to politicians in Washington including President Obama. The letters never got within miles of their intended targets; mail screening for the House, Senate and White House was tightened after the anthrax attacks and remains tight.

The ricin letters included a distinct phrase: “To see a wrong and not expose it, is to become a silent partner to its occurrence.” The letters were signed “I am KC and I approve of this message.”

Liberty Speaks blog decided to see what could be learned by searching out uses of that phrase on the Internet.

The search quickly lead to this man.

Paul Kevin Curtis is evidently a Democrat, and also an Elvis impersonator. If that’s his Lexus, Elvis impersonation must still pay pretty well, even if you don’t look anything like the late King of Rock n Roll.

He also likes to write letters to politicians, and then write about writing those letters on the Internet.

[I]n the letter posted by Curtis on RipoffReport, he references Senator Wicker:

I sent letters to State Representative Roger Wicker, Senator Trent Lott and Thad Cochran. I never heard a word from anyone. I even ran into Roger Wicker several different times while performing at special banquets and fundraisers in northeast, Mississippi but he seemed very nervous while speaking with me and would make a fast exit to the door when I engaged in conversation leading up to my case against NMMC.

Over and over again, the Kevin Curtis that Liberty Speaks tracked uses variations on this phrase:

This is Kevin Curtis & I approve this message

Join me & all my Justice seeking friends & fellow activist New Years Eve to celebrate the future of Northeast Mississian’s & all the wrongly accused in the past!! Trent Kelly is the New DA in town & he’s clearing house. Out with the old, in with the new! Say “NO” to corruption friends & join us in Alabama as we celebrate a new beginning of “HOPE” in Lee County & surrounding areas. This is KC & I approve this message!

Strangely enough, if he turns out to be the ricin terrorist, Kevin Curtis isn’t just thoroughly unoriginal in his job of imitating a dead entertainer and in his bizarre yet banal web musings. He isn’t even the first Elvis impersonator to launch ricin attacks. Seriously.

I guess Robert Redford will be buying the movie rights since this is right down his alley...
The irony is making my leg tingle...
Thank the American taxpayer for funding development of the Internet. Otherwise we still would be dependent on the biased media for our information.
Hm... I'm torn.

I'm not saying it's impossible that someone would be stupid enough to send a ricin letter to a congressman containing phrases that lead back to them with a simple Google search. I grant it's a limited sample, but stylistically, the double exclamation marks and ampersands he's using in the second block quote are identifying marks of someone who is excitable and a little dim. His style in the first quote is cleaner, save for odd use of commas, but it also might have been salvaged by a word processor.

That said, since he's prolific, it's reasonable to posit that this guy has a readership of like-minded idiots. Needless to say, they're almost certainly all leftists, and to my knowledge he's still "in the underground", because I haven't heard anyone mention him before this. Note also that it's not a law of physics that the letter is telling the truth about its sender. It could just as easily have been sent by a sympathizer, with the explicit goal of deflecting investigation onto this guy.The idea could be to create a false lead and thereby give the real sender extra space/time to, for example, leave the country. Then, as long as "KC" can dig up a good alibi, etc, the real sender never gets collared. If the real sender gave him heads up it was being sent, in fact, he may have prepared one in advance against just such an eventuality. The better part is that it can give reporters and the government cover to start investigating conservatives, since, after all, this guy is liberal and someone tried to frame him. The fact that almost no one on the right will have even heard of this guy... let alone cared enough about his existence to frame him prior to this stir-up... will be conveniently forgotten.

Or, as I said, maybe this guy's just as thick as a brick sandwich with a cement milkshake on the side. I'm not sure.
He was not dumb, he wans mentally ill. His family has since reported that he was mentally ill, and that the family wanted him committed to a mental hospital, but the gov would not do it.
I can see where trying to be both a Christian and a Democrat might make someone crazy.
That explains the lack of coverage in the press, and the targets.