Today, aboard Air Force One, Obama spokesman Jay Carney authored another fable in the tales of bad Arabian nights.
“Every step of the way, the information that we have provided to you and the general public about the attack in Benghazi has based on the best intelligence we have and the assessments of our intelligence community,” he said, noting that Mitt Romney and Republicans are trying to turn this into a partisan issue, while president is focused on finding those responsible and ensuring security at embassies and other overseas installations.
Not a word of that is true. The US government was warned ahead of time and knew that the Benghazi attack was terrorism within 24 hours. Likely, within 24 minutes. The president is so focused on finding those responsible that he campaigns constantly, goes on The View, and he won’t even call the attack what it was, and the FBI has not even gotten into the consulate compound yet.
More than two weeks after four Americans — including the U.S. ambassador to Libya — were killed in an attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, FBI agents have not yet been granted access to investigate in the eastern Libyan city, and the crime scene has not been secured, sources said.
“They’ve gotten as far as Tripoli now, but they’ve never gotten to Benghazi,” CNN National Security Analyst Fran Townsend said Wednesday, citing senior law enforcement officials.
Last Thursday, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told reporters that an FBI team had reached Libya earlier in the week.
So there’s yet another lie in this whole sordid episode.
Obama shouldn’t have sent the FBI to do a Marine’s job.