Roger L. Simon

What if They Shut Down the Entire Government?

October 7th, 2013 - 12:00 am

white_house_closed_big_10-6-13-1

It’s been intolerably boring, not to mention hugely annoying, the last couple of weeks watching the same set of politicians on both sides blaming each other for the government shutdown.

You start to turn off on the whole lot of them, at least I do. And it’s only a partial shutdown. Almost everything is the same. Even the stock market has barely burped, as of Friday anyway.

Unless you were suddenly about to go to Yosemite, it’s no big deal. Even if you’re a furloughed government worker, you’re going to get paid for staying home. Yippee!

In other words, no disaster so far. Not even close.

So I thought — what if they went the whole nine yards and shut down the entire government? What would happen?

Well, we might have some problems with public order. All those homeless in my neighborhood might get a little obstreperous (not that the cops do much about them now). And maybe the criminals would go a little crazy.

And then there all those jihadists out to kill us. I understand that al-Libi character’s on a slow boat back here. I don’t think we want to set him loose in a mall.

So, all in all, we probably should keep some police and military on the payroll, but after that… not so simple, is it?

There’s the schools, of course. But with the quality of education, it’s hard to say whether the kids learn more inside or out of them. And if the schools were locked, parents would be forced to deal with their children, perhaps even to educate them, just as they did centuries ago.

And then when they’re ready for more advanced education, they could pay for college or go on scholarship. They just wouldn’t be government scholarships — or government loans (which they would have to pay back for the rest of their lives).

Now we shouldn’t forget the fire department. Especially here in Southern California, it’s a concern. But it seems to me the last few fires volunteers were all over the place. Maybe they could handle it. And then there are some districts where people pay for private fire-fighting forces. I hear they work well, better than the public ones, in fact.

The same thing could probably work for potholes. I’m sure in my neighborhood we could get them fixed faster through a private source. Maybe it would even work for highway construction. The first railroads were private companies, weren’t they?

So I’m beginning to think there’s a big upside in this government shutdown, if only we could encourage it to grow and expand. Tell your congressman. He or she can go home.

We’d all save a lot of time, too. No more bureaucracies and red tape. If John Lennon were still alive, he would have to rewrite “Imagine” to make us appreciate such freedom. (“Imagine there’s no taxes, state or national too, no forms to fill out, no more punch holes to do…. Imagine all the people, ignoring the IRS,” etc… you get the idea.)

Okay, I know I’m forgetting something. There’s a reason this can’t work. Some way in which government is indispensable.

What is it? What is it?

Oh, yeah, I think I remember now. It’s four syllables. Starts with an “O.”

Right — Obamacare! I knew there was a reason we can’t close down the government. I’m sorry. I forgot.

*****

What books does Roger L. Simon recommend for 2013? Click here to see his picks at the Freedom Academy Book Club.

(Artwork created using multiple Shutterstock.com images.)

Let the States take over, including the Militia.
"the government" is a bloated, self-serving behemoth, Jabba The Hutt.

Pathetic, fat & slovenly.

The Tea Party wants to put Jabba on a severely restricted diet and restore at least a semblance of America when she was strong and good, instead of angry and disjointed & ruled by a bunch of pantywaist liars and agendists, whose numbers expand exponentially every day.

And you have a problem with that ?

Obama's closings such as the war memorial and, formerly white house tours and all the rest reflect the man perfectly, the exercise of punitive pissant power.

While enjoyable reading, there is a flaw in Mr. Simon's article.

Namely, that things like education, the police, the Department of Transportation, and the fire departments are any of the federal government's business.

They are state responsibilities, and if the states can't afford them, then the states need to figure out where to cut costs elsewhere or where to raise taxes accordingly so necessities can be budgeted at the state level.

There are 17 paragraphs under Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution that specifically enumerate the authority of the legislative branch.

By my count:

7 of those paragraphs are basically martial in nature,

1 is basic boilerplate saying Congress has authority to write laws based upon the enumerated powers given to them,

1 is stipulating that Congress has authority over the District of Columbia,

1 refers to the postal service,

1 refers to copyright,

1 refers to establishing courts,

5 refer to economic issues in one way or another.

So, apparently the Founding Fathers put more emphasis on the military aspect of things than they did even on economic issues - at least as far as spelling out federal responsibilities.

At any rate, nowhere are such things as education or fire departments noted within those federal responsibilities.
my best friend's half-sister makes $72/hour on the internet. She has been laid off for 7 months but last month her pay was $17065 just working on the internet for a few hours. view it now........ WWW.Rush64.COM
hmmmmmmmm you'd have some + and some -

maybe we should discuss what these would be. i think, on net, what we would conclude is that many elements of the "Fed" -- need to be moderated. and that is best done by better supervision from We, the People.

which can best be done by better control of "The Fed" from the State Level -- just like it was originally meant to be. That's why we have a House and a Senate.

the 17th amendment says senators are to be elected by popular vote. it does not say senators cannot be guided or directed by their state legislature and this would be a quick way to negate the 17th and get more state influence on the activity of the Fed.

let's start by making the USA a good place to do business. fix dept of education and the EPA and take a serious look at getting the Big Money lobbyists out of DC

change is coming. lets make it be a good process.
Roger, Many of the items you enumerate are not even federal functions. You mention both police and fire, for example, and both of those are provided by your city government - In the event that the federal government turns to dust (I can dream, can't I?) police and fire protection would still be there.
Video: Jimmy Kimmel, Jay Leno and David Letterman provide humor during the government shutdown. Comedy Gold...

Roger, all the things you cite that government is doing for/to us, and that might inconvenience us if there were a total shutdown (I assume you're talking about a total Federal shutdown since that would be the logical extension of where we are today) are apples and oranges, since none of what you speak are Federal functions, but State and Local services.
At least within the Lower-48, there really is no Federal Police and Fire, there are no Federal School Districts (though the DoEd may think otherwise), and I have yet to see a Federal Department of Public Works (that may even be an oxymoron).
And Yes, I have my tongue pushing so hard into my cheek that my neck hurts.
When this is over, there needs to be a campaign to demand the ouster of Sally Jewell. She either ordered or knowingly permitted her Dept of Interior to wage a war of pettiness against us disobedient taxpayers and our tea party surrogates.

This cannot be forgiven. A precedent was set and it deserves a precedent in response. There needs to be one million FOI requests for the emails and orders orders to harass veterans and park goers. The idiot who tried close parts of the ocean needs to be ridiculed forever.

She needs to spend the rest of her tenure in House Committee Rooms feigning amnesia or lying or whatever the protocol is for an Obama appointee. Her picture needs to be circulated on blogs. She went to war against the American people. That cannot stand.
Terrific post, and even better comments. When posters talk about shooting their fellow citizens, the "crazy meter" is approaching 11.
So speaks the big-government lover. Such people love to tell us that shooting down the evil men is just unthinkable. They seek to use our own decency against us. It's their greatest protection from the good men, so they can go on being evil.

I prefer Mencke, "All that is required for evil to succeed is for enough good men to do nothing." When my fellow man reverts to barbarism and tries to prey upon me, I shoot him down like a rabid dog, and I lose no sleep over it.
From your keys to Gods' ears.
If Obamacare is so damn good and the reason O got reelected then why is the Obamacare website not only still open but racking up so much overtime labor. Wouldn't closing the Obamacare website really hurt "the people".

Ok, I answered it myself in that the issue appears to be "which specific group they want to feel the pain". WWII vets probably didn't vote in great numbers for the O, people likely to vacation after school starts in the fall probably did not vote in favor of O.... I am seeing a pattern here.

At what point will our military take us over so we can figure this out? How embarrassing to be US citizen these days!
1 2 3 4 Next View All