Roger L. Simon

Going to War with the Blind General of Benghazi (An Apology)

September 8th, 2013 - 11:20 pm

Okay. I’m an idiot. What was I thinking? I apologize.

Any administration that could have the temerity to send the nauseating serial Benghazi prevaricator Susan Rice, on the anniversary of that event yet, to explain to Congress why our representatives should approve a strike on Syria not only should NOT get the aforesaid approval, they should be forbidden approval for anything more significant than the choice of wallpaper in the White House rest rooms — and even that I’m not so sure.

In earlier columns, I supported an attack on Syria because I abhor Bashar Assad and his (or his minions’) use of chemical weapons and because I have even less regard for his mentors, the Iranian mullahs. I wanted to discourage them both.

Well, naturally. Who wouldn’t?

But in my overweening contempt I overlooked — or more exactly chose to ignore — the obvious. We would be going to war with a blind man as our commander-in-chief. And I don’t mean a physically blind man like the Japanese samurai Zatoichi, whose heroic exploits were magnificent despite his infirmity, if you remember the film series. I mean a morally, psychologically and ideologically blind man incapable of coherent policy, action or even much logical thought on any matter of significance, let alone on such a crucial one with life and death at stake.

Maybe it took the the looming anniversary of the Benghazi tragedy — and the Theater of the Absurd mondo bizarro image of Susan Rice once again acting as a spokesperson — to remind me of that and knock sense into me, but I apologize to my readers. I should have known better.

Yes, I know the cliché goes that you go to war with the army you have, but going to war with a “blind general” at the helm is one step too far. Actually, it’s many steps too far.

And Obama is genuinely blind in the deepest sense because he doesn’t really know who he is or what he stands for. That’s why he vacillates all the time. I realize many on the right feel, with some justification, that Obama is some kind of neo-socialist, anti-colonialist out of Frank Marshall Davis via Saul Alinsky, but I don’t even think he’s that. Or not only that.  If Obama is Trotsky lite, it’s very lite indeed, a kind of uncommitted Trotsky that Stalin wouldn’t have bothered to assassinate. He’s not a particularly successful socialist, judging by his record, or even a particularly good crony capitalist (though a bit better at that).

What he is is confused, one day decrying American exceptionalism, the next day invoking it, a nowhere man, weak and ineffectual, the very worst type of person to lead in wartime, certain not to inspire even for a second.

Worse still, he has proven to us through Benghazi that he has no moral core. He was willing to lie, and have his minions lie continually, to the American people about what happened in that city on September 11, 2012, and he hasn’t even begun to correct the record.

A man without a moral core cannot be trusted for a second to lead in wartime because he is constantly confronted with moral and tactical decisions.

To my shame I ignored this. This is particularly painful to admit, since I wrote many times about the importance of Benghazi, how finding the truth about that horrifying event is necessary not only for the families of the Americans who were murdered, but for the future health of our republic.

The deceptions about Benghazi runs through Barack Obama and, of course, through Hillary Clinton.  I wouldn’t trust either of them to mow my lawn, let alone command the American military.

Moral core? I think he is a high-functioning sociopath. As such, he has no empathy or concern for others. He can only understand events in terms of how it affects him. Such individuals often leave organizations with which they work in a shambles. That is what he is doing with the US. It will take years to undo the damage.
The one tell about Obama, and the left in general, that informs us about his character is the facileness with which he lies. It is hard to regard someone as good who lies as much as he does. The sad thing is that many, if not most, on the left think what they say is the truth and that those of us who stand against them are the liars. Remember their "Bush lied" mantra? Bush didn't lie, but there is no way to convince the left of that, nor can they be convinced of Obama's mendacity.
I see that he a very Muslim approach to the truth. It is OK to lie to infidels.
Obama is a CFR puppet, for sure. But he is also a sociopath.Click on antisocial personality and see for yourself. For starters he promote both killing unborn babies and sex perversion. Those two facts alone should deprive him of the support of all decent persons. It is also true that he is a sex pervert, a doper, lazy, a liar and, in general, a bozo; a reprobate. Where are the 65 million dipsticks who voted him into power? He is a particular embarrassment to negroes of virtue and accomplishment with his silly Amos and Andy administration. Lightning Kerry and Alphonsus J Calhoun
Holder, himself as the Kingfish Carney as Amos and Biden as Andy make what could be an amusing jamboree of ignorant and evil designs; if the stakes were not so high. But life is not a short term radio show,and lives, even destinies, are at risk.Am I wrong in supposing that Obama is in power because the majority of Americans are just as evil and incompetent as he is?Do they identify with him because they, too, are sociopathic?
I really just think he's stupid and lazy.
No President of these United States should even KNOW what a smokebox is.
Potheads are all the same, and he's a pothead.
Does anyone REALLY htink he's running the country, anymore?
Jarrett gets her orders from somewhere, but I'm SURE it ain't him!
Obama lives inside a homily created by, and starring himself.
Not your fault, Roger. You are a smart, thoughtful, and principled man. You have the same blind spot that others like you do- you cant believe someone, anyone, like The Empty Suit In Chief, might lack some of those qualities- or the urge to listen to reason.

Try Occams Razor instead- if it looks like complete incompetency at the WH, with corruption run amok, with the xbox kids running staff- it probably is.

What you should be more worried about is who is pulling the strings- follow the money.
Thanks for this piece. My own feeling is that what roils so many conservatives is the combination of the existence of a basically illicit Administration and the reality of a changed electorate that will never again possess the mass to use its energies to preserve the Republic that you so love. That is, the inability of conservatives (not liberals, who are a lost cause) to confront these related tragedies is what triggers a great deal of the overwhelming frustrations we see in your articles and those of others.
While I don't dispute that sarin gas was used in Syria, I'm not convinced it was Assad that used it. He had nothing to gain by using it on civilians. However, the rebels had everything to gain by using it. The world is overwrought by it's usage. That is why the rebels would have used it. If it was Assad why didn't he use it on the rebel factions as opposed to civilians? They posed no threat to him.
@Poppa.

I second that assessment. Assad is winning against the rebels, and if I understand correctly his regime invited UN chemical weapons inspector into the country and almost as soon as they arrive he, allegedly, uses chemical weapons (as you've written) on civilians instead of the rebels?

This Administration's response is that Assad is acting irrationally. I say Pot, Kettle, Black.

However I have seen foreign reports of the rebels in possession of chemical weapons (labeled from Saudi Arabia) and watched Youtube videos of rebels launching them. There are reports that some of the local reblels also handled the weapons, ignorant of what they were, and accidentally detonated them.

There are also reports of rebel meetings in Turkey prior to this latest round of gas attacks, that the rebels planned a "significant event" (read: use chemical weapons) to provoke the U.S. to bomb Assad to take away the more recent advantage of the Assad regime over the rebels.

Putin offered, and Assad apparently agreed to turn over chemical weapons to international control. While not defending Assad, his actions seem more rational than the claims of this Administration.

I think the weight of evidence seems to suggest that the rebel, whether accidentally, intentionally or a combination of the two, used the weapons not Assad.
Well, it is good that you have arrived at that shore of truth in this regard. Wishing doesn't make it so and it is better to let the grass grown green and true than let a murderer cut it to the quick.
Barack has parlayed his physical good looks and mellifluous speaking voice and his race to ensconce himself into a political position that he could only do in the US.
By any reasonable definition he has demonstrated that he is little more than Adam Clayton Powell light. Morally bankrupt, a person who finds himself in way over his head whose only "out" is to make believe he is "above it all" and perfectly entitled, because of the smoke blown into his anal orifice about how "smart" he is and how irresistibly charming he can make his entreaties for infinite understanding, because he is just a dope-smoking Black guy who only needs a break from the pressures the electorate, who swallowed the truckloads of BS his handlers have put out (almost none of which is true) and now dare to insist that he perform, at least a LITTLE bit, up to the levels that Axelrod and Jarrett have so confidently trumpeted that he is capable of.

As David IV put it, he is indeed a "Nowhere Man" and now demonstrating that sad reality for all the world to see as reality forces him into an intellectual strip tease he has been dreading but which was inevitable...so, do something unique, Barack...like bend over and blow us a few smoke rings...instead of making believe that the copious quantities of smoke blown your way don't exist!
Good looks? Skinny, monkeyface is good looks?Streetcorner con man dribble is mellifluous? But the rest of the comment is right on. This bozo is a stop and frisk AH from 300 meters away.
Doesn't anyone else find it terrifying and repulsive that Bro'hood Obama is making his speech to bomb Syria on the even of 9/11? And in the Middle East, won't the date already be 9/11?
1 2 3 4 5 Next View All