Roger’s Rules

Thought for the Day

September 23rd, 2013 - 6:05 am

From C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock (1970):

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

I am hoping that one or another of my readers might forward this to our masters in Washington. Any chance that Nancy Pelosi, for example, could absorb the phrase “omnipotent moral busybodies”?

"Do no good, and no harm will come of it." - Edward Banfield
They tell us it's all for us but it's really all for THEM - their egos, their self-worship and their cronies. It's their self-righteous kabuki dance, we're just the rationalization for it.
Not ONLY would she "absorb" it, she wants to BE IT!
A Catholic who is at direct odds with every single Catholic teaching, yet preens her moral superiority at every turn, is using her own stupid head as a kind of surrogate for God.
That's who Pelosi thinks she is: God.
I have a lesbian sister like that. They don't think she's getting out of the asylum any time soon.
I like the new Pope. About time someone had a plan and set out to implement it once he takes office, with no regard for wht he is "supposed" to do.
I hear the commodes in the Curia positively runneth over, these days.
I wonder what He REALLY would say to Pelosi? And would she even get it?
C. S. Lewis, the true heir of Chesterton.
Roger, you always touch on too many of my thoughts at the same time. If this isn't coherent to you, that's why.
The left has worked so hard to ban religion, they might be thinking that bigotry cannot exist anymore.