Belmont Club

I am the Eggman, they are the Eggmen

February 22nd, 2013 - 11:56 am

Angelo de Codevilla amplified his landmark essay on America’s new ruling class by explaining why the Republican Party could do nothing to stop its ascendance. In a new article Codevilla explained that much of the Republican party has become wannabee Democrat and therefore supine. They want the Democrat spoils also without bothering themselves with the distasteful mental contortions of the Democrat ideology.

The Democrats have been the party of income transfers for a long time. Their political genius has been to define the beneficiaries to include themselves and all their constituents. As Codevilla puts it, “it came to consist almost exclusively of constituencies that make up government itself or benefit from government. Big business, increasingly dependent on government contracts and regulation, became a virtual adjunct of the contracting agents and regulators … Republican leaders neither parry the insults nor vilify their Democratic counterparts in comparable terms because they do not want to beat the ruling class, but to join it in solving the nation’s problems.”

How did they come to cut such pathetic figures?

The Republican Party never fully adapted itself to the fact that modern big government is an interest group in and of itself, inherently at odds with the rest of society, that it creates a demand for representation by those it alienates, and hence that politicians must choose whether to represent the rulers or the ruled. The Republican Party had been the party of government between the Civil War and 1932. But government then was smaller in size, scope, and pretense. …

In sum, the closer one gets to the Republican Party’s voters, the more the Party looks like Goldwater and Reagan. The closer one gets to its top, the more it looks like the ghost of Rockefeller. Consider 2012: the party chose for President someone preferred by only one fourth of its voters – Mitt Romney, whose first youthful venture in politics had been to take part in the political blackballing of Barry Goldwater.

They are the party of ‘me too’. Or more accurately, ‘me next’. The complete emptiness of what has come to be known as the “stupid party’s” opportunism was described by Newt Gingrich in his denunciation of Karl Rove recently. Gingrich argued that Republican political strategy simply amounted to ‘paying Rove do the lying while pretending to stand for anything’ — in other words, shut up and let Rove win it — then  take your turn at the swill trough and be generous. Gingrich wrote:

consultants have made an amazing amount of money asserting an expertise they clearly don’t have. They have existed in a system in which the candidate was supposed to focus on raising money and the smart consultant would design the strategy, spend the money and do the thinking…. First, Rove.

I am unalterably opposed to a bunch of billionaires financing a boss to pick candidates in 50 states. This is the opposite of the Republican tradition of freedom and grassroots small town conservatism.

After getting past the high-minded objections Newt zeroes on his core problem to content-less Republican politics. It ain’t working. It’s not even good for ‘me next’.

While Rove would like to argue his “national nomination machine” will protect Republicans from candidates like those who failed in Missouri and Indiana, that isn’t the bigger story.

Republicans lost winnable senate races in Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Florida. So in seven of the nine losing races, the Rove model has no candidate-based explanation for failure. Our problems are deeper and more complex than candidates.

Handing millions to Washington based consultants to destroy the candidates they dislike and nominate the candidates they do like is an invitation to cronyism, favoritism and corruption.

Gingrich is right, but he is in fact late to the party. The idea that fightback would have to begin with taking back the parties — was begun earlier. One of those who adopted this insurgent, attack from the primaries strategy is well known to the Belmont Club: Leo Linbeck III.  He is at least partially referenced in Codevilla’s new essay describing the revolt has been under way for a some time: “the groups that represent the country class’ pieces were mounting and winning more primary challenges to Establishment Republicans.”

Rove has predictably reacted by trying to crush the rebels while donning their mantle for advantage.

The establishment responded with its main asset: money. The New York Times reported a concerted effort by the Party’s biggest donors led by longtime Bush staffer Karl Rove (yes, the Rockefeller wing) to support Establishment candidates in the primary process. But establishment candidates are already better funded than dissidents, usually massively so. The establishment candidates who have survived dissident challenges have seldom done it through sheer cash, but rather by fuzzing the differences between themselves and the dissidents. Designating themselves formally as “establishment,” was almost sure to hurt them. Moreover to set up the Republican establishment as a separate caucus invites the dissidents to unite and present themselves united as an alternative. That is the natural path to the dissidents forming a new party while Republican leadership dissolves into the Democratic party. In sum, the value of the label “Republican” is problematic.

The upshot is that both the Democratic and Republican parties are in a state of crisis, which is logical given that, stripped of their outward differences they have largely become the same thing. The Democrats are embroiled in their own revolt as people wait for the payoff that never comes; the access that doesn’t quite materialize, the big slice from the disappearing pie.

Recently the White House press corps has risen in almost open revolt against the bullying, intimidating and manipulative tactics of its occupant, as described in a Politico article: Obama, the puppet master. Mark Steyn is giddy with schadenfreude and believes the press did everything to deserve the contempt with which they are being treated.

Essentially, Obama has achieved the same relationship with the press and the media and public information that the Soviet Communist Party had to jam radio transmissions and smash printing presses to achieve. Essentially these guys are volunteering to do for him what they had to be coerced into doing most self-respecting countries, and I think that’s the real issue here.

The media is sure to get slapped around even more because the cupboard is bare.  The elites, as Codevilla calls them, are riding a falling trend down to zero. Just what happens when you get near zero was illustrated by an exchange between a tire manufacturer and the French government who were trying to get them to keep a bankrupt and unionized factory going. The French had strongarmed companies before. But this time was different. New York Times writes how the tire manufacturer responded to the French overture in these words:

“How stupid do you think we are?”

“I have visited the factory a couple of times,” Maurice Taylor Jr., the head of Titan International, wrote to the country’s industry minister, Arnaud Montebourg, in a letter published in French newspapers on Wednesday.

“The French work force gets paid high wages but works only three hours. They have one hour for their breaks and lunch, talk for three and work for three.”

“I told this to the French unions to their faces and they told me, ‘That’s the French way!’ ” …

“Titan is the one with the money and the talent to produce tires. What does the crazy union have? It has the French government. You can keep your so-called workers”

The French were livid and promised to find ways to retaliate against Titan, but such promises of retribution — as are their offers to largesse and stimuli — are increasingly hollow. The elites ain’t what they used to be in terms of real power and influence. To be high handed you have to have the money to carry it off. Otherwise you wind up like those bankrupt British aristocrats who rent out the family castle to tourists while they live in the barn.

Probably nothing illustrates the fine mess things have become more than the election for Jesse Jackson Jr’s old seat. The one he vacated by acting crazy so that he could plead down charges for stealing money. The Democrats nominated to run for his seat have quit the race or are being pushed to from scandals of their own. The leading candidate is astoundingly, a black Republican, who the Republican Party doesn’t want to support — why? Because they’re all part of the same system, exactly as Codevilla observed.

Maybe to be a real Republican these days you don’t have to look any part. All you really need to qualify is to Just Say No to the way things are.

YouTube Preview Image

The Three Conjectures at Amazon Kindle for $1.99

Storming the Castle at Amazon Kindle for $3.99

No Way In at Amazon Kindle $8.95, print $9.99

Tip Jar or Subscribe or Unsubscribe

It sure is.

Many of the more interesting commenters seem to be gone.

As are the comments left on old posts, some of which I have linked to in the past.

Whenever somebody in Corporate Hell refers to something as "exciting" you can bet it's a giant bowl of suckage.
I tried to comment above and wasn't allowed because I used words "that weren't currently allowed" This place is turning into a waste of time.

MASTER of ALL I SURVEY

Don’t want to be hurt by Jihadist
Or be afraid anymore
You say it will cost me my freedoms
Well I’ll leave them outside by the door

Take all the ones that you have to
Leave me the ones I can keep
Just please don’t take my cable
I need it to get to sleep

With my TV guide by my pillow
Remote control in my hand
The Master of four hundred channels
I pretend that I’m still a man

With the only two freedoms they’ve left me
To hold my eyes open or closed
I hang on for dear life to the only thing left
My God given right not to know.
In point of fact, Codevilla's writings served as the foundation for Palin's Indianola speech and her entire insurgent struggle against the One Party Ruling Class. This has caught on with other Republicans such as Ted Cruz, Jan Brewer, and the less successful, but still influential, Sarah Steelman in Missouri. Codevilla and his intellectual Sancho Panza, Peter Schweitzer, have become the intellectual godfathers of the Reaganite insurgency against the GOP statist establishment.

I'm not sure that Palin and her allies will succeed in time prevent the rise of a Third Party, nor am I sure that they should. I think we are approaching a "Compromise of 1850" moment in American History, where the political class loses all legitimacy and the Mandate of Heaven comes crashing down.
"The closer one gets to its top, the more it looks like the ghost of Rockefeller. "

That is not the only problem. The closer one gets to the bottom the more it looks like Jerry Fallwell. And neither is attractive to the libertarian oriented youth.

The Republican Party is dead except on a local level. And Libertarians "stole" 9 down ticket races from the Rs in the last election. Giving them to the Ds.
I have gripes. None with the host.
1.The web site hangs up. I'm pretty sure the time lost having to type in 'john' for a name with the old site is far exceeded by the new overall sluggishness.
2. Design. All the gee-whiz pop-out 3d buttons, neon green thumbs up.
3. Has a 'like' for comments. In my opinion what is needed is a 'like' for the essays. Page views aren’t the same thing are they? Every time there is a Dunphy essay I go read it, and get depressed by some new reason its ok to shoot civilians. But its a page view, I always read Fernandez essays because they are good.
The inability or difficulty of commenting by certain people is a FEATURE of the new system, as PJM adapts itself to Obamunism.
Megan McArdle does, as an example and to her gracious credit, identify herself as of the mandarin class. So is she TWANLOC?
Also, I'm logging in here now with my old, totally fake, PJM ID and password. The lost IDs and passwords from the old Belmont Club came from outside the PJM IT setup. Don't panic.
Fox News used to be a reliable source of information. Seems they've been co-opted by the MSR (Main Stream Republicans) to the 'dark side'. In that little spat between Rove and Gingrich Hannity brought Rove on to 'explain' his position. He was allowed to sit on his fat azz for about 5 minutes babbling merrily away on how his machine wasn't really a 'machine' at all - just a 'better way' of nominating 'electable' republican candidates. Come on Karl - you're a king-maker - PERIOD! How otherwise do you determine who is 'electable'? Remember how you savaged O'Donnell? I do. Or how you whined on election night when it became apparent that your 'boy' Mitt wasn't going to knock off Obummer and put you and your cronies back in the gravy? Gingrich was totally correct in calling you out as he did. Shame on Fox (and Hannity) for letting you bloviate as you did!

When I was a young lad many moons ago (I'm 65) I was taught (and believed) that our government is/was/always would be the most honest government on earth! That it would always 'do the right thing'. Maybe it was back then - but I have serious doubts today's government. Our govenment of today? I have no doubts that it is as corrupt as I think it is - and that ain't good!

I believe we will fall into tyranny or have to fight to set things right. There is the fork ahead in the road - which one will we pick? You me and everyone you know may have to make decisions we never thought we'd have to face. What will you do?

Our leaders are full of greed and avarice (but I digress!) - so are most of the operatives in capitalist ventures - this much is apparent. Greed has become a rampant infection in the halls of DC. I don't see how any of this can be 'cured' at the ballot box. 'They' count the ballots - we know how it works! Either we go along to get along or at some point We The People will need to send a message that will be heard and understood or we lose a once grand country. And exercising our second amendment rights may have something to do with that message.
I think you and I used to sit next to each other in "Mrs Smith's" Civics class, way back when. Those were the days my friend, we thought would never end.
McKinley is incoherent. He will and should be elected to "serve" Chicago. They deserve him.

The system in the USA is winding down. Entropy rules are in operation and the design margin was used up long ago.

Subotai wrote: "That is much abbreviated, but I think that one can see parallels to current events."

I love his power of understatement.

wretchard wrote: "I am posting on Subotai's behalf as he is having trouble. It maybe length, so I am posting in two parts:......."

Are you sensing the difficulties your readers are having? fallback......

Now to the experiment, can I view all and not lose this?

A: Yes, it is. Nice limiting place they got here. Shame if it actually worked.

RWE3 said: "It’s Amateur Hour in DC, folks. They are not even embarrassed to pull this kind of crap any more. No adults are present. No one is saying “Come on! Get real!” ..... There is no Real."

Sure there is a real, they current elite just took the wrong pill. Reality will be visited on them once again under the guise of the axiom = "Stupid SHOULD hurt!"

wretchard wrote: "In a word, they'll just look out the door. Nothing is out there in the dark, is there?"

That made me laugh quietly. Nope, nothing out here but us boogiemen.

I think the best we can do be kind to those we care about, make sure we can care for them in all ways and ourselves. The coming times are NOT going to be stopped nor ameliorated in any way. It is going to get cold out here for normal people.

Gird your loins.

molon labe
Wretchard once again shows why he is considered our Gracious Host. Thank you for posting my piece, and for showing us a way to get around at least one of the C3's thrown at us from the PJ Media Bunker. I rather suspect though, that the obstacles will evolve to meet our workarounds. As a guideline for others, apparently a chunk of text of about 650 words works. As a way to make a coherent post, may I suggest to the rest of Wretchard's Guests that if you have one that gets kicked out by the Bunker for length, split it into small enough chunks, post the beginning, and then immediately post the rest as a "reply" to the first part you posted, so that they stay together in the right order.

For a while, at least, we will defeat the Machine!

Thanks again, Wretchard.

Subotai Bahadur
yes it is length ---

A government and ruling class so tied to the interests of such a small proportion of the people, and fervently opposed to the interests of the majority cannot be considered as legitimate. And it is not capable of reform, both for the reasons cited above, and because of the nature of how one joins the ranks of the elites.

Even serial Obama supporter columnist Megan McArdle has taken note in print of the incestuous and self-referential nature of how one rises to power:

although I doubt that she recognizes herself as being in that mandarinate.

We have had two periods before, when significant portions of the population did not believe that the government power over their lives was legitimate. The first was the period from 1765 to 1776. I commend to your attention the book by Pauline Maier, "From Resistance to Revolution" discussing the dynamics. The outcome was not a peaceful revolution.

The second was the period from 1850 or so to 1861. I do not doubt the racial component of the Civil War. But it was not the be-all and end-all of the motivations. Slavery was the key Agit-Prop of the day, but the argument over slave -v- free states was also a proxy for who had the majority to control government finances, when most Federal revenue came from the South. And there were vast differences in the views of the role of the Federal government.

The New England States, who themselves threatened to secede from the Union in 1815 [see Hartford Convention], viewing the Constitutionally created Federal government as the employee and agent of the several states [the common view nationwide]; became convinced that the Federal government was the master of the states. The South retained the old conception.

While holding no brief or affection for slavery [and noting that it was the DEMOCRATS who made up the government of the Confederacy and who supported slavery], I can understand the response of the South to the election of 1860.

People look to the election of Lincoln as president as the key outcome. I differ. Look some time at the Congressional results. There were various reasons for the outcome, but in the end the Republican Party and a few smaller, more radically anti-Southern parties held THREE QUARTERS of the seats in each House of Congress.

The South had no power under the Constitution to stop, delay, or create any legislation at all. Despite the placatory words of Lincoln, they had every rational expectation that Congress would impose a form of legal subjugation of the South and that the Constitution would not prevent it. So they seceded.

And we are going to have to see where the point is, and in what numbers, that individuals will decide that a government and political class that oppresses them outside the bounds of the Constitution is in fact not legitimate. And to what level their resistance to oppression will reach.

Thomas Paine put the feelings of the times of the Revolution into words that could be understood by the common man. After our Revolution, he went to France, where after their Revolution he penned what became the failed attempt at creating a real Bill of Rights for France. It was titled, "The Declaration of the Rights of Man and the Citizen". I have always been partial to the phrasing of the equivalent of our Second Amendment. It is called, "The Right of Resistance to Oppression".

Subotai Bahadur
"They had, rationally, lost faith in the legitimacy of a system that would not only not represent their interests in any way, but would also openly wage war on them through the mechanism of government. The previous decade had convinced them that they were no longer the countrymen of those who ruled, who only considered Southerners as less than human subjects."

I believe we're not far from that now. I also believe that it's no longer about a two party political system but an us vs. them process, where the "them" is BOTH political parties.
"The previous decade had convinced them that they were no longer the countrymen of those who ruled, who only considered Southerners as less than human subjects."

Ah but if you are a dope fiend they will not just make political war on you. They will shoot you dead. And should you be unfortunate enough to be a person of color you will be doing a long stretch in stir. Why? Well slavery is still legal for the incarcerated. Look up "prison industries". Well. We DO have to compete with China.

Codavilla is probably going to wake up with a horse's head on a pillow next to him soon. And the fingerprints are going to those of the Institutional Republicans. His original essay reinforced my convictions on the difference between his Ruling Party [which I call Institutional Republicans] and what he refers to as the Country Party [which I have called the Conservative/TEA Party/Patriot Movement].

He has it right. I have seen the Institutionals in Colorado actively work to elect Democrats when the Conservative/TEA Party/Patriot Movement managed to follow the rules and duly nominate one of their own. We have two Democrat US Senators, and a Democrat Governor based on that; and they have tried to rig the game to remove a multiple term Conservative Congressman who sits on a key committee for the state and replace him with a candidate who literally said that he looked forward to reaching across the aisle and working with the [then] Democrat majority.

Codavilla states in his latest piece that 2/3 of the country has no representation in the government at all, and that is not a stable situation. It is not. I have been calling for the rise of a SECOND Party since January 1. Not that I expect the new party to win elections due to the fact that the electoral process is corrupted by both widespread fraud and the Vichyite collaboration by the Institutionals. But rather to form an ideological rallying point akin to the Sons of Liberty. The Sons never formed an American government. But their existence as an organized political force was vital to what happened in Philadelphia in 1787.

1 2 3 4 Next View All