10 Observations from Season 12 of Hell’s Kitchen

Gordon Ramsay's flagship show on Fox recently finished its most interesting season to date.

Chris Queen

August 19, 2014 - 8:00 am

hells-kitchen-season-12-red-blue-team

I’ve been a fan of Hell’s Kitchen from its first season. There are certain elements of the show that viewers can see coming from the start – and perhaps those elements lend a comforting familiarity year in and year out — but the mix of personalities keeps the show fresh and fun.

This season, the show’s twelfth, was the best and most interesting yet. The producers must have chosen to focus less on outsized characters and more on genuine talent, because we saw less of the tabloid drama to which we’ve grown accustomed over the last few seasons.

Here are ten observations I’ve made about this season, and each of them play a role in why I love Hell’s Kitchen so much. Check them out…

YouTube Preview Image

10. The Chefs Struggled With Even The Simplest Dishes.

I’d love to see the bill for how much food goes to waste on Hell’s Kitchen. Gordon Ramsay has such exacting standards that he has no compunction about throwing food away if it doesn’t meet those ideals.

This season was no exception, as it seemed like the chefs struggled with even the simplest of dishes. Overcooked scallops, raw halibut, ruined Beef Wellingtons, unseasoned risottos – one by one, these disgusting dishes went into the trash bins. As the season went on, the condition of the food barely got better.

One would think that, after a dozen seasons, the chefs would bone up on Hell’s Kitchen staples before going on the show. Unfortunately, that’s not the case, and we witness the same mistakes year in and year out.

Worst show I've never watched. I accidentally turn it on from time to time and as soon as that moron starts yelling at the hapless "contestants" I change channels. Gordon Ramsey is a thug and a bully and not much of a chef. But I guess it makes good tv for people who enjoy seeing other people humiliated.
Contrary to the opinions of the first three commentators below, Ramsey isn't simply shouting to create drama or denigrating. Ramsey breaks people down and rebuilds them much the same way as the military does, or even leadership trainers or management consultants.

But, just as the early losers on HK are unlikely to ever benefit from this effort and become great leaders, some people will always see leadership, motivation and training as "yelling". Plenty of people can't handle the pressure, even when viewing it remotely applied to others.
What pressure? It's not marine boot camp and they're not going to Iwo Jima. It's concocted nothing for people who've forgotten what a doorknob is that leads to the outside world.
Well I'm sure there are healthy appearance fees for every episode they survive.
This guy is not, repeat, not a leader. I would not work in the same state let alone the same kitchen. He is a bully taking advantage of these people who, I suppose want to run their own restaurant someday and look at taking his abuse as the price they need pay.

In my Marine Corps, Ramsey would be FORD,
Found on the road dead.
Yep. FRAG material, definitely.

To be honest, I am amazed he has survived all these years in places where there are all those long, sharp knives.
Chris,

I totally agree with your analysis of this season of HK. My wife and I love the show, and we had exactly the same impressions you portray. We were shocked at Joy's melt down. I called her as the winner early on. Scott was the dark horse.

I only disagree with you regarding Jason. I did learn to somewhat like him, but I knew he lacked the maturity 4 episodes from the end. There was no way he could run a kitchen at that level.

Chef Andi's great. We'd love to see her have a greater role, too.
You have got to be kidding me. I watched this show the first season or two, but it became obvious that most of the contestants are just there for the elimination, they are poor cooks and/or crazy people. - and THEN they are shown in the worst light due to coaching and editing and Chef Ramsey acting like an idiot and if necessary criticizing them for nothing at all.

The episodes make no sense at all, if things were a tenth as bad as they make out nobody would eat.

OTOH I've liked the MasterChef show, except they have been pushing it in the same direction.
Man abuses people on purpose to create drama where there is actually none whatsoever. Why not have a show of married couples yelling at each other? In the real world such chefs would spit in the customer's food.
There is nothing interesting about watching that arsehole humiliateand denigrate people.

Management 101 shoud show videos of his show, as an example of EPIC FAIL at managing employees.