Kathy Shaidle

June 2, 2014 - 2:00 pm

crowd-of-music-fans-waving-their-hands-axiom-photographic

So come to find out that — I hope you’re sitting down — almost everything they taught you in school about Phineas Gage (that olden days railroad worker whose personality “changed completely” after a spike flew through his brain) was agenda-driven baloney, even borderline-libelous.

Just more of that “settled science” we keep hearing so much about.

(In other news: polar bears…)

Maybe when they rewrite the textbooks, they’ll swap out Phineas Gage for Mr. B.

You see, Mr. B was “a 58 year old Dutch man who had suffered from severe obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and anxiety since the age of 13,” and who didn’t respond to any of the usual treatments.

As a last resort, doctors hooked electrodes to Mr. B’s brain.

His symptoms noticeably improved.

So (at least in my opinion) did his taste in music.

Six months after surgery, Mr. B’s stopped listening to his old favorites, the Rolling Stones, and became a Johnny Cash fan.

A superfan, actually…

When I hear how great the Boss is my trigger finger gets itchy and in my best Clint-tone I says two words: "Roxy Music" and blast 'em away with Amazona- I ain't still over it
I wonder how "My name is Sue. How do you do. Now you're going to die" translates to Dutch.
But that is a Shel Silverstein
During the reign of the Beatles, juvenile delinquency fell dramatically in Britain. Kids stopped buying knives and began equipping with electric guitars, keyboards and drums. If that was some kind of brain damage perhaps we need to study how to cause it -- avoiding any undesirable side effects of course.
IMO (and I have no expertise to back this up), people who fill their houses with Harley Davidson merchandise, Johnny Cash memorabilia, or anything else they are a "fan" of are suffering from a variation of the same kind of mental illness as hoarders.

I'm talking about people's whose houses look like shrines to the Pittsburgh Steelers - not your garden variety fan who owns a few t-shirts, maybe a jersey, and a couple of hats. I'm not even talking about someone who owns every studio album the Who ever released. I'm talking people who not only own every album, but every edition of every album ever released and fills their house with every bit of Who merchandise they can lay their hands on, no matter what it is.

Being a "fan" isn't a mental illness, but obsession is.

Sounds to me like this Johnny Cash fan traded one form of OCD for another.
I
"As his electrodes’ batteries wore down, his Johnny Cash obsession did, too." I, too, Kathy, am finding that as my electrode batteries are depleting, so are my obsessions waning. It's call 'getting on in years." Or some such.
Well, I think it's well-known some people enjoy the essence of a thing and others the sheen, the cool factor. Who can enjoy 18,000 hotwheels? People who enjoyed the cool factor of Costello transferred that onto Cash because Cash then had that sheen of approval. People who like Costello for his music may have liked Cash all along or didn't change their minds about hating Cash no matter how much Costello liked him.

I noticed this sorta thing the whole time I was growing up. It's normal to a certain extent. People don't wear leather jackets to keep warm. If they want warm they wear some geeky synthetic thing that looks like hell but is nice and warm. There's always some kind of price to pay for the sheen, but if people are happy they're happy.
Huh. Well, the Ludovico treatment is still effective, right? I saw this awesome documentary once about it, they totally made this one guy into a model citizen!