What Are the Most Badass Punk Rock Songs?

Which tracks define the genre's rebellious sound?

PJ Lifestyle Pop Culture Debates!

May 23, 2014 - 4:24 pm

In partnership with the new fiction publishing platform Liberty Island, PJ Lifestyle is going to begin promoting and co-hosting a series of debates and discussions about popular culture. The goal is to figure out what works and what doesn’t so that in the future we can promote and create better fiction and culture of our own. These are public brainstorming sessions for writers and culture advocates interested in developing a more vibrant popular culture. You’re invited to submit your answers to any of these questions — or a related one of your own! — that interests you:

A) in the comments

B) Via email to PJ Lifestyle editor Dave Swindle.

C) at your blog, then let us know in the comments or via email.

The most interesting answers may be linked, crossposted, or published at PJ Lifestyle. See this week’s previous questions, focusing on music: Thursday’s  Wednesday’s “Who Are the Greatest Female Vocalists Of All Time?“ Tuesday’s “Who Are the Greatest Country Music Artists Everyone Should Have In Their Collection?“ and Monday’s Are Black Sabbath and the Rolling Stones Better Than the Beatles?

Also check out the previous weeks’ writing prompts and email in your thoughts on any questions that strike your fancy: 5 Geek Questions To Provoke Debates About the Future of Sci-Fi and Fantasy5 Controversial Questions To Inspire Spirited Debates About Music.

Kathy Shaidle: Miley Cyrus: Punk of the Year? Almost. (Seriously.)

Kathy Shaidle: Vampira: Beatnik, Goth, Punk

This concludes our week of music genre debates. Next week’s theme is still up for grabs but after 2 weeks of music-themed discussions perhaps it’s time to look at a different medium. TV shows? Books? Internet Culture? Movies and Video Games? Please submit your suggestions.

PJ Lifestyle Pop Culture Debates Features a new prompt each weekday to weigh the good, the bad, the overrated, the unbelievable, and the amazing throughout the worlds of books, film, and TV. We can't figure out how to build a greater pop culture until we dissect the mess we already have. Want to contribute your perspective to the debate? Email PJ Lifestyle editor Dave Swindle with your take: DaveSwindlePJM [@] gmail.com Image via shutterstock/ DarkGeometryStudios

Five of my favorites:

"Sonic Reducer" -- Dead Boys
"Holiday In The Sun" -- Sex Pistols
"Complete Control" -- The Clash
"I just Wanna Have Something To Do" -- Ramones
"Alternate Ulster" -- Stiff Little Fingers
"If The Kids Are United" -- Sham 69
"Search and Destroy" -- Iggy and the Stooges (as they were billed on "Raw Power")
Bob Mould - "Whichever Way the Wind Blows"
Black Flag - "Black Coffee"
L7 - "Shitlist"
Buzzcocks - "Orgasm Addict"
Clash - "Tommy Gun"
Ramones - "Rockaway Beach"
Black Flag - "Stick it In"
The Stooges - "I Wanna Be Your Dog"
Sex Pistols - "Bodies"
When I think of punk rock, I think of "Anarchy in the UK."

Then again, I was never a huge punk fan. But that IS a badass song.
"Tear It Up" - The Cramps
"Concrete Jungle" - The Specials
"Lucretia, My Reflection" - Sisters of Mercy
"The Popular Front" - November Group
"Route 66" - The Cramps
"Alternative Ulster" - Stiff Little Fingers

And too many others to name. A shame, it seems "Music at Midnight" has been discontinued. I was going to recommend some of these as I went along.
Don't worry. Music at Midnight will be back soon. :)
Excellent then. I've been having fun throwing musical suggestions around, hope I haven't saturated Chris Queen with them.
"Should I Stay or Should I Go?" and "Sheena is a Punk Rocker" stand by themselves as good music. "Anarchy in the U.K"-total punk. Buzzcocks and Dead Kennedys - Meh.

If you want real revolutionary music, then it's circa 1970 "The Knife" by Genesis.

"Tell me my life is about to begin, tell me that I am a hero
Promise me all of your violent dreams, light up your body with anger
Now, in this ugly world, it is time to destroy all this evil
Now, when I give the word get ready to fight for your freedom, now

Stand up and fight, for you know we are right
We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds
Soon we'll have power, every soldier will rest
And we'll spread out our kindness to all who our love now deserve
Some of you are going to die
Martyrs of course to the freedom that I shall provide

I'll give you the names of those you must kill all must die with their children
Carry their heads to the palace of old hang them high, let the blood flow
Now, in this ugly world break all the chains around us
Now, the crusade has begun give us a land fit for heroes, now!"

Boomtown Rats- I don't like Mondays
???? - IMHO, the Boomtown Rats aren't punk rock and neither is the song.
Hate that song!
Then there's Flipper's "Shed No Tears"

Shed no tears for the suicide
He has made his choice, the pain of life is great
Clampdown, The Clash

"Kick over the wall 'cause government's to fall
How can you refuse it?
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?"

I dare you to quote a more punk lyric.
1 2 Next View All