Greg Gutfeld Reveals How to Defeat the Hipster Elite

Check out the Fox News host's hilarious new book Not Cool.

Helen Smith

May 6, 2014 - 12:56 pm

mKE-W_GgKOvoNK35_FhZsCA

I am reading Greg Gutfeld’s new book Not Cool: The Hipster Elite and Their War on You. It’s a very funny book that looks at how our culture is infiltrated with those who think that being cool is the only way to be. The book’s premise is that being cool is not only annoying, it is dangerous. “We used to consider the right thing to do; now we consider the cool thing to do.” Rather than help parents through tough times, people adopt a tiger through the World Wildlife Fund. Rather than do anything hard, just do something cool, it is easier and gets one liked without sacrifice or risk.

According to Gutfeld, the cool conformists, mostly liberals, try to make you believe the following:

How do the cool enslave you? By convincing you that:
- If you don’t agree with them no one will like you.
- If you don’t follow them you will miss out on life.
- If you don’t listen to them you will die a lonely loser.

I laughed as I read this, thinking back to a few hipsters I had worked with once who told me that if I didn’t do what they wanted, I wouldn’t be invited to parties. I was dumbstruck. “Do I look like I care?” was all I could think of saying. But their behavior was intriguing to me, as well as a bit revolting. Who would respond to this type of incentive? Are they used to persuading people this way? If so, it must normally work. Why would anyone go along with this type of manipulation?

Gutfeld’s book explores why people desire so much to be cool and it seems to boil down to the fact that many people are conformists who would rather do something easy that makes them feel good about themselves than take a stand and risk not being liked: “Coolness is a replacement for a strong ego and operates as a safe ambivalent response to evil in the world. The result: We are left with a dreary planet of self-esteem sponges more interested in capturing the approval of phonies than actually doing something real or positive with their lives.”

My question is: Is being liked so important that people will risk everything this country used to stand for in order to be invited to the party?

*****

Cross-posted from Dr. Helen’s blog

Helen Smith is a psychologist specializing in forensic issues in Knoxville, Tennessee, and blogs at Dr. Helen.

I hate parties anyway... unless I know there will be no lefties in attendance.
There is perceived safety in standing inside the crowd. It's cool to be safe and look down on those taking risks. It is cool to make fun of those who choose to live by the rules. It is cool to target the weak to prove your strength. That said, I don't think I have ever been very cool.
Now that I am firmly established in my adult years, I don't want to conform to what the world thinks is cool. I like what I like, and I create the stories that I want to read. Whether or not anyone else likes them is up to them.
For a display of herd mentality, watch highway traffic when there is a cop around. Everybody hits the brakes. It is like a herd of antelope and a lion. Everyone is terrified that they are going to be the one singled out, even if everyone is going the speed limit. Then you have people slowing down, not because they see the cop, but because everyone else is doing it (safety notwithstanding).
When I was in high school there was a cool clique. Most of us didn't know about tracking but when all the "cool" kids turned out to be the sons and daughters of the town elite it didn't take long to figure it out. Then we took to picking fights and beating the crap of the boys every chance we got. My senior year was soooo much fun. And the cool kids learned not to wise off to the rest of us.
Greg Gutfeld is awesome. I plan on reading his book soon.

Onto the question: yes people especially teens and mid twenty somethings are willing to give up some values in order to be a part of the in crowd.

I've done it before but the older people get I feel(and hope) we get wiser realizing that all this is nothing. One big fat nothing in the grand scheme.
Is the Obamacare posterboy in the red and black "onesie" pajamas drinking hot chocolate cool? A hipster? I get so confused these days.
It's because, Dr. Helen, our modern times are centered around sex, sex, sex, sex, sex, sex, sex, sex, sex, sex, sex.

And for most of the under-35 generation, having been brought up so sexualized in a world that itself has been severely sexualized, there's nothing worse to them than the threat of not "getting any".