Ohio Paper Can’t Find a Single Person to Argue Against Legalizing Pot… Really??

Better headline: Hipster Editors of Low-Circulation Alternative Paper Don't Know Anyone Who Doesn't Favor Decriminalization.

Paula Bolyard

April 30, 2014 - 8:00 am

JufvvCB-650x650

According to Mediaite, an “Ohio Paper Can’t Find a Single Person to Argue Against Legalizing Pot.” On 4/15, the Dayton City Paper (DCP) published a “debate” about marijuana legalization it its “forum” section. DCP moderator Alex Culpepper offered a fairly balanced introduction to the debate followed by a pro-legalization piece, “Debate Left: Don’t Believe the Damning Hype About Marijuana” by Marianne Stanley, who is listed as a DCP blogger on the paper’s website. Next to Stanley’s opinion piece is a large empty space with the following disclaimer:

[Editor's note: On behalf of the Dayton City Paper staff, we apologize, but we were unable to locate a debate writer who was able to submit a view opposed to the legalization of marijuana in Ohio at this time.]

The Dayton City Paper (not to be confused with the widely circulated mainstream Dayton Daily News) is a free weekly alternative newspaper that describes itself this way:

Dayton City Paper offers pages full of challenges to prevailing notions, investigations of local institutions and voices that are not those of the usual figureheads in the community. Our entertainment pages are filled with local talent — jazz musicians, filmmakers and musicians. The paper is unabashedly local, unashamedly grassroots and absolutely alternative. And the Dayton market loves it.

DCP claims a circulation of 18,000 (and somehow that swells to a readership of 132,000) through its distribution at over 500 pick-up locations, marketed to an audience you would expect to support legalizing pot:

Dayton City Paper consistently delivers a valuable audience mix of professionals, community leaders and university students. This is an audience interested in our unique coverage of music, art and independent thought. These are readers that other print media wish they could have: professional women, young adults, the highly educated and those with high disposable incomes and the imagination to spend creatively.

None of my friends in Dayton have even heard of the paper, for what that’s worth, and even many Reddit users from the area had never heard of it, though those who did said it was mainly distributed in student-oriented bars and shops around several Dayton-area universities and colleges.

Is it possible that DCP couldn’t find a single person willing to argue against legalizing pot? Well, anything is possible, but the more likely scenario is that the cool kids over at DCP don’t actually associate with the types of people who might be in opposition — or even know where to find them. Their disclaimer (and the celebratory headline that followed from Mediaite) suggests an editorial staff that didn’t try very hard. And I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out studies showing that long-term cannabis use stifles motivation. You can draw your own conclusion.

In addition to writing for PJ Tatler and PJ Lifestyle, Paula also writes for Ohio Conservative Review, and RedState. She is co-author of a new Ebook called, Homeschooling: Fighting for My Children’s Future. She is a member of the Wayne County Executive Committee. Paula describes herself as a Christian first, conservative second, and Republican third.

What kind of fool would not want to legalize pot? One significant benefit of pot legalization involves the decentralization of authority back to the state level. However, to remain a nation of laws, i would urge all lawmakers from pot legalized states to sponsor legislation repealing federal prohibition of said weed. The states that choose to empower potheads can sit back and enjoy great productivity gains in the potato chip, sofa and big screen sectors.
MEDICAL MARIJUANA: Having laid in bed crying & screaming in agonizing pain for months on end with cancer/chemo because pain pills don 't work on me, (neither opiates or NSAIDS), I have become an advocate for the legal adult use (or minor child use, when administered by an adult) of Medical Cannabis. I have not tried it...YET...because our laws in NV, make it still 1/2 illegal & 1/2 legal. I will when it's fully legal.
RECREATIONAL MARIJUANA: I have NEVER seen, in our Constitution, where this is the governments business. We have laws concerning EVERYTHING that can go wrong to anyone as a result of Marijuana, so let's use those laws & that should do it!!
According to the Bible, there are three profound changes that occurred at the beginning of our world; Creation, The Fall of man and The Flood. During each of these events God took time out from all that was going on at the time to instruct man on a diet consisting of a green seed-bearing herb that was to be used as meat.

1) Creation. Genesis ch1. During the Creation account: Genesis 1:29 - "And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat." vs 31 - "And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good." KJV

2) The Fall of man. Genesis ch 3. After Adam and Eve disobeyed God and ate of the forbidden fruit, God said to Adam in ch 3:18 - "Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field…" Obviously this herb survived the curse from the fall of man that came into the world.

3) The Flood. Genesis 9. After Noah's arc had safely landed in the new world - 9:1 "And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth. 9:3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things."

Not only did this herb survive the Fall, it also survived the Flood! Here in Genesis 9 God changes mans diet to include (certain) animals. Along with this drastic change we see God once again instructing man on continuing on with the green herb as a part of their diet.

Do you know of any Bible believing Jews, Muslims or Christians who use a green seed-bearing herb in the way God intended - as meat?

The Chinese have been using cannabis sativa as one of their 50 herbal remedies for thousands of years helping quite literally billions of people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_Fundamental_Herbs#50_fundamental_herbs.
The Chinese are not alone. Yet, the governing bodies insist not enough is known about this "drug"… and that's why it remains illegal.
They couldn't even find someone to summarize Jerry Brown's arguments against legalization? I guess their pot-smoking readers don't follow the news.
"And I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out studies showing that long-term cannabis use stifles motivation. You can draw your own conclusion."

Thank you for letting me reach my own conclusion. People have been smoking marijuana in recent times for many, should I say many years. I think a study needs to be down on all the ignorant people who look at studies by the government and say it is so. Marijuana was made illegal by the very sources that we are fighting against today, Big Government and Crony capitalist. People need to wake up and see the true colors of these studies. If Marijuana was so bad then we would have seen the destruction of our kids many, many years ago.
The stuff around now isn't your grandfather's weed. It has extremely high levels of THC.
"...high levels of THC." This is a "GMO" product widely available illegally for those whose sole use of cannabis is intoxication. There are "heirloom " strains available (where Medical Cannabis is legally available & used as medicine). The "medicinal" cannabis has the CBD in balance with THC. Check out www.projectcbd.org.
I could argue strongly on both sides of the legalization argument- It is very true that its criminalization was rooted in crony capitalism and corrupt government. Cannabis and hemp are potentially very valuable and in the early 1930's a process for manufacturing paper using hemp was developed which threatened the personal fortune of William Randolph Hearst, who owned the very lucrative patent for manufacturing paper using wood. Hearst also held timber interests whose value would plummet should the manufacture of paper not be from wood. Additionally a criminal justice structure had been built to enforce prohibition which had recently been repealed so the war on drugs had its genesis- furnishing something to keep police services, prosecutors, and prisons going...

Having said that, I cannot bring myself to advocate for out and out legalization. We have enough problems with dealing with the fallout from alcohol abuse. Having used marijuana in the past myself I can attest that at least for me, it more than brought out my inner laziness and from what I've seen it does the same to some degree with other users. Some might be tempted to press for a comparison to alcohol to which I might respond that it's a proverbial apples to oranges comparison though I would actually see alcohol as the more toxic recreational substance with the caveat that marijuana hasn't undergone the same level of scrutiny that alcohol has- giving rise to a rehabilitation industry that needs a continuing supply of repentant abusers to be sustained... not to mention a cottage industry that depends on its own supply of abused and abusers to rehabilitate.

I'm not advocating that weed remain illegal because of those poor, starving prosecutors- there are plenty of reasons to step very carefully when moving to legalize- not the least of which is a culture that in its present form likely cannot handle what will result. What I question is the agenda... surely the powers that be are not going to pull a significant part of the rug from under a criminal justice industry that depends on a supply of drug offenders to be sustained. What do our "leaders" have in store to replace it?
"...it more than brought out my inner laziness"...most people are affected like this with a large bowl of white flour pasta. That's not enough of a reason to make it illegal. However, your crony capitalism info. nicely did the trick!!
I draw on my own personal experience and observations of others to simply say that while it should be legal, there are far better things for people to be doing. The same could be said for alcohol and I do not favor reinstating prohibition. I think something I didn't say was that I have my doubts about the ability of our current culture as it stands to handle legalization- not that I think more people would be using but those who limit their use currently because of the legal repercussions would use excessively, creating problems that would justify reversing legalization.
So what?

Every city has these throw away rags.

Used to be when you showed up at the deli or coffee shop by yourself they were decent enough entertainment and you could get good info on which bands were playing, events, some articles of local interest written by people who were trying to break in to the real market, ads by very, how should I say it, less than moral entrepreneurs, offbeat stuff.

Print media is going away. No need to deal with all of that paper when you are bored waiting for your lunch, you have much more than that from your phone.

True enough that even in Ohio the majority, not by much, could care less about Pot. .

I lived in Dayton Ohio for awhile , four years. Nice place. If anyone gets the chance the Air Force museum is worth the trip.
Heh.