Adventures in Low Carb: Collard Greens

Sometimes the magic works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Charlie Martin

April 5, 2014 - 9:00 am

IMG_0044

So I’ve been trying to ramp up the veggies and I like collard greens but it’s a pain to cook them in a big batch. So, I thought, how about the Microwave? The package suggested cooking them for 13 minutes, but I was only cooking half a package, so I tried 6 minutes. They were a little rare.

Then I added a little butter and tried 4 more minutes. You see the results above.

For future reference, collard greens that catch fire aren’t a good choice.

Charlie Martin writes on science, health, culture and technology for PJ Media. Follow his 13 week diet and exercise experiment on Facebook and at PJ Lifestyle

No, Charlie, you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to nuke it till it GLOWS!

If blacked fish is popular, why not blackened greens?
Oh, believe me, set fire to some collards and you'll know.
My wife makes a spinach pie (not often enough) and it's pretty good. Has anyone tried using collard greens instead of spinach? I'd like to hear more.
I haven't tried collards in the microwave, but my experience with vegetables in the microwave is to do a small amount, 1 to 3 helpings, in a covered Pyrex bowl with a little water in the bottom of the dish. The cooking takes place in an atmosphere of steam, so the overheating is avoided.

I dearly love collard greens, and I cook them in a large pressure cooker for ten minutes. I use the large pressure cooker so as to do a whole bag. I fry three or four strips of bacon, cut up, and mix these and crushed red peppers with the greens, with about 1/2 inch of water to make steam.