Paula Bolyard

March 19, 2014 - 9:00 am

10012579_745335138819517_178258266_n

Last weekend mysterious posters of Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) appeared in various locations around Beverly Hills. The posters featured an image of Cruz’s head — complete with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth — photoshopped onto a heavily inked torso. The headline on the posters read, “Beverly Hilton: Ted Cruz’s So-Cal ‘Blacklisted and Loving It’ Tour.” Cruz was in California last weekend to speak at the Claremont Institute’s Churchill dinner.

The story went viral, appearing in media outlets as diverse as Drudge, Breitbart, Time, and Huffington Post. Most of them applauded Cruz’s sense of humor when he tweeted: “Saw this, but noticed an error. So I wanted to make one thing clear: I don’t smoke cigarettes.” Cruz later signed a poster that turned up in his dressing room before the Churchill dinner with “The fight for liberty never ends.”

By Saturday morning the Twitterverse was demanding to know who was behind the posters — where could people buy them and would there be t-shirts?

We now have answers to these questions and in an exclusive interview with PJ Media, Sabo, the artist who created the Ted Cruz bad boy posters, tells the story behind them and talks about using street art as a way to take political messages to those who won’t traditionally listen to the Right.

Sabo, an articulate and in-your-face 46-year-old street artist, former Marine, and self-professed Hollywood Republican, grew up in Texas and Louisiana. His Twitter profile says, “I am not a Left-Wing-Zombie-Artist. I am on the edge, the only true rebel artist in LA.” According to his website, UNSAVORYAGENTS (where he’s currently selling Cruz posters), Sabo believes the Right has a great message, but he is frustrated that the Republicans refuse to counter attacks from the Left. He thinks those on the Right are not very well-educated or equipped in fighting back. “A lot of times we simply can’t because they own so many platforms. I find that frustrating,” said Sabo.

He is aiming to change that, one poster at a time.

Ted Cruz is no Putin.

He's a good man.

But then, I don't expect you to understand that.
I'm finally getting it

No; you're not.
Thanks to Paula Bolyard for interviewing Sabo, and thanks to Sabo for the great artwork that clearly makes statements that many of us agree with. I was fascinated that someone with talent, finally, has come along and be good at creating a center-right message through art. It's awesome, and kudos to Sabo for not only going great work, but for standing his ground too because everything he said in the interview and on his site, I agree with 100%.
Hold on a moment. The LEFT is getting all the messages out? Whoever said that sure doesn't live in Texas where anyone who even appears to be a millimeter to the left is excoriated in a millisecond.
I loath Cruz. He is a very dangerous man. The fact that nobody on the right is willing to admit it does not see what he is planning and why. As a committed member of the John Birch Society...oops, sorry, they call themselves the tea party now, but they are still the old JBS.
The Tea Party is racist, period. Their intent is to eventually turn our Republic into a Fascist State.

Yeah, okay, just a woman's point of view. My doctorate isn't in history, but that does not mean that I am ignorant of history, particularly political history.

We've already lost most of our Republic, that was the gift of the Citizens United decision. "Justice" Thomas should have recused himself as his wife was involved with CU, but so be it. We are now just inches from becoming an Oligarchy, if we're not already there.

The late Justice Brandeis said, "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."

Of course, he also said "Behind every argument is someone's ignorance." Well, I am not an ignorant person, I am, however an observer of political history and people like Cruz scare the hell out of me.

The worst thing I ever heard at a Tea Party function I saw on television was a woman who kept crying over and over again, "I want my white America back." Well, lady, that is something that never existed and never will exist. The fact that "white" people are becoming a minority is because they don't have as many children.

Cruz is a Latino, his father is so far to the right that he is approaching the left . I'm finished for today, I've got work to do.
"Cruz is a Latino, his father is so far to the right that he is approaching the left."

Are you a racist? What does Cruz's skin color have to do with anything?

Please, send a link to this person at a Tea Party "function" crying for "my white America back." Call me a skeptic...
This guy "Sabo" seems to have a sense of humor about himself! That will NEVER DO for a liberal
All conservatives have to be attacked, lied about, misquoted, and generally abused or you'll NEVER make it as a "Liberal" anything!!
Why heck!!
Sabo just about made Cruz a "Rock Star" That's a "NO-NO" in "liberalspeak"!
I effing love this poster man. He is exactly what Bill Whittle and Glenn Beck talk about - take back the Culture! We need to get with what works!
Relax Folks.......[ericD, is short for Eric Holder]........"ericD", & he
is late taking his "meds", & can't be responsible for his Liberal "mis-statements". Ted Cruz, "IS" electable, & he makes "too much sense".......Another truly patriotic "center right" Conservative.....That Liberal's "FEAR"......& they should!
The way Ted Cruz responded to it was a classic.
I think he should use it as an ad in 2016.
Man's work shines , and he is right . It is acceptable for the progressives to pretty much do as they will , and for the most part , conservatives and Republicans just sit on their thumbs . Ook

Validate your 2nd Amendment Rights . Carry !
If Cruz's head was on a woman's body it would be more appropriate
There are many cool aspects to his campaign. Here is one. It cannot be answered by the usual leftist idiot slogans. There is an excellent example on this thread courtesy of some guy named Mark v. His flailing is sweet irony. A vandal?? Really? Oh, I see, art is vandalism? Well, it's obvious that Mark v is an ignorant redneck who is too unrefined to appreciate that spreading art is spreading beauty. Then there is this: destruction of private property. Oh, I see. But Mark v apparently didn't see this coming: Occupy.

Have you noticed the paucity of negative comments from the usual sources? Reason? They can't think of any without doing what Mark v has done, digging a hole and then falling in it.

Put yourself in the position of a leftist who would like to respond. What could you say? Well, they are still trying to figure that out and that's why I love this guy. He is attacking them on a front they cannot defend and he is landing hard shots. If Mark v is the best they can come up with, then Sabo has a clear field of fire from a position that cannot be counterattacked. His work, visually, is very, very cool. People get cool, they get it the instant they see it. I NEED a Cruz t-shirt.
A vandal?? Really? Oh, I see, art is vandalism? "

No, defacing other people's property is vandalism. Saying that it's okay because it's "art" is adopting a Marxist value system.

This country has been dumbed down so far that even supposed conservatives fundamentally think like Marxists, and don't even know it.

I agree Nomad. There is no response. It's brilliant, heartfelt, raw.
Cruz is unelectable. And there is nothing artistic about ultra conservatives, nothing. Art requires tolerance and openness, not closed mindedness. Hate kills creativity. This is why conservative media is inferior. Stop hating and conservatives might gain a foothold in society.
That has got to be the dumbest, least intelligent, stupidest, most moronic comment I have EVER heard. If you even THINK that EricD's comment makes ANY sense WHATSOEVER, then you are as deluded as he is. Why didn't he just use the standard "he's a racist" race card on Sabo, it would make about as much sense. Folks, this guy, EricD, is a poster boy for stupidity and Marxist thought. His comments are akin to the ideology of the KKK and other loser supremacist groups. What a child.
EricD, you obviously have no idea who conservatives really are. Go and do your homework, then we'll talk.
Guerrilla campaign! Let's start the party!
I love this poster, and Cruz's reaction to it!
1 2 Next View All