Radio Shack Shutting Down 26% Of Stores

I'm reminded of what happened to The Sharper Image...

Stephen Green

March 6, 2014 - 9:30 am

shack-101204-1

Radio Shack will close “underperforming” stores — and lots of them:

The struggling consumer electronics retailer announced Tuesday that it plans to close up to 1,100 underperforming stores in the U.S., or about 26% of its current company-owned stores.

“Over the past few months, we have undertaken a comprehensive review of our portfolio from many angles — location, area demographics, lease life and financial performance — in order to consolidate our store base into fewer locations while maintaining a strong presence in each market,” RadioShack CEO Joseph Magnacca said in a statement. “The result of that review is our plan to close up to 1,100 underperforming stores. We will continue to have a strong, unmatched presence across the U.S. with over 4,000 stores including over 900 dealer franchise locations.”

There is (was?) (soon won’t be?) a Radio Shack in here my tiny bedroom town of Monument, CO. The last time I was in there was about three years ago, when I absolutely had to buy an overpriced audio cable right the heck then. And I didn’t recognize the place as anything like the Radio Shack I used to know. Or as Jim Dalrymple said, “the RadioShack I grew up with lost its soul.”

I was reminded of what happened to The Sharper Image. What was once a place to geek out on really cool, hard-to-find nerd toys became a purveyor of gimmicky plastic crap.

Such a shame.

****

cross-posted from Vodkapundit

image via appleinsider.com

Stephen Green began blogging at VodkaPundit.com in early 2002, and has served as PJMedia's Denver editor since 2008. He's one of the hosts on PJTV, and one-third of PJTV's Trifecta team with Scott Ott and Bill Whittle. Steve lives with his wife and sons in the hills and woods of Monument, Colorado, where he enjoys the occasional lovely adult beverage.

Tangentially related, Heathkit has been teasing a comeback for awhile now.
I can't claim to be a prolific project person, but when I do have the need for *parts* (like audio cords or solder) I always think of Radio Shack first, sigh, then go somewhere else. They made the transition to an overpriced electronic toy store and are now suffering the consequences.
I'm torn.

From The New York Times (April 2, 1995) QUOTE After nearly a century of monitoring telegraph distress calls that included the Titanic's after her collision with an iceberg in 1912, the United States Coast Guard has turned off its Morse code equipment. UNQUOTE

The world IS changing. The guys who grew up reading Electrical Experimenter and its ilk are in nursing homes now. I used to hit Radio Shack for short wave related materials. Now their short wave section consists of plastic boxes Made in China.

Sigh.
RadioTrash has been garbage as long as I can remember. I suppose my first encounter with them was probably in the early 80s, though, so maybe they were good before then.

Come to think of it, they got busted for selling AA batteries wrapped in C and D cell containers around that time. Some 'consumer advocate' cut them open right on TV, and showed the AA cell inside the D and C cases. I can't imagine why they thought they could get away with that for long.

I've had to go them as an absolutely last "I'm desperate" resort too many times over the years, and I've never bought anything there more complicated than a roll of solder that was of decent quality.

And I'm not sure about the solder.

Let 'em die.

Well, their stores lack any character, that's for certain. That and iffy product knowledge by their staff.

But, as far as quality goes, Tandy hasn't manufactured a single product for decades. Everything in their stores is re-branded, and a lot of it is good - Hitatchi, Sony, etc. If you scrutinize closely (maybe 5% of us?), you can get good deals on great stuff there.