How Will Spanking Bill That Allows Bruising Restore Parental Rights?

A Kansas lawmaker is proposing a bill that would allow teachers, caregivers, and parents to spank children hard enough to leave marks.

Rhonda Robinson

February 19, 2014 - 3:00 pm

rottenkid

From the AP via Yahoo:

A Kansas lawmaker is proposing a bill that would allow teachers, caregivers and parents to spank children hard enough to leave marks.

Current Kansas law allows spanking that doesn’t leave marks. State Rep. Gail Finney, a Democrat from Wichita, says she wants to allow up to 10 strikes of the hand and that could leave redness and bruising. The bill also would allow parents to give permission to others to spank their children.

It would continue to ban hitting a child with fists, in the head or body, or with a belt or switch.

Finney says she wants to restore parental rights and improve discipline.

Under the guise of “restoring parental rights and improving discipline,” this bill neutralizes parents’ authority and their ability to protect their children from harm.

To say that it is permissible for teachers and babysitters to strike a child with up to 10 blows opens the door to child abuse.

Parents don’t need permission from the state to discipline their own children– and parents need to stop asking for it. The state has cast a shadow of fear of prosecution over parents. In doing so, it has created a generation that feels powerless to control their children–so many of them abdicated their responsibility. Giving teachers and babysitters the right to leave whelps and bruises won’t fix that.

If the state really wants to restore parental rights and improve discipline in schools, it needs to get out of the way. Stop viewing children as if they were a national resource to be regulated and cultivated. Give parents the respect and support they deserve.

Discipline is not a one-size-fits-all proposition. A course of discipline that’s needed to keep one child alive can destroy another. Parenting is a skill, one that is learned through trial and error and can only be tempered by sacrificial and unconditional love.

Here is a recent Facebook post from a mother,

He’s not even 2 yet and he’s so hard to keep up with! I’ve never had to take naps until now! In ONE week, he had a cold, then an ear infection, flushed my bra down the toilet, swallowed 2 marbles, set my stove on fire, (long story), choked on a sucker (which was the hardest and scariest moment. Never had my [paramedic] husband say LET’S GO TO THE ER NOW! That was scary. We ended up not going-he was fine, thanks to his daddy! Then tonight he stuffed 3 popcorn seeds up his nose. I’m sooooo tired, need prayers for strength…Thank you for understanding why I haven’t done much to the house.

You can’t legislate parenting any more than you can pass a law that will create good kids.

***********************

Photo Credit: Shutterstock,  Sofi photo

Rhonda Robinson writes on the social, political and parenting issues currently shaping the American family. She lives with her husband and teenage daughter in Middle Tennessee. www.amotherslife.me Follow on twitter @amotherslife
Mom says: "Spanking is rarely necessary, but the threat of spanking is essential." If a young child is fascinated by putting their tongue in an electrical receptacle or their hand in a gas burner, by all means bruise their little behind. You are providing the pain they would have felt had they succeeded without the accompanying possibility of injury or death. Nature made pain for a purpose, to teach avoidance of dangerous behavior, so use a little of the pain to help the kid.

As to corporal punishment by school officials, however, no. I don't trust them.
This x1000.

Growing up if my parents said "no" they meant it. If I disobeyed them.....well let's just say I generally wasn't a repeat offender.
My personal observations (I have no data to back this up) lead me to believe that corporal punishment is less frequent and less severe in Jewish families. If this is indeed true, it might explain why Jews are so likely to be successful.
Teaching in a Community College gave witness to adults from all corners of county and IQ's, background, customs, and beliefs. It was obvious that the taking away spanking in some families took away the only tool they understood or could use. Some cannot be taught to do something they do not have skills to do. Some emotionally, get mind block in confrontation and cannot think to do successful alternatives to spanking. The time for them to use does not exist in their lives. So see problem, solve problem is what will happen. Without the spanking tool, they leave children to rear themselves, and do not correct. They have to call Law Enforcement and in and out of court problems till they push kid out at 18 to fend in criminal life for themselves. Also, some kids do not respond to talking. They respond to power enforced. That simple.
The problem, sad to say, is not such proposed legislation; it's about keeping the local out-of-control "family services" Nazis at bay. They are happy to take a family's kids away. Show them a bruise on a kid, that would be all the probable cause they need.

Sounds to me like the proposed law is designed to hold these brownshirts at bay. "Look, the law says I can bruise my kids, so take a hike." I'm not saying no kids should ever be taken away from any parents, but this would at least, perhaps, raise the bar a bit. As things stand now, the Leftwaffen needs to follow very little in the way of due process. All part of the war on the family.
I agree. Teachers here are bound by law to report any marks on children that could have been caused by abuse. The marks could also have been caused by normal childhood activities, but explain that to the "authorities." Guilty until proven innocent. (Also, "whelps" are puppies. I think the writer meant "welts.")
and how does one define a "bruise" ?????
We must admit that in some schools a certain degree of fear is still present... it is the teacher who fears the students.

"How Will Spanking Bill That Allows Bruising..."

So is Monica L. up first?
Restoring parental rights by allowing teachers and babysitters to inflict discipline? Ok...

As to corporal punishment by school officials, however, no. I don't trust them.
I have rarely needed to spank my children. Why? Because they knew (from experience) that I would spank them if they crossed certain lines!

Now, is spanking abusive? No, not unless you are beating your kids. Spanking is discipline. (Not adequately disciplining your kids when they're out of control, now that is abusive!)
Children may need a little whack on the butt, now and then, to get their attention but there is no reason to hit a child hard enough to leave marks. That is merely parental anger taking over.
I got many, many spankings as a child. I was always told why I was being spanked and what course of action I should have done instead. I can remember a small red mark that stayed once. I do remember a few times thinking I was about to get a spanking, but my father went and took a walk or something instead. I know now that he felt too angry to spank me those times. A small bruise once, maybe twice, is an accident. Every spanking? That's going too far.
Exactly. Also, the chances are that, given that authority to people that could care less for the child, many children would feel the full impact of that allowance unjustly.
1 2 Next View All