13 Weeks: A New Year

Refocusing for a new year of experiments.

Charlie Martin

December 21, 2013 - 8:49 am

shutterstock_98282957

Yeah, I sort of went missing for a while there. As some of you may recall, I had been looking for a new day job, and went out to San Francisco to audition with a startup. The company is Sumazi and it’s in the social media world, but still somewhat in stealth mode, so I can’t talk about it too much yet. In any case, I’ve joined Sumazi; as befits an Internet company, I’m working out of my home in Colorado and not moving to San Francisco.

The interruption of traveling to San Francisco and all did interfere with my previous 13 Weeks experiment; as I said before, sometimes it’s just a learning experience. But in two weeks it’ll be past the Time of Diet Horror and Family Drama and it will be time to start a new experiment, so I’m getting my head around what I want to try next.

In the year-plus I’ve been doing that, I’ve come to see these 13-week experiments don’t have to all be about what I’m eating; several other people have used the 13-week framework to do other things, from reading plans to personal finance. I think now what is important is that by establishing a change to try, and a limited period in which to try it, what we’re really doing is establishing a structure for experiments in living life.

So this last six weeks have given me some other ideas; there are other things I want to change.

My best friend's aunt makes $88/hr on the computer. She has been without a job for six months but last month her paycheck was $16313 just working on the computer for a few hours. i was reading this >>>>>>
"The obvious thing is to make sure I get some exercise every day.

But I don’t have to like it."

You know, you seem like an interesting guy who's off track, constantly.

The idea that you have to remind yourself to go outside or get up from your chair...I don't know. What you need isn't more scheduling stuff. Hell, you can get that in grade school. Are you telling me that my kid going to class 8 times a day is cutting edge?

I think you're just really into parsing stuff out. That's probably why you are attracted to Buddhism without really being a Buddhist. You know a helluva lot a about it, but the living seems out of reach.

It probably isn't fair to say, 'relax,' but that's how I react to a lot of your writing. I'm not in your shoes and I'm clueless about your situation. You seem very cut-off. You wouldn't be putting yourself out there unless a) you're a hopeless case who will suck the energy out of anybody who will listen or b) you are looking for solutions to some of your life's dramas.

Here's the deal. Get off your ass and get outside. You live in your head too much. I know a lot of people with problems. Actually, everyone has problems. You seem to be making a career out of yours. Get out of your head and get in the game. This second hand observing life stuff is going to kill you. Buddhists DO stuff. So do it.

Golly, after the time in the monastery and the sesshins and stuff, I sure *thought* I was a Buddhist. All that head shaving for nothing?

The point about relaxing and getting out some more is a good one, see the next 13 weeks column.
Charlie, I look forward to reading about more of your experiences with working on multiple projects and life balance. Pomodoro sounds interesting. I will try it the next time I'm involved in a longer piece of writing. Have you ever seen a picture of bobbin lace work in process? It is a piece of lace with dozens of threads attached to bobbins radiating out from it. To make the lace you manipulate these threads. Life seems like that sometimes. It would be easy if you could get rid of a lot of the threads, but you can't always.
On the health side, I'm back on a serious no-wheat no-sugar regimen. Had good success with that, then fell off the wagon a bit. My basic daily exercise these days is two miles on a Stamina Air Rower. For some reason, rowing machines are the only exercise machines that don't bore me silly, maybe because it is pretty much whole-body exercise and because you vary the pace at will as you go.
Lately I have been countering my worrywart tendencies by consciously daydreaming about a glorious future time of fulfillment and achievement, after the annoying tasks of the moment are long done and forgotten. I think this whole project of living life consciously and finding ways to make real changes and new perspectives is fun, empowering, and important.
Good luck with your new job, Charlie, and congratulations on finding one so quickly!
Well, while everyone is on vacation for the next two weeks, I am going to be cleaning out and organizing my office as well as trying to get back on track with my weight.
Thanks for the project references!
Charlie, I ran across "Free the Animal's" ideas on resistant starch from a link on the 13 weeks Facebook page. You might want to incorporate resistant starch as a way to help with BG regulation. http://freetheanimal.com/2013/12/resistant-primer-newbies.html
Maybe you should consider the exercise program T-Tapp. It's an amazing program. I've been doing it for a year. You need no equipment and just 4 square feet of space. T-Tapp has great results with lowering blood sugar levels! Also PEAK8 by Dr. Mercola (see Mercola.com). It's a high intensity interval training program you can do in about 20 minutes and only need to do it 2x per week. Have a great new year!!!
What is Pomodo? I've been trying to find a cheap copy of MS project because now that I'm venturing out of a dark period, I have 5 equally important priorities to accomplish over the next 6 months and no idea how to structure my time to advance each one. I prefer to knock out tasks consecutively.
Pomodoro is a simple technique for structuring time: you get a timer and break time into 25 minute work periods broken up by 5 minute breaks. I described it more fully here: http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2013/08/07/the-tomato-on-my-desk-is-ticking/

For Microsoft Project, here are a couple of articles with recommendations:

And how to advance all these projects is something that's on my mind too, keep following this year's columns.

Have you considered some volunteering? It can be a good change of pace. Just a couple of examples, Boys & Girls Club and Big Brothers/Sisters make it fairly easy. And the kids, until about the middle of high school, are almost always lively and interested.
I do a fair amount of volunteer stuff of my own devising. Every time I've been around one of those "volunteer" organizations, though, I've eventually left lest I strangle some idiot and make people talk.
I've become a Pomodoro-er too thanks to Charlie and Sarah's encouragement. It's great.

Monkey2111 -- my suggestion on the 5 projects in six months? Do the same thing that I did for my Radical Reading Regimen - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. That's 5 days of the week - therefore each day focus a bit on one of your tasks. And it's fine to give yourself the flexibility -- if one of them needs a little extra attention on a particular day or you're in a groove with one then go for it. Just try and touch base on your project even for just 10 or 15 minutes on its given day.
Thank you, gentlemen--I'll read the articles and give that 5-day system a try.