The Empire Strikes Back Screenwriter Back on for Star Wars VII

Encouraging news in the quest to avoid the disaster of the prequels.

Stephen Green

October 25, 2013 - 10:00 am

empire_strikes_back_large_verge_medium_landscape

Best. News. Evah:

J.J. Abrams and “Star Wars” veteran Lawrence Kasdan have taken over screenwriting duties on “Star Wars: Episode VII,” replacing Michael Arndt, who was originally hired to pen the project.

“I am very excited about the story we have in place and thrilled to have Larry and J.J. working on the script,” said Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. “There are very few people who fundamentally understand the way a ‘Star Wars’ story works like Larry, and it is nothing short of incredible to have him even more deeply involved in its return to the big screen. J.J. of course is an incredible storyteller in his own right. Michael Arndt has done a terrific job bringing us to this point and we have an amazing filmmaking and design team in place already prepping for production.”

If it weren’t for Kasdan’s script and Irvin Kershner’s direction, The Empire Strikes Back would have been a Lucas-infested and disappointing sequel. Instead, it’s inarguably the best movie of the original trilogy.

I have a new hope for the upcoming sequels.

*******
Cross-posted from Vodkapundit

Stephen Green began blogging at VodkaPundit.com in early 2002, and has served as PJMedia's Denver editor since 2008. He's one of the hosts on PJTV, and one-third of PJTV's Trifecta team with Scott Ott and Bill Whittle. Steve lives with his wife and sons in the hills and woods of Monument, Colorado, where he enjoys the occasional lovely adult beverage.

Excellent news. I was hoping Kasdan would be in on the new Star Wars films. Looking forward to see what he does with the new characters and the old.
“There are very few people who fundamentally understand the way a ‘Star Wars’ story works..."

Sadly, George Lucas is no longer one of them.

I think Kasdan's participation is a very good thing. Best of luck to him and Abrams.
I know. Personally, George Lucas is to Kasdan what Stan Lee is to Jack Kirby at Marvel. IE, a leftist tool who barely seems to do much while the latter was largely responsible for many of Marvel's flagship characters. Actually, that might be unfair, because Lucas at least created Star Wars: Stan Lee can't even hold that title for Marvel as Jack Kirby created most if not all of its flagship characters, even Spiderman (the only character I can think of that Stan Lee actually may have created entirely by himself without Kirby's involvement was Stripperella.).

Very good luck to Kasdan. At least I have full confidence they won't pull any suckerpunches on Star Wars this time around (unlike, say, Return of the Jedi where Lucas effectively decided to make Endor into propaganda for the Viet Cong and the Vietnam War with Ewoks as the Vietcong. I'll never forgive Lucas for that.).
I saw that about "Return." He rather failed in that regard since most people hated the Ewoks, at least after hearing the "Yub Nub" song at the end of the movie. If you've seen the movie a couple of times they get more ridiculous each time.

What I find most unforgivable though was Lucas's supposed fixes. All he did was clutter up scenes with digitally added characters, throw in dialog and cut scenes that broke the flow of the original movie, etc. In "Empire" for example, he added several cuts and dialog after Vader thinks he killed Luke. In in original I recall Vader walking along in brooding silence then being on the Star Destroyer. The fix has him banally order "prepare my shuttle" then has cuts of him boarding the shuttle then it flying to the Star Destroyer. Did Lucas think the audience too stupid to figure out Vader had taken a shuttle back to the ship or that that was where he was going in the brooding scene? The silence of the original made him frightening, ringing up his shuttle made him crass.

Then there is digitally adding the "new" emperor. In the original, you never saw his face in that big hologram. The view was from the side and was menacing. The new version seeing him straight on just looked goofy.

Pity original versions are so hard to find on DVD, and then one can't be sure they are legit.
Thank God. In an era where looking at the news makes me physically ill each day, I'll take all the good news I can get.