Stephen Green

October 23, 2013 - 12:00 pm

NOAH

Who in their right mind thought Darren Aronofsky was the right director to helm a Biblical epic? I always enjoy a new Aronofsky movie, but I’m honestly waiting with glee for the stinktastic box office results on this one.

Maybe I’ll eventually put Noah in the Netflix queue for one of our “Must Have Cocktails for This One” movie nights.

****

Cross-posted from Vodkapundit

Stephen Green began blogging at VodkaPundit.com in early 2002, and has served as PJMedia's Denver editor since 2008. He's one of the hosts on PJTV, and one-third of PJTV's Trifecta team with Scott Ott and Bill Whittle. Steve lives with his wife and sons in the hills and woods of Monument, Colorado, where he enjoys the occasional lovely adult beverage.

Aronofsky is good at twisted people in fantasy settings, so why not?

Still, it's going to be hard to ever top the greatest Biblical epic ever:

From what I've read, the whole idea was his. He approached the studio with it.

But the studio decided wanted something to sell to Christians and Jews, apparently, not what he wanted.

Remember about 10 years ago, Hollywood had the brilliant idea to put out that atheist fantasy movie (Golden Compass) for Christmas?
That movie was so close to great. Kidman was perfect casting. But the last 10% takes 90% of the work, and I think the production just didn't get there. The script wasn't quite great, either. Adaptations are tough.

The books are a great read. I'm sorry the movie trilogy didn't work out.
I can't imagine actually wanting to see a Noah movie (Act I: Construction. Act II: Floating), so a bats--t one from Aronofsky seems as good as any. I watched that video of the trailer, and it's impossible to see Crowe as Noah and not think of Superman, though.