Chicago’s Patriotic New Single Sounds Like a South Park Parody

Back in 1970 the guys in Chicago were all for "revolution." Sounds like they've changed their tune.

Kathy Shaidle

October 11, 2013 - 11:00 am

index

I honestly thought this song was a gag.

While searching for something completely different on YouTube, the video for Chicago’s new single, “America,” popped up into my line of sight.

Yes, dinosaur group Chicago is still around, although how many original members are still in the band, or even still alive, I couldn’t tell you.

Normally I ignore them, but because their single is called “America,” my curiosity was aroused.

I braced myself and hit the “play” button, figuring I was in for one of those faux-melancholy “I wish America was as liberal noble and wise as I am” tunes a la John Cougar Mellencamp or Bruce Springsteen.

It wasn’t.

In a weird kind of way, what I heard was something worse.

YouTube Preview Image

And secondly the writer of this article maam chicago II did have a few love songs that were hoping to inspire love but it did have the politically motivated songs like "it better end soon", "poem for the people","where do we go from here", and "the road" so don't just look at it listen next time and really pay attention please
25 or 6 to 4 was written while he was in a hotel room thinking of a song when he looked at the clock it was 3:35 or 3:36 in the morning that song had no reference to lsd and this was from several interviews done with the band themselves
The self proclaimed revolutionaries in the band Chicago have interesting connections. The band's long time manager/producer, Peter Schivarelli, was the guy who didn't get the streets plowed fast enough to save Mayor Bilandic's political career.

In a local 1987 news stories that had insiders chuckling for years, Peter shot an intruder to his Chicago mansion who had woke him in the middle of the night with an unregistered small caliber semi-automatic pistol he told the police "a guest had recently left in the home." It's a considerate friend indeed who leaves his gun where you can find it at 2 am when awakened by a blow to the face. The story mentioned a connection to the Spilatro brothers. He also claimed as friends the late hit man Frank "The German: Schweihs and the late Congressman Dan Rostenkowksi.

my classmate's sister-in-law makes $68/hr on the internet. She has been out of work for five months but last month her check was $21971 just working on the internet for a few hours. this post...... WWW.Rush64.COM
I saw them a couple of times in the '67-'70 incarnation at big outdoor festivals. Unlike many bands of that era they were quite good live. I never thought of them as a very political band. Their marketing pandered to their natural audience; late teen, early twenties who thought they were oh-so hip and a certain amount of lefty politics just came naturally with that. I figured them for a bunch of music majors who finally figured out how to get laid.
they need more cowbell
Chicago's late 60's/turn-of-the-70's stuff was great but then they went all wimpy and Christopher Cross-ish. I don't care what anyone says, "25 or 6 to 4" is a frickin' brilliant song.
But what does the title mean exactly??
In '69 or '70 if you'd ever been alone in your apartment or dorm room coming down off acid at 25 or 6 to 4, you knew exactly what they were talking about.
"Saturday in the park
I think it was the Fourth of July..."

And...and...what?
Their lyrics never made much sense to me, and I don't blame me. The song is like a bisexual. It can go either way.

Nota bene: There is absolutely no mention of (sssssssshhhh) the President. All the blame is put directly on Congress, the cowboy poet and the heretic are in the Congressional cloud, so any interpretation is excusable.

Kathy gives us quotes from the liner notes:
"With this album, we dedicate ourselves, our futures and our energies to the people of the Revolution. And the Revolution in all of its forms."

In all its forms? The Syrian revolution? The Egyptian revolution? The Russian revolution? The Chinese, etc,.

Nonsense, mush, crap (h/t Klaven).

Pardons, my friend: Klavan.
I quit listening to bands spoon-feeding their political and social messages through song when these same bands that advocated revolution and denouncing Big Brother and the root of all evil - money - declared "everything is plastic" (read phony) etc - and were raking in dollars hand over fist - and quietly living the very lifestyles they were putting down in song. The phonies were the bands - not 'Mr. Business Man' or 'Big Brother' - the bands were the two-faced money grubbers with few exceptions - hypocritical in other words. And most still are.

I like Bob Dylan. He calls it what it is - and always has.

That was truly atrocious; I made it through maybe a minute.
1 2 Next View All