Woman Marries Herself!

When no one will marry you, you got to marry yourself!

Sarah Hoyt

October 7, 2013 - 9:00 am
Fine.  If he doesn't come, I'll marry myself.

Fine. If he doesn’t come, I’ll marry myself.

As Powerline blog notes, commenting on this same article, it’s getting harder and harder to distinguish supposedly serious news sites from the Onion.

According to the ever-entertaining and self-aggrandizing Huffington Post, Nadine Schweigert married herself and “opened up about self marriage.”

A 36-year-old North Dakota woman who married herself in a commitment ceremony last March has now spoken about her self-marriage choice in an interview with Anderson Cooper.

The marriage took place among friends and family who were encouraged to “blow kisses to the world” after she exchanged rings with her “inner groom”, My Fox Phoenix reports.

“I feel very empowered, very happy, very joyous … I want to share that with people, and also the people that were in attendance, it’s a form of accountability,” Nadien Schweigert told Anderson Cooper.

Schweigert said the ceremony was a celebration of how far she’d come since her painful divorce six years ago that led to her two children to decide to live with her ex-husband.

“Six years ago I would’ve handled a problem by going out and drinking,” she said. “I smoked, I was 50 pounds overweight … this is just celebrating how far I’ve come in my life.”

Note the delicate construction in that whole passage — six years ago she left her husband, and that’s how she handled “a problem” then — so what problem does she still have?  Presumably the fact that she remains alone, since women who have remarried rarely have to “marry themselves.”

And what form of “accountability” is she emphasizing?  What exactly is she promising herself?  To do the best she can for herself?  I thought that was just what we owed ourselves and society?

Or is her “commitment” and accountability to make the best of being alone?  And make it sound like a grand adventure?

Marriage by definition is the union of two individuals, who commit to each other.  Committing to… yourself?

Oh, honey, in my day we just called that being a spinster.

*****

Photo courtesy of Shutterstock,© Frantisek Czanner

Sarah Hoyt lives in Colorado with her husband, two sons and too many cats. She has published Darkship Thieves and 16 other novels, and over 100 short stories. Writing non-fiction is a new, daunting endeavor. For more on Sarah and samples of her writing, look around at Sarah A. Hoyt.com or check out her writing and life blog at According to Hoyt.com.

Are you kidding?? In North Dakota??

That place is crawling with so many Bakken oil guys that this woman must be seriously mentally damaged if she can't find one to wife her up.

I mean seriously, she must so bad that she's like the guy who couldn't get laid in a whorehouse with a pocket full of money.

Maybe there's a hint of the level of her psychosis in the fact that her kids wanted to go live with her ex-husband, just maybe....

So if she went with Narcissus to dinner, would that be considered a double date?
The problem isn't that this woman takes such a bizarre step. The problem is the social support that indulges her.
Being speechless, all I can come up with is OMG.
" ... her painful divorce six years ago that led to her two children to decide to live with her ex-husband."

Knowing the odds of a court awarding custody to a father, this passage tells so very much about her.

At the end of the ceremony, the preacher told her "You may now kiss yourself."
If she cheats on herself, will she wind up divorcing herself? What if she decides she wants an open marriage? That could cause some tension...."I knew I was never good enough for myself when I started cheating on myself with a man! I'm such a tramp!"
And this is what happens when we start to think that marriage is all about how to make ourselves happy rather than about forming a serious partnership for the rearing of our children and furthering of our families.
Is same sex marriage even legal in North Dakota?
Gee, no one wants to marry a narcissistic, self-indulgent harpy whose own children won't live with her?

I'm shocked. Shocked!
...but she didn't change her name to Denise Rodman?
Are you kidding?? In North Dakota??

If I recall correctly, PJM was all behind the re-definition of marriage. How could something like this possibly be a surprise?

As iron308 correctly notes, it was never about marriage per se but rather money and legal privileges.
Her "marriage" ceremony was purely that, ceremonial. There are no legal ramifications for what she has done.
Another article about nothing then on this site.
1 2 Next View All