5 Reasons Why Duck Dynasty Is a Great All-American Show

“It’s America, let it rip.” -- Phil Robertson

Kyle Smith

August 23, 2013 - 9:00 am

Now that the fourth season premiere of A&E’s Duck Dynasty has shattered the record for the highest-rated show of its kind in history, even bicoastal liberals are starting to check it out. Good for them, because the story of the Louisiana boys made good is a rousing parable about what it means to be sons and daughters of this country. As Phil Robertson, the inventor of the family duck call that made a fortune, once put it, “It’s America, let it rip.” Here are five reasons Duck Dynasty is the great All-American show of the moment.

1. The Robertsons are good ol’ boys.

Nothing turns up the nose of the elites and the Eurosnobs as much as the notion of a good ol’ boy, a redneck, a country bumpkin. Sensitive San Franciscans and multicultural Brooklynites alike revel in jokes about white trash, the only ethnic group it’s acceptable to look down on.

Television shows and movies generally avoid mention of places like Louisiana unless it’s to make fun of the inhabitants or to portray the Deep South as a hotbed of racism, extremism and hatred in general. But the family behind the Duck Commander fortune is an easygoing clan of honest, simple, unpretentious folk who love one another, play practical jokes, and stick to country values. The good ol’ boy is an almost uniquely American personality type. You’d be hard pressed to find a good ol’ boy in China or Germany.

donnaquixote
"Those people aren't typical of the people I know."

When I was just a young'un, growin' up in rural Indiana, we had a sayin':

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Over at the Purdue mathematics department, I was)
What the snobbish oh-so-sophisticates of America don't realize is that the Robertsons aren't making a parody of white Southern country culture a la "Tobacco Road". They're making a parody of the attitudes that the snobbish oh-so-sophisticates of America have about them. They're college-educated, they made themselves millionaires by entrepreneurship and hard work, and they made the decision to be what the oh-so-sophisticates sneer at: in other words, themselves. And they do it with gentle humor, the very worst thing anybody could do to oh-so-sophisticates.
One thing that's not mentioned and it's the thing that probably attracts so many people to it is you notice almost right off the bat the grandkids are polite. They are respectful (yes sir, yes ma'am) and don't argue when they're asked to do something.

I also LOVE the end of the show when they all sit down for dinner - 3 generations at one table - and Papaw (Phil) says Grace.
RE: Morrissey (He was the front man for the group "The Smith's")

Q-How many Smith's does it take to change a light bulb?
A- Don't bother, we'll just sit here in the dark and mope.
The show is getting lots of good press right now. That means it's all downhill from here. The media will get tired of them soon enough we will hear about how mean and nasty and racist and/or whatever the press can concoct they are imagined to be.
A lot of people are unaware but the Robertsons have multiple shows. The Outdoor Life Channel runs episodes of duck commander and deer commander. Hunting shows that take place on the Robertsons 'back 40'.
My wife works, and I'm retired, so I do all the cooking. I'm not that good a cook. We generally end up praying AFTER we have our dinner meal.
Story is Phil Robertson was walking through an airport when somebody yelled out "Hey! Are you Phil Robertson?"
Phil yelled back, "I'm what's left of him!"
That's what I like about Phil Robertson.
I'm from Northern flyover country but I've spent lots of time working in Louisiana and I absolutely love the people there. They actually have something called "manners" there and they aren't afraid to use them. I also love the accents. If it weren't so danged hot there, I'd move. The DD people are reflective of Lousiana in my experience.

How do those bearded gents get their beautiful wives?!
Ummm, they're rich?
By marrying their childhood sweethearts who saw them before the beards.
I like Miss Kay. I cant imagine calling my mother Miss Anything, but then my mother didn't act like a Miss Anything. And Miss Kay does.
Miss is a title given to older southern ladies - emphasis on the "lady" part. It is a sign of affection and respect.

I think the proudest day of my life was when the youngsters around me started calling me Miss.
1 2 Next View All