Best Moments from the Season Premier of Duck Dynasty

Is it any wonder America is in love with this family?

Paula Bolyard

August 15, 2013 - 10:30 am
YouTube Preview Image

I’m almost embarrassed to admit that I watched Duck Dynasty for the first time on Wednesday. It’s so popular in our area that it’s almost considered unpatriotic if you can’t carry on an intelligent conversation about the Robertson family. In fact, so many people at our church watch the show that I’m beginning to think we belong to a cult. My own son has been seen running around Wayne County wearing a Duck Dynasty t-shirt (causing me the same consternation Captain von Trapp felt in The Sound of Music when his children were seen hanging from trees in Salzburg wearing clothing made from old drapes).

Wednesday night A&E aired the long-awaited season premiere of the hit reality series. The Robertson family, operators of the Duck Commander business in West Monroe, Louisiana, began their fourth season by celebrating the anniversary of Phil and Miss Kay, who were married before a justice of the peace 49 years ago.

Phil told the judge, “We got our blood tests here that proves we don’t have any venereal diseases.”

The judge answered, “You got good, clean blood. You want her?”

“Yeah.”

To which the judge answered, “Give me $15.”

“That’s the best $15 I ever borrowed,” recalled Phil.

That’s no girl’s idea of a dream wedding, so Phil and Miss Kay’s daughters-in-law decided to throw them a surprise ceremony to renew their vows.

It fell on Uncle Si to keep Phil and Miss Kay busy the day of the wedding while the rest of the family prepared for the surprise ceremony. He invited them out for an anniversary ice cream run, but Phil was skeptical. “Let me get this right. My little brother, Silas Robertson, nekked up until he was 6 years old, offered to take us somewhere on our anniversary? And we’re actually going to do this?”

Miss Kay said, “He said ice cream. Won’t that be fun?”

Phil scoffed, “He ran nekked until he was 6 years old.” Phil spoke to the camera, “Supposedly he’s going to put us on an ice cream run. That’s what you do when you run out of things to do. Is that what he said, ice cream? Boy, I am fired up about that. That’s post-retirement. That’s almost the beginning stages of dementia, probably.”

Miss Kay tried to reassure her husband of 49 years: “It’s our anniversary today, so be happy, happy, happy!”

Phil intoned, “Oh, I’m happy, happy happy. Don’t doubt that. You and I ought to swing by the clinic.”

I'm always amused when people who admit never seeing a show trash it.

It's not like other reality shows. They state upfront that their values are "Faith, Family and Facial hair." There is also a healthy dose of self mockery as they constantly poke fun at their "redneck" selves.

I like it - it's not filthy, they advocate self-sufficiency, they have strong intact families and they are Christian. It's kind of a breath of fresh air when even Disney is pushing PC, global warming and the gay-agenda.

God, guns, family, self sufficiency and responsibility.

This is what America was built on.
My mother got me hooked on Duck Dynasty. They are just a good family and fun to watch. I've tried to watch various reality shows but "real" people on these shows are usually so shallow, dumb and trashy. The Robertsons, other the other hand, are kind, funny and just loopy enough to make the show fun to watch.
I have not watched a show like this since "Married with Children" or "Sanford and Son" ended. it is wholesome and hilarious.

The first anomaly is that Willie and Jase are very well off financially but did it the old fashion way: they earned it. Stuffy, elitist liberals must get irritated as these ZZ Top look-a-likes get out of their Rolls Royce in camo and waterproof boots. They make duck calls when it is not opening day hunting, fishing or just about any other reason.
Then the kids are wholesome but brought up like little yuppies. Papa Phil and Ms. Kay draw the kids back to religion and their roots. It is a beautiful thing while Si just keeps cracking jokes and absurdities.
My 74 year-old father recently told me my older sister is constantly hounding him to watch Duck Dynasty. He asked me, "Why would I want to watch that stupid sh*t?"

I agree with him. I hate "reality" shows.
Inevitably, there's always a comment like this, snarking about what other people choose to watch on TV. It's like if no one else will acknowledge their inherent superiority over everyone else, then they must do it for themselves. Make no bones about it, DRayRaven is *better* than anyone who watches Duck Dynesty, and *way* better than anyone who posts about it!
I'm always amused when people who admit never seeing a show trash it.