Pimp My Hybrid?

Green vehicles are slowly infiltrating the "pimp my ride" garages — and it's a good thing.

Becky Graebner

August 8, 2013 - 4:00 pm
insight

A Tricked-out Honda Insight

The Wall Street Journal had an interesting story last week:

Today, more people are choosing gas-saving, practical cars; the hybrid Toyota Motor Corp.’s 7203.TO -1.09% Prius was the best-selling car in California last year. But that doesn’t stop drivers like Mr. Redmond from trying to put a little panache into being prudent, turning eco-friendly cars into lowriders, race cars and mini-monster trucks.

They are a far cry from more traditional souped-up rides. A Smart car is nine feet shorter than some classic Chevy Impalas and has five fewer cylinders. But even mockery from old-school hot-rod drivers hasn’t fazed this new generation.

Many Prius “pimpers” have followed the lead of comedian Tommy Chong. He turned his hybrid into a black lowrider, with its body lowered to the ground, and added red and gray detailing and tinted windows in 2006. Mr. Chong, 75, who came to fame as half of the Cheech & Chong comedy duo, installed hydraulics to lift the car up and down, blacked out the taillights, and added a loud exhaust.

I don’t think it’s a secret that I am wary of “green” cars. It’s not because I don’t believe in their function, but because the barrage of green-energy initiative failures has left a bad taste in my mouth. But, that being said, I admit that, even as a “green vehicle skeptic,” I enjoyed this article. It proved me wrong regarding some aspects of car culture — and I’m okay with that.

In ten years, when I'm out of the Army, I plan to have my shop set up to rebuild muscle cars with high-compression IC engines running natural gas and methane. It's clean, and (right now, anyways) cheaper than gasoline, but under the right conditions, gives the same performance as pump gas. And if it wasn't for government interference making it so expensive to market a CNG fuel system, we'd probably already have cars burning much cleaner fuels.
The pimping phenomenon, appealing to the politically correct ego of the owner, is consistent with the unofficial tag line:

"Nothing says 'pr!ck' like a Prius."
No such thing as a "green" car. They all require dirty tech to create and to maintain.
Hey I'd love a Prius set up with a loud exhaust (can use a recording when it's on battery drive!) and maybe a CO2 fire extinguisher that can blow white (CO2!) smoke out the rear on special occassions. LOL.
With all the "gas" they are finding we'll run out of "D" cells before gasoline. So I'll just carry a tow rope with me every were, and hope to make a few bucks on the side. I'd bee happy to tow glowballcar:-))
"Many Pious “pimpers” have followed the lead of comedian Tommy Chong."

FIFY
I have several friends here in California who have hybrids. They tend to be professionals, at least somewhat upwardly mobile. In one case the person got the car leased for her by her employer, because driving around town will be a significant portion of her job. Two of the cars are Prius's, one is an older model Insight, and the lady who just got the Prius had a hybrid SUV (I think a Highlander) before that. They all like them, like the mileage and so forth, and everyone more or less accepts that it's not going to be the powerhouse car that people had back 30-50 years ago.

Another friend just bought a new Camaro. He hasn't stopped bitching about the fuel consumption since he got it.
Last time I checked, most people don't buy a Camaro because they want fuel economy.
He didn't say economy, he said consumption - not high enough, I presume.