Smearing the South: First Honey Boo-Boo, Now ‘The Angry Ginger’?

Reality TV once again chooses to further Hollywood stereotypes of backwards hicks.

Chris Queen

August 6, 2013 - 7:00 am

Honey Boo Boo/Angry Ginger

I thought having Honey Boo-Boo represent my home state of Georgia was bad enough. Now there’s another show planning to portray Southerners as absolute hicks:

Honey Boo Boo is getting some competition.

Another family from rural Georgia is coming to reality television, with “Hollywood Hillbillies” set to debut in January on ReelzChannel.

The show follows Michael Kittrell and his grandmother Delores Hughes, known as “Mema,” as the family moves from Grayson, Ga., to Hollywood. Along for the ride are Kittrell’s aunt, Dee Dee Peters, her boyfriend Paul Conlon, and Kittrell’s uncle John Cox.

Kittrell is known as “The Angry Ginger” on YouTube, where a video he made to protest a “South Park” episode that claimed redheads have no soul gained attention.

“I made a lot of money on my YouTube channel, and I saved it all from the past four years,” Kittrell said. “I got my family with me to support me and help me while we all look for our place out here.”

Alana “Honey Boo Boo” Thompson, her mother and their rural Georgia family are the subjects of a hit TLC show that focuses on their lives in a small town.

For the record, Grayson is not “rural Georgia.” In fact, it sits right in one of the largest suburban counties near Atlanta. But I digress.

Meet “The Angry Ginger.” Warning: some of the language is NSFW.

YouTube Preview Image

Writer Armando Tinoco muses:

The inevitable similarities between both shows following a Southern family are going to be there, but will the public respond well to the new show?

“Honey Boo Boo” already has captivated the public on television and her show is broadcasted on the TLC channel that has an established audience. On the contrary, the show starring “Angry Ginger” will be aired on Reelz, which doesn’t have the same reach. It will be interesting to see if his subscribers from his YouTube channel migrated to watch his antics on television now.

And yet they still come out looking like better people than your typical ghetto trash.
Andy Warhol said that in the future, everyone would be famous for 15 minutes. He didn't say they would be smart.
I escaped Detroit back in 1982, moved to Texas. I can tell you that people in Texas are far nicer, have better ethics, are far more self reliant (well, aside from the welfare dregs in the blue zones), are far less antagonistic and confrontational.

Sure, you can find a hick down here that illustrates the stereotype. If you did that in Detroit, you'd be called a raaaaaaacist.
Ethan. I just agree... Mildred`s blog is impossible, on friday I bought a great new Fiat Multipla from having made $4159 this munth and-over, ten-grand this past month. it's realy the most-comfortable job I've had. I started this 10-months ago and almost immediately began to bring home at least $79 p/h. I follow this great link >>>>http://www.wep6.com
Go to website and click Home tab for more details.
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Folk from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan are called Yupers (UPers). A Yuper is a redneck in long johns.

And of course, there are the 'people who cannot be named' from the 'hoods of all major and most minor cities.

ta
Honey Boo-Boo is the future.

Welcome to "Marching Morons," brought to you by the 60's generation...
We Midwesterners come in for our share of arrogance also. It's the dance of the low-sloping foreheads all the way from the Hudson to the Sierras, apparently.
The Left needs its dependent classes - whether racial or economic - in order to sustain its industry of centrally planned solutions. Imagine - if racism is ever seen as irrelevant, then so is an entire industry based on supposed never-ending societal and workplace discrimination. It seems to me the same with hick reality TV -- putting seemingly stupid stereotypes out there helps reinforce the idea that there is a class of people that need to be looked after by the more intellectually enlightened (i.e., the compassionate Left) - and protected from themselves. The soft bigotry of low expectations is never ending on the Left.
Smarmy liberals think they are so much more educated and sophisticated than those in the South, but I'll take a Southerner over any of them any day of the week.

Probably one reason they are trying to make all these shows is because of shows like Swamp People, Mountain men and Duck Dynasty. These shows are hugely successful and one reason is that these people know how to take care of themselves. Urbanites and suburbanites are helpless.
I was just discussing this very topic with a friend yesterday evening.

This is ultimately just proggy leftists' way of sniggering behind their hands as they boldly show their utter contempt for flyover America. If they truly understood the utter loathing I have grown to have for them to the very depths of my being, a sentiment I'm sure is shared not just across the south but across these Disunited States, they would be cowering in a corner wetting themselves.
...but "Rocket City Rednecks" wasn't renewed.
1 2 Next View All