Why Reza Aslan’s Christian Relatives and Friends Aren’t Trying to Kill Him

Which religion enforces a death penalty for apostasy?

Robert Spencer

August 5, 2013 - 9:00 am

Recently I had a conversation on a train that raised an issue about the leftist media’s darling of the moment, Reza Aslan, along with larger questions about Islam and Christianity. Oddly enough, for all of the Left’s continuing outrage over Fox News’s “Islamophobic” interview of Aslan regarding his new book Zealot, the anointed pundits have never touched on this question: why aren’t Reza Aslan’s Christian relatives and friends trying to kill him?

It might seem to be a bizarre question, but it isn’t. It is a staple of mainstream media discourse that Islam and Christianity (and all other religions, for that matter) are essentially equal in their capacity to inspire both benevolence and violence. If Muslims commit jihad terror attacks today, well, remember the Crusades. If Muslims commit 91% of honor killings worldwide and several Muslim countries have relaxed penalties for such murders at the insistence of Islamic clerics, well, the Republican Party is just like the Taliban, anyway. And if Islam has a death penalty for apostasy, Christians must abuse those who leave Christianity as well.

I encountered this line of thought yet again on the train. Seated next to me was not (luckily) Reza Aslan himself, but a jovial and somewhat inebriated gentleman who told me in the course of our conversation that he was an Iraq war veteran. Then he told me about how once he was on patrol in Baghdad with an Iraqi soldier who asked him his religion. By this time the man had been in Iraq long enough to know what the Iraqis hated the most, and so he responded mischievously to the question: although he was a Catholic, he told the Iraqi he was Jewish, and when the Iraqi didn’t understand the English word, he drew a Star of David in the sand — whereupon the Iraqi drew his rifle on him.

I then explained that Islamic anti-Semitism is deeply rooted in the Qur’an, which calls the Jews the worst enemies of the Muslims (cf. 5:82). I told him about the genocidal hadith, in which Muhammad, the prophet of Islam, is depicted as saying that,

the last hour would not come unless the Muslims will fight against the Jews and the Muslims would kill them until the Jews would hide themselves behind a stone or a tree and a stone or a tree would say: Muslim, or the servant of Allah, there is a Jew behind me; come and kill him (Sahih Muslim 6985).

To all that, however, he responded that, well, the Bible had plenty of bad stuff in it, too. That put me in mind of Aslan’s notorious Fox interview, in which he avowed that “my mother is a Christian, my wife is a Christian, my brother-in-law is an evangelical pastor.” Aslan recounts that he himself was an enthusiastic evangelical Christian until his studies gave him the impression that the New Testament was not historically reliable, whereupon, he says: “I angrily discarded my faith as if it were a costly forgery I had been duped into buying.”

When my children were younger we had annual passes to Busch Gardens and went there nearly every weekend. It used to infuriate me to see the Muslim women covered head to toe in the Tampa heat while their husbands walked around in tanks and shorts. Nobody will ever convince me that a woman would subject herself to that by choice.
Such a sad, sorry man.
The argument that progressive culture views all religions the same is poppycock. It's like the nasty mother who says she loves all her children equally, but then ignores the unwanted child's birthday to attend the favored child's recital. The actions have never fit the words.
Progressive culture bends over for Islam pecisely because they are not Judeo-Christian. It's the old "an enemy of my enemy is my friend". The evangelical Christian is the most hated group of all in the progressive world view. Just talk to them about various subjects, terrorists, criminals, dictators, serial killers. It's not until you speak of the Bible clingers that the pure venom comes out.
And ironically if you ask them why they hate Evangelicals so badly, they will spit out a grievance list that far better describes Islam than Christianity. The Bible itself predicted that Christians will be hated purely for who they are. The Jews, of course have been down that road many times. It does go beyond reason for people that claim to be so open and reasonable.
my neighbor's mom makes $77 every hour on the computer. She has been without work for eight months but last month her paycheck was $13099 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more here..>> http://www.cnn32.com
Why should any Christians be upset at all with Reza? He claims to be a Muslim, so who cares what he says about Jesus? I find it interesting that he affirms the crucifixion, which is explicitly denied in the Quran (Surah 4:157). In fact, his whole argument is based on the historical fact of the crucifixion. That makes him an apostate Muslim - their doctrine is far more threatened by his book than Christianity is.

Here's a comparison between Christianity and Islam: http://goo.gl/jiuvM

If you'd like to hear about a devout Muslim who examined the claims of Jesus and found them to be true, do some research on Dr. Nabeel Qureshi. You can find a seminar which he taught called "The Gospel Truth about Jesus" here: http://goo.gl/CtFVB9

And if anyone thinks that Islam is a religion of peace, look no further than www.thereligionofpeace.com
my co-worker's mother-in-law makes $72 every hour on the computer. She has been without work for 7 months but last month her check was $20195 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on this site http://www.wep6.com
Aslan's interview with Lauren Green confirmed my impression when I saw him speak at UCLA with Faisal Abdul Rauf in 2011. This is a very arrogant young man. Count how many times he calls himself a scholar, expert, and quite a prominent Muslim thinker in that Green interview.
There's always someone to point out the fact that people of other religions have been violent too, when the issue is the threat of Islamic violence.

This is essentially the same, and just as helpful, as pointing out that other breeds of dog can also bite, when the issue is the Rottweiler chewing on your leg.
If he had written this book about HIS prophet Mohammed - he would be in hiding, not giving TV interviews.
He and several members of his family would no longer be alive if he had written this book about HIS prophet Mohammed.
Let's put the facts on the table and let it all hang out. For if westerners do not do so, there will be more to lose than being calling an 'Islamophobe, a made up out of whole cloth bugaboo to silence ALL criticism of Islam, a vile, barbaric 'religion'.

In reality, Islam is a political/religious doctrine which mandates jihad - frontal and stealth, depending on their power at hand - to either subjugate/kill non-believers. This is not up for debate.

And, to understand its underbelly, peer, if you dare, within - http://adinakutnicki.com/2012/07/13/islam-blood-a-groundbreaking-policy-paper-contained-herein-the-world-stands-on-a-precipice-commentary-by-adina-kutnicki-109/

Yes, while there has been much blood spilled on behalf of Christianity - with Jews in their cross hairs - the difference is that the basis of the religion does NOT mandate the killing of non-believers, unlike Islam, the 'religion' of 'peace'. And, herein lies the crux.

Adina Kutnicki, Israel http://adinakutnicki.com/about/
The list of Islams injustices is long in deed and that is only the list of categories. Right now my main problem is how Muslims treat women. I have a wife and two daughters. Lately I see Muslim families around town and the husband usually wears American clothes, shorts and a teeshirt. The wife has her head covered, long pants, and a long sleeve shirt in the heat of summer 100+. I get really angry when I see it because I'm sweating in my shorts and a tshirt and I can't imagine how these women feel.
I remember thinking that, when visiting Egypt, nearly thirty years ago. Egypt, in the early Mubarak years, was a lot more secular than it is today, but it was commonplace to see both girls and women smothered in voluminous clothes. The unmarried girls did, at least, get to wear pale, i.e. sun-reflecting, colours. Older women sweltered in black. Black isn't the traditional colour of muslim mourning, so the fact that a muslim woman is draped in black doesn't in any way prove that she's a widow, only that she's married.

As you say, these "fashions" are becoming ever more familiar in the West.
Christians generally pity such people instead of kill them. There have been a few times in history where Christians killed apostates, but it never worked out well. All major Christian groups, organizations and denominations repudiate killing heretics and apostates now. We think our faith is factual and strong enough to stand criticism and questions and disbelief.

Maybe he said—I didn't watch the whole interview—what schools he got his degrees in and what type or denomination of Christianity he was from. There is a big difference. Lots of knowledge, high grades and awards don't necessarily mean a person understands how it all goes together. Christians are known by what they do, not just what they know or say. "Even so faith, if it hath not works is dead." -James the Apostle 2:17 (In other words, believing, if it doesn't influence how you act, is meaningless. ) "If you are a theologian, you will pray truly. If you pray, you are a theologian." -Evagrius, "On Prayer", 61.
In peaceful time room for debate and meeting with interesting dialogue with atheist and agnostics
But in war one must be loyal and rebellion and treason must be nip in the bud as God do in a moment's time as we see in Numbers 16
"20 And the Lord spoke to Moses and to Aaron, saying, 21 “Separate yourselves from among this congregation, that I may consume them in a moment.”
1 2 Next View All