Pixar’s Alternate Universe?

One writer has devised an elaborate theory to explain how all of Pixar's films are interrelated.

Chris Queen

July 26, 2013 - 3:00 pm

Pixar Characters

Everybody’s a geek about something culturally. For some it’s science fiction, while others may geek out over sports. For me, it’s Disney culture (don’t act so shocked), college sports, and Star Wars. But everybody has something that they’re a geek about.

Some geeks — and I’m using the term in a cultural light, rather than referring to nerds or dorks — go too far in their obsession. Some dress in elaborate costume for events like Comic Con or DragonCon, or even renaissance fairs. (Yes, I realize I’m stepping on some toes here.) Others show it off on their skin. Still others devote months of their time to devising theories on how a certain studio’s movies are interconnected. Meet Jon Negroni.

By day, Negroni manages social media and SEO for a non-profit organization, and he writes a blog for young professionals. And — bless his heart — he’s apparently a Pixar fan. Negroni has developed an elaborate theory explaining how all the features in the Pixar canon are related.

Several months ago, I watched a fun-filled video on Cracked.com that introduced the idea (at least to me) that all of the Pixar movies actually exist within the same universe. Since then, I’ve obsessed over this concept, working to complete what I call “The Pixar Theory,” a working narrative that ties all of the Pixar movies into one cohesive timeline with a main theme.

Negroni’s timeline runs as follows:

. without a doubt it is the most financialy rewarding Ive ever had. I began this five months/ago and almost straight away started bringing in more than $75, per-hour. I use the details on this websit......http://www.wep6.com
my roomate's mother-in-law makes $70 an hour on the laptop. She has been laid off for 8 months but last month her ine was $18584 just workinggo to this site home tab for more detail--->>> WWW.JOBS31.COM
Y'know, as goofy as this is, I kinda dig the effort that went into it. Trekkies have been retconning ("retroactive continuity," making up plausible connections where none were intended) for decades...it's not that big a step to try to make up an overarching continuity for all of Pixar.

I wouldn't go so far as to put it up online and subject it to ridicule, but as a thought experiment, I can see where his flights of fancy went. The doors in Monsters, Inc. working across time as well as space, the Incredibles existing in an alternate timeline, even post-apocalyptic A.I. Cars, make some sort of sense in a fantasy world. I'll even go with the Boo/Negroni connection, 'cuz why not? It's a fun conceit.

It stretches too thin, though, to try to link it all into one cohesive historical arc.
You know what? It's pretty simple. Pixar movies are entertainment. This crazy theory is about entertainment, and it was interesting enough to inspire the PJ Media article, which is also - you got it - entertainment. As long as it amused me for a few minutes, it was all worthwhile :).

I don't know if any of it deserves to be taken so seriously, though, and I would not be surprised to see John Lassater and friends laughing their heads off at it.

David
well... This has now become a self fulfilling prophecy. Pixar folk have no doubt read this and will now tailor any future cross references to be consistent with this theory. It wasn't true before, but will be, soon enough.
I agree.
Not only did I waste time reading that tedious inanity, I'm wasting time and bandwidth commenting on it.
I must be losing it.
Sorry. Above reply directed to werewife.
Everyone associates Steve Jobs with Apple but Pixar was also one of his great successes, a wonderful animation project, which he turned into a $7 billion business. I don't buy the Negroni Pixar theory (cf. Einstein's incomplete unified field theory) but it may be someday be refined and perfected by more advanced geeks.
Compared to Heinlein's contortions in "The Number of the Beast" in which he had all of his primary characters meet, Asimov's contortions in the later "Foundation" books where he brought in robot characters and tied all of his works together, or King's twisting virtually everything into his "Dark Tower" series either by direct reference, indirect reference, or multi-world kludge of the 6th (IIRC) book, this holds together rather admirably for a work in progress.
Mind you, it cannot compare to Burroughs and the Gridley Wave, neatly linking the Barsoom, Pellucidar, and Tarzan series together, but then he was just writing adventure stories, and kept the social commentary to simple, pro-American, propaganda.
"Sheesh, some people have way too much time on their hands…"

Killjoy.
O bloody hell. I didn't think there was a way to make my favorite genius movie studio into a font of pseudointellectual PC tedium, but nothing is impossible for the truly dedicated psychogeek...