Is a Spiritual Revolution the Missing Link in Our Quest for a Political Revolution?

What great things will God do with our generation if we admit our inability to fix this on our own?

Paula Bolyard

June 10, 2013 - 7:50 am
YouTube Preview Image

“I think there’s another revolution coming. I’m not sure what it’s going to look like but I think it’s going to be very interesting and it’s going to unfold over the next ten years. And I think it needs to be a spiritual revolution because I think that our systems are broken. I don’t think our political system will ever work. No matter how great a man, if you cloned JFK and Abraham Lincoln and made them president it wouldn’t matter. Our system is just too corrupt and too broken.”  Rainn Wilson

Wilson goes on to say that he expects to see wild pendulum swings between Left and Right in the coming years. The only answer he sees is a spiritual revolution among the young — “like they did in the ’60s.”

Because the ’60s brand of teen revolution that jettisoned God and authority and traditional values worked out so well the first time around? By all means, let’s try that again! Oy.

Wilson concludes: “It’s gonna have to go to that or we’re all going to destroy each other.”

Are those our only two options?

Wilson is right that our systems are broken — or at least many of them are. Every day it seems we discover a new reason to be concerned about the government infringing on our liberties or we see a sign that our society is in a state of moral decay. Who ever imagined an America where a government agency would demand to know the contents of a group’s prayers? President Obama recently told grads at The Ohio State University to beware of the voices doing their best to “gum up the works.” The sad reality is that “the works” have been gummed up for decades and, despite the best efforts of a generation of good Americans, the gears refuse to budge. Many are frustrated with both parties and are beginning to understand, perhaps for the first time, that our nation’s problems are too immense to be solved with political — or even human — solutions alone.

We certainly need one, but it all depends on how it happens and what kind of spiritual revival we're talking about. A genuine revival of His Holy Spirit? Yes, please, but the one from the deceiver who will be able to deceive even the elect? No.

Generally speaking, I don't think conditions in this country have gotten near bad enough for most of its morally bankrupt people to realize how badly damaged and lost they are, yet. I am sorry for all the rest of us who know what's coming, but I think things are going to get much, much worse before people will start turning to God.
Many think revival is a controversial concept. Turning business people of the days faces from the world to HIS face, one at a time, gave freedom beyond all imagination. Humility, surrender, and obedience work in Divine ways.
Humbling ourselves before the Lord is always a good idea, regardless of whether He responds by bringing revival or by using the humbling to strengthen us for trials. I will try to remember to pray.
"If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Nice to hear this passage being applied CORRECTLY for a change. I have been listening carefully to Christian media for a few decades now, and I can't recall a single time I have heard it used properly. It's always applied to America, along with a call for America to repent and turn to God.

American doesn't need to repent.

The CHURCH needs to repent. Judgement begins at the house of God.
"The Spirit of Pentecost continues to inspire old and young and gives the church the prophetic power to speak new worlds into being.

This is the world we dream of.

Reformation first. God hid three gifts in the ark within the Most Holy Place – the tablets of the law, a jar of manna, and the budding rod of Aaron; God’s word, His food, and the staff of His shepherd. Jesus is our ark, our Most Holy Place. He is the Word tabernacled in flesh, true bread from heaven, our good Shepherd and great high Priest. By His advent, death, resurrection, and ascension, Jesus is the manifold gift that constitutes the church through the Spirit as the renewed people of God.
Excerpt from Peter Leithart's Blog from First Things
(Satan the Devil HATES Pentecost Holy spirit action upon human flesh as we can see what Satan the Devil did in the book of Acts in God's word the Bible . Christian must prepare for suffering by removing idols in ones life. This is not easy to do in our materialist culture)
This is how I believe every idol is removed. Every thing one has is dedicated to God and it is only as good and useful as a tool for the mission God gives you. Although the times and places for removing every tool so the great revelation can sink in that you are the temple of God
footnote
this is how my faith is built each day: In my 5th heaven on the great Jesus mount overlooking the great city I visit yesterday, there was a fire burned around the Jesus Mount when the land was dried up but not one wood or leaf or ground was set on fire for the 7 angels in the anointed sanctuaries where my mission for God sent out on the 5th heaven dragon highway which seems like a war almost everyday to keep me in prayer while I drive.
The poor homeless who take away their sorry by getting drunk set the fire so now my mission on this Jesus Mount overlooking is to clean the granite from all their drunken times the broken glass, beer bottles and beer cans, whiskey bottles with my mind and heart on sweeping away Christian sins that prevent the holy spirit to make a home in their temples and how the Devil sneaks in to steal their faith hope and love by way of sin in the temple
2nd footnote
And I thankful how almost a foot of rain has fallen to wipe out the threat of fire
I will pray.
You know, the progressive movement has done it's best to not only destroy the American spirit, but the human spirit also. But as they say, there are no athiest in fox holes. Once the American people become so uncomfortable, so scared, a new spritual awaking can accure. Until then, many will continue to believe government (corrupt politicians) is the answer.
We do need a spiritual revival - a movement of God similar to the Reformation. What happened in the 60's was not spiritual, unless the devil was the leader. It was decadence. I do believe we are heading to a new revolution or another civil war. The Scriptures tell us what is coming and it will not be pleasant for the earth and for those who know not Christ.
I agree with you about the 60's. I probably didn't make that as clear as I meant to with my poor attempt at sarcasm.

Will there be another Great Awakening in the U.S.? God is certainly able to do that! Our job is to pray and to obey the Great Commission. The rest is in His hands. We will be no worse off for the effort and we will be better prepared for trials that come.
Thank you for writing such a great piece, as well as inspiring us with these noble examples of serious and deliberate calls to seek God. Who knows? Perhaps, God will bring about his renewal in this land. I, for one, will earnestly and unceasingly ask him for it.
I've done a lot of study of the Revival in the Confederate armies, especially the Army of Northern Virginia, in 1864. My gg/grandfather's CO, long a "rounder," became a much respected Methodist minister after The War as a result. No doubt the Confederates believed that sinfulness had caused the visitation of suffering on The South and that supplication to God would relieve that suffering and advance their cause. Didn't work!

Had I been Jefferson Davis, I would have hated those preachers - and he probably did. Moral reflection sent a LOT of Confederate soldiers home in that fateful winter of '64 - '65; they decided that fealty to church, home, and children was more important than loyalty to Jefferson Davis and even the sainted General Lee. It is lost to today's world how religious the Civil War armies were; only an absolute belief that your fate was in God's hands would allow a man to march shoulder to shoulder against wheel to wheel cannons.

The very judgemental and "prudish" religious Yankees considered the Southerners to be to a man and woman decadent, degenerate sinners. And The South did have a very easy view of virtue in the antebellum times. It boils down to whether you believe in the fallibility of man due to original sin or the perfectibility of man in which the Yankees belived; the salvation by works or salvation by faith argument that persists in a secular form even today. The Yankees have exchanged the Christian God for a diety of Marx, Lenin, and Foucault, but they still believe that anyone who doesn't believe as they is a sinner who should be writhing in the hands of an angry God.

It should be remembered that on the belt buckles of Hitler's Wehrmacht infantry was inscribed "Gott Mit Und," God is with us. The things going on in American today concern Caesar much more than God; render wisely.
Man can choose to be governed by 10 simple fair and comprehensible laws given by God....or.... a thousand obtuse confusing laws written by man, most of which are there to favor a chosen political sector. As is oft quoted: "The more corrupt the government, the more numerous the laws!"
A revolution would be easier if the language were cleaned up first.
-"The 2%" should always be countered with "Eat the rich, the sacred Socialist goal."
-Who caused the Crash & Depression of 1929? Of 1937? Break the myths.
-Bring back Tammany Hall and its doings as a measuring stick, as a festival of rent-seeking and crony capitalism.
-Increasing the RATE OF TAXABLE EVENTS is the problem, not the particular tax rate.
-"Rent-seeking" and "Moral Hazard" need to be used everywhere they are present, even though most everyone skips mention. Everyone needs to know their names.
-Military expenditure is not a capital investment unless one is going to expand like Hitler. Military expenditure is an insurance policy. If not enough, the gap is filled by your blood and bodies. If too large, it is impossible to tell.
-The assets of the rich are not a bag of gold or banknotes. They are like a soaker hose creating taxable events hither and yon. The assets of the rich should always be enticed into doing taxable events.
-There are no more than 2 reasons for having a country: Defense against foreign enemies, defense against domestic enemies. All other reasons are gravy.
-Economic activity is not a tableau like a giant oil painting where one can make changes. Economic activity is a movie.
--Most important, stress the difference between Inductive reasoning and Deductive reasoning. The industrial revolution and science rest on the simple process of Inductive reasoning challenging and replacing the Deductive reasoning elements of daily life. If Deductive reasoning elements were visible, Leftism would appear gravely inflicted by the Pox.
"Will a spiritual revolution lead to a political revolution?"

Only enforcing existing law, upholding the strict and intelligent limits on federal power in the United States Constitution and holding cheaters' feet to the fire will influence a "political revolution".

I'm not holding my breath on any count.
1 2 Next View All