Susan L.M. Goldberg

March 13, 2013 - 2:00 pm

I used to hate politics. Then I met Ann Coulter.

In case you haven’t seen PCU, allow me to explain: I am only one of many in my generation who grew into adulthood harboring a strong desire to avoid all forms of political discussion. For many of us growing up in the ’80s and ’90s, the deafening liberal attacks coming across cable news, talk radio, and then the internet defined politics as a source of talking-head tsuris and therefore best avoided at all costs.

The unavoidable reality hit when I enrolled in grad school and promptly learned the phrase: “Everything is political.” And that was before I got the chance to interview the prospective film studies professor who declared himself a communist without blinking an eye.

Critical theory, my chosen area of study, comes in many forms. The most memorable (and popular) being a series of schools based on race/ethnicity/gender/sexual demarcations that could easily be classified under the heading “White Men Are Coming To Get You Studies.” All theories are taught under the general pseudo-philosophical guideline of postmodernism. I could spend entire articles trying to explain that one.  Instead, I’ll just let this handy little comic do it for me.

Nothing I learned made sense yet all of it was accepted as holy. Any time I would question these ideas I would receive furrowed brows, gobsmacked expressions, or simply be told in so many words that I just “didn’t get it.” These reactions probably wouldn’t have bothered me so much except for the fact that they were coming from the professor who would sign off on my thesis, providing me with the paperwork I needed to graduate and get the hell out of Dodge.

Hell. I was in hell. Instead of being taught how to think, I was paying to be told what to think. Waiting in the airport for my flight back to campus after winter break, I contemplated throwing in the towel. And then, I heard an angel’s voice and a bright light beckoned me to the bookstore in the terminal…

Okay, not totally. But I do know for a fact that finding Ann Coulter’s Slander: Liberal Lies About the American Right on my way to the plane was a divine appointment. Three hours later I landed on solid ground and felt my feet beneath me for the first time in 18 months. Finally, someone was making sense.

Perhaps if conservatives had had total control over every major means of news dissemination for a quarter century, they would have forgotten how to debate, too, and would just call liberals stupid and mean.

Ann waited until page 2 to verbalize the crux of the problem I’d been facing: This liberal professor had total control and, therefore, could demean and dismiss me whenever he liked.

Or so he thought and so did I, until I met Ann Coulter.

While I gravitate toward the Dr. Ben Carson style as the one I prefer, let me give AC her props.

In a Republican wasteland where the "big names" play nothing but prevent defense...she is one of the very rare offensive weapons.

She is willing to scrap and doesn't back down to bullying, slander, lies and treason. She wears the uniform and is willing to get some grass stains on it. I love her for it.

Again, a little of the "harsh" goes a long way...and I prefer the Ben Carson style as a steady diet...but Ann fills a craving to hit back twice as hard once in a while. For the punching bag GOP, that's not just a relief...it's a necessity.
Yes, though part of that evil vibe is caused by her insistence to provide facts and figures, and all the mathematical basis those entail, and far to many liberals are unable to respond with anything other than emotions. Yes, it can be mean to remind people that math happens.
Hey Susan,
If you are reading these comments, I have something I would like to send you, but it's an image from Facebook - from the page of the aforementioned Film Studies Professor. One of his students found your article and posted it on his page and he made some comments about it. I'd like to send it to you, but not sure where to send it (it's a photo, so I have to attach it) I think you will want to see it!
well bless your heart susan!

(southern euphemism for those who are so breathtakingly cluelss they don't realize how ridiculous they appear)

and looking down the comments here wanna give a shout out to most contributors, bless your hearts!
Coulter fans are smart so there's no need to explain your cheesy insult.

AC's "Godless" did it for me.

"Truth is the ultimate weapon and there is no defeating it."

I was just reading the same thought in Aristotle's Rhetoric.

As to Ms. Coulter, America needs more like her.
Ann Coulter got me through high school and college. Strongly worded conservative thought, with a research chaser.
Ahem....

"Romney is the most electable candidate not only because it will be nearly impossible for the media to demonize this self-made Mormon square, devoted to his wife and church, but precisely because he is the most conservative candidate."

Not yet ready to forgive - and I never forget.
In fairness to Ann, the field really was not that great. My guy was Perry but he really should have waited until he was off meds. I ended up voting for Newt but in objective hindsight he would have lost worse. Santorum? Bachman? Cain? LOL.

I agree. Romney was the best choice. Priebus is right, we need a shorter, earlier primary season. If we had had that, he could've won.
I really liked Perry as well from a policy standpoint. It just sucked that he doesn't come off too well on camera.

I also liked Newt, but it seems Coulter can never get past the fact the guy has had more than one wife so despite his past history of success in Congress he appears to not measure up to her purity standards. I honestly think Newt would have had the political temperament and experience to actually go after Obama instead of playing by country club rules as Romney did.

Had the candidate been willing to fight - and espouse an agenda of personal freedom from government interference while being able to ignore the consultants - Obama was quite defeatable.
Which candidate was more electable than Romney? Romney would have won if the campaign had been run more competently.
"Which candidate was more electable"?

Any of the other candidates that did NOT have Romneycare hanging around their neck like an albatross. This took the issue of Obamacare completely off of the table during the debates even though it was - and still is -overwhelmingly unpopular in this country.

Get past all of that, and THEN you can start debating about how well the actual mechanics of the campaign were carried out....which were pretty abysmal all by themselves.

Sadly, that very lackluster campaigning was symptomatic of the incredibly flawed candidate the GOP leadership insisted we all get behind during an election that should have been a walk away victory for ANYONE running against Obama!

A candidate that Coulter assured us was the only "electable" one.
"Any of the other candidates that did NOT have Romneycare hanging around their neck like an albatross."
So you believe that Rick Santorum was more likely to win the general election than Mitt Romney. Got it.

"Also, having a candidate who had had not raised taxes and or signed gun control policies would have helped tremendously."
How would those policies have made Romney more electable?
Goo look at the 1994 election.
I went to a fine arts college. It turned out the stunning iconoclasts there were the greatest group of redneck conformist jar heads I'd ever met. My last day of college, after four years, I went there high on mushrooms, walked around the building and talked to people I ran into and said my good-byes. Most of them didn't like that or thought I was nuts. I did and wasn't.
I love Ann, and the Grateful Dead. She fights! Great article.
Dittos from another Ann fan