Ed Driscoll

Distaff Punkers for Freedom!

February 13th, 2014 - 8:42 pm

“Exene Cervenka of L.A. Punk Band X Moving to Texas Because California Has Become ‘A Liberal Oppressive Police State and Regulations and Taxes and Fees.’” Brian Doherty writes at Reason, quoting this passage from Rolling Stone:

…when I moved to California in 1976, Jerry Brown was governor. It was barefoot hippie girls, Hell’s Angels on the Sunset Strip, East L.A. lowriders, the ocean and nature. It was this fabulous incredible place about freedom. Now when I think about California, I think of a liberal oppressive police state and regulations and taxes and fees. I’d rather go someplace and have my own little place out on the edge of town. I’m a country girl at heart. It makes me happy when I see people in Texas open-carrying. It makes me feel safe. I’m not even a gun owner, but I’d like to see a gun rack in every pickup truck, like my boyfriend had when I was fifteen years old in Florida. An armed society is a polite society.”

She cracks a smile. “Now Jerry Brown’s governor again. He’s done some great things, like balancing the budget and libraries are open on Sundays. But things are getting to the point in this country where people are going to have to fight to survive and fight for their rights.”

And that’s on top of Maureen Tucker, Tea Partier, as Michael Moynihan wrote at Reason in the fall of 2010:

[F]ormer Velvet Underground drummer Moe Tucker was spotted at a Georgia Tea Party protest, telling a local reporter that she is “furious about the way we are being led towards socialism.” Prefix magazine calls this “depressing” news that will “bring you down” before the weekend, because it’s incumbent upon all musicians—especially those in seminal proto-punk bands like VU—to have roughly the same, boring lefty politics. Deviate from the acceptable ideology (Guevara t-shirts are fine, as is anything related to 9/11 “truth”) and a bunch of kids born in the 1980s will have their weekends ruined.

And they sure did — as some unfortunate soul admitted in October of 2010 at the Independent Film Channel’s Website after Tucker  epatered his bourgeois brain:

I’m still in shock from reading this news on Stereogum about primitivist drummer and doll-voiced Velvet, Moe Tucker being a Tea Party fanatic. Say it ain’t so Moe.

It’s like finding out that Henry Rollins has just been wearing a fake muscle suit all these years and he’s really a skinny, mild-mannered pushover. Moe’s strayed a long way off from being in a band at the center of 1960′s and 70′s American counter culture. She’s best known for her unrelenting, tribal drumming style of the time — opting to take her bass drum, turn it upright and pound away on it with mallets like a maniac.

Totalitarianism=cool? That’s not what I remember the Velvets being about, particularly since, to paraphrase Brian Eno, only 30,000 people bought the Velvet Underground’s first album — but everyone who did started his own band. (A little late to the party, but I was one of them, believe it or not.)

"people who can’t get their facts straight"

Heh. Yeah, who didn't have their facts straight on Obamacare? Really.

Hopefully, after she gets to TX, she won't suffer a brain fart and vote for liberals in the next elections she participates in, like a lot of ex-Californians tend to do.
I commented several days ago on how Cervenka's ex-husband Viggo Mortensen must be disappointed in her--considering his far Left politics. My comments are gone. Why would that be?!
DIY ethos of punk is at odds with Socialist Dependence.
The dirty little secret all these leftist hipsters try to ignore is that true punks have always been more anarchist/libertarian than nanny-state left. Even as a clean-cut, no drugs, Republican Navy man I never got a cold shoulder from the punk crowd as long as I was just as willing to let them live their life how they see fit. I laugh every time I read some news report about "anarchists" protesting for more government welfare programs.
They idea of law and order is red light cameras to feed the state so they can hire more union goons to kick in more to elect democrats. My idea is gun in every purse.
Oh the bitter irony... "Now she’s out at rally’s with poorly dressed people who can’t get their facts straight, yelling about socialism. This is one of the farthest falls from cool in music history." ...Isn't that OWS he's describing? They live without mirrors.
Michael Moynihan, editor at Reason, does not vote. He's bragged about this in the past. Such people have no standing to talk about politics.

Though I suppose he's marginally better than his colleagues at Reason who voted for Obama.
It’s funny how often “libertarianism” slips into fascism.
Jello Biafra wrote "California Über Alles" in 1979 satirizing Brown and liberals way back-when. She's a latecomer from out-of-state.
"…when I moved to California in 1976, Jerry Brown was governor."--Exene Cervenka

Ahh yes, ol' Jerry "Era of Limits" Brown. I remember his youthful puritanism well. So many hippies, so many dupes. To them all I say, "I told you so." Jerry 1.0 was a tax and spend scold just like Jerry 2.0 is today. Sigh.
Punkers are fairly conservative -- or anti-socialist at least. The late Void drummer Sean Finnegan was a Freeper.
One exception being Henry Rollins, who is weepy Left. This disappoints me, as I *like* Rollins.
1 2 Next View All