Ed Driscoll

We know what the New York Times thinks of flyover country — it’s the “dance of the low-sloping foreheads,” — and just try getting decent vegetarian food there (other than, as Kathy Shaidle observed, these strange places known as supermarkets, which the Times has apparently never heard of.)

But what of the Washington Post? In 1993 the paper dubbed followers of the Christian Right as “largely poor, uneducated, and easy to command.” Today, the Post’s Richard Cohen doubles down:

Today’s GOP is not racist, as Harry Belafonte alleged about the tea party, but it is deeply troubled — about the expansion of government, about immigration, about secularism, about the mainstreaming of what used to be the avant-garde. People with conventional views must repress a gag reflex when considering the mayor-elect of New York — a white man married to a black woman and with two biracial children. (Should I mention that Bill de Blasio’s wife, Chirlane McCray, used to be a lesbian?) This family represents the cultural changes that have enveloped parts — but not all — of America. To cultural conservatives, this doesn’t look like their country at all.

It doesn’t? “Attention, people with ‘conventional views’: Multiracial families and lesbianism make you physically ill,”Michelle Malkin’s Twitchy.com notes, adding, “Sorry, but what the hell?”

No doubt, Cohen was attempting to smear only the right — that’s how they make their living at the Washington Post, but because he did so in rather a clumsy fashion, becoming not the first journalist to shoot his own foot off via his computer keyboard in the process, Twitchy rounds up the Tweets from plenty of lefties taking umbrage at Cohen’s seeming loathing of interracial marriage. Including some at the Washington Post itself — their younger staffers are always eager to advance their own careers by tossing the wounded veterans upon the Spartan hillside to die. (See also: earlier attacks on Bob Woodward this year.)

Speaking of which, say, does Jeff Bezos know about this column? Is he OK with his newspaper claiming that the majority of his customers at Amazon.com “repress a gag reflex” when it comes to interracial marriage?

Back in 2008, Spencer Ackerman, one of the lads on Young Ezra Klein’s JournoList, now effectively owned by the Post, was writing rock-em sock’em passages such as:

Spencer Ackerman of the Washington Independent urged his colleagues to deflect attention from Obama’s relationship with Wright by changing the subject. Pick one of Obama’s conservative critics, Ackerman wrote, “Fred Barnes, Karl Rove, who cares — and call them racists.”

* * * * *

Let’s just throw Ledeen against a wall. Or, pace Dr. Alterman, throw him through a plate glass window. I’ll bet a little spot of violence would shut him right the fuck up, as with most bullies.

Cohen may have just splattered himself; with the Post under new management and the president they gave all to support in 2008 and 2012 scoring multiple self-inflicted wounds as well, I wonder how the morale in general at the Post is these days?

Update: More racial madness from the Washington Post. Last week, their cartoonist Tom Toles produced this “gem:”

washington_post_racist_cartoon_11-12-13

So Republicans attempting trying to prevent America from heading even further down the road to serfdom is the equivalent of Democrat George Wallace blocking the schoolhouse door in 1963 — and just in time for the 50th anniversary of JFK’s assassination later this month. And why does the trunk of the GOP elephant look suspiciously like a Woodrow Wilson supporter’s Klan hood? You’re on quite a roll, WaPo — take two conspiracy theories out of petty cash.

"(Should I mention that Bill de Blasio’s wife, Chirlane McCray, used to be a lesbian?)"

Huh? Used to be? I thought homosexuality was inherent at birth, not subject to change? I thought even questioning that axiom was bigotry? Or is questioning not questioning that axiom bigotry? It's all so confusing.

Or not. Whatever I say or think is virtuous. Whatever anyone who disagrees with me says or thinks is bigotry.
I'd be willing to wager that there are more interracial couples and families in the conservative ranks than in the entire Progressive movement. Just how many Midwestern or Southern farm boys have come home from serving in the military with Korean, Viet Namese, Japanese or Filipino brides? How many mixed race couple are coming home from service in the Middle East? These Fly-Over People do something that the Libs never think of doing. Living and working, often in harms way, and also socializing, with people of other ethnicities. And they've been doing this for several generations now. If the Progressives would just crawl out of their warm little, insulated bicoastal bubbles they'd find that the REAL people out there were miles ahead of them.
How in the hell did a registered Republican like myself, born and raised in the South, end up with a daughter that dates a black guy, a 20 year old son (now a Registered Republican) who took a black girl to his senior prom a couple of years ago, a lesbian sister (Phd, brother who died of AIDS, and a Democratic sister, whose daughter interned with Bill Clinton, married to a big wig Republican?

Cohen and his ilk are complete dumb asses who think their cleverly smearing conservatives. But, they're only showing their own bigotry, stupidity and mean spiritedness.
Crap like that is why so many Americans are frothing angry.
"— a white man married to a black woman and with two biracial children."

I know I'm terribly old-fashioned, but I am not at all shocked that the children of a white man and a black woman are biracial. I suppose, if I was really cool and hip and with it like Richard Cohen, I would expect the children to be Asian or something - is that right? Am I getting the hang of liberal logic now?
Witness the Unbelievable Amount of Racism That
Exists Among Conservatives and in the Tea Party

…/… Every time I read a column in which a leftist laments the racism he constantly finds among conservative groups, I wonder if he has ever heard about Tim Scott.

Given that the legislator from South Carolina is the only member of the United States Senate who is African-American, one would think that his name might be — almost — as renowned as Barack Obama's.

The explanation for Scott's relative obscurity is that he is a Republican — one who is backed by Tea Partiers and one from a Southern state to boot.

And were Scott better known, it would be far more difficult for leftists to bewail the racism of Republicans and Tea Partiers, not to mention Southerners. …/…

Read the whole thing…
White guy here married to a Chinese lady. We have two bi-racial sons. We're all conservatives.
Well, I guess I'm no longer Puerto Rican (and thus interracial by default) because I married a white man, have two multiracial daughters - and I'm a Republican...

If only this jerk were to meet my husband...
Proud conservative here, married to a Filipina American for 17 years. Three biracial sons who are the most handsome boys in the world.

And I don't even need a "Celebrate Diversity" bumper sticker to convince myself of my benevolence. There's no reason to celebrate it, because I would have married her even if she was as white as me.
I'm pretty sure my American-Filipina daughter has them all beat hands down for cuteness. Just saying.
I have to take issue with you, sir.

*My* biracial sons are the most handsome boys in the world. And the smartest. I'm sure you are convinced of the rightness of your view regarding the handsomeness of your own children, and I'm sure they are indeed fine looking young men. But mine are the most handsome.
Uh, guys ... it seems to me that the guy who barred the door, Gov. Wallace, was a DEMOCRAT! Oh well, history is bunk, isn't it?
oft times wonder what dissonance Houston, with its out, unreformed lesbian as actual mayor, would cause those in the Acela corridor if they gave it any thought.......but please don't bring it to their attention, we're quite happy being ignored
Indeed, we all recoil at interracial marriage--except ,um, Justice Thomas and his wife Virginia, Michelle Malkin and her husband--say, now that I think of it, any interracial marriages at the Post? In the family that owns the NYT? Richard Cohen, it's time to retire.
The last time I checked, Clarence Thomas, conservatives' favortite Supreme, is in biracial marriage. Doesn't seem to bother anyone except liberals who want Justiice Thomas to act like blacks are supposed to act.
And Virginia Thomas sure take the occasional pounding fro the leftist (redundant I know) media. All for being married to an independent, non-Liberal Plantation Black man.
1 2 Next View All

One Trackback to “And Now, a Few Words on Interracial Marriage from the Washington Post’s Richard Cohen”