Ed Driscoll

‘I’ve Never Cried Because of a Science Report Before’

September 29th, 2013 - 2:57 pm
eric_malthus_weatherman_meltdown_tweets_9-27-13-1

Click to enlarge.

The Blogosphere has had quite a collective chuckle this weekend at the tweets of Eric Holthaus, a former Wall Street Journal weatherman now employed by an Internet start-up. The tweets above, assembled by Twitchy, illustrate his meltdown on Friday; the London Daily Mail has more of the backstory:

A meteorologist who has covered weather for the Wall Street Journal tweeted that he has decided not to have children in order to leave a lighter carbon footprint, and is considering having a vasectomy.

He also vowed to stop flying after the world’s recent climate-change report made him cry.

Eric Holthaus was reacting to the findings from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change which released a report on Friday that found it was ‘extremely likely’ that humans are causing warming trends seen in the last several decades.

On Friday afternoon the weatherman tweeted: ‘No children, happy to go extinct, which in and of itself, carries a certain sadness. #IPCC’

* * * * * *

Holthaus, who now writes for Quartz, has decided he will also reduce his carbon footprint by giving up on air travel.

‘I just broke down in tears in boarding area at SFO while on phone with my wife. I’ve never cried because of a science report before. #IPCC,’ was his first tweet on around 2pm on Friday.

‘I realised just now: This has to be the last flight I ever take. I’m committing right now to stop flying. It’s not worth the climate,’ he tweeted a few minutes later.

“Hahahahaha!!!! Classic!,” commenter Tim Maguire responded to that last tweet at Instapundit, paraphrasing Holthaus’s future no-flight vow as “I feel so strongly about this that I vow here and now to change my behavior some other time.”

And the Small Dead Animals blog focuses on this hilarious tidbit: “According to another tweet from Holthaus, the Dutch artist known as Tinkerbell, who calls attention to animal rights issues through works that use the remains of dead animals, had herself sterilized last week for a similar reason.”

Holthaus tweeted that “I’ve never cried because of a science report before.” And as Oscar Wilde would say, it would take a heart of stone not to roar with laughter at the eco-apocalyptic meltdowns by Holthaus and “Tinkerbell.” But the astonishing thing is: why aren’t there more people on the left having similarly hysterical eco-epiphanies when faced with imaginary eco-doom?

Of course, the leftwing elites who’ve grown the wealthiest pushing apocalyptic climate change fantasies are immune from such a reaction, yet another reminder that they don’t believe their own rhetoric, as they cheerfully hop from one apocalyptic climate conference to another on their private planes. A recent post at Newsbusters illustrates this sort of double-track thinking perfectly. At the liberal Brookings Institute this past Friday, Al Gore provided a fresh new update on his past rhetoric of calling conservatives “digital brownshirts.” Perhaps responding to President Obama’s call for an era of new civility,  Al is now calling conservatives “political terrorists”:

Why does partisanship have anything to do with such a despicable and dishonorable threat to the integrity of the United States of America?  It cannot be allowed. But it can only be stopped if people in both parties independents as well say, “look, I might not agree with everything that’s in the Affordable Care Act, but it did pass, it was upheld by the Supreme Court, it is the law of the land. You didn’t succeed in the constitutional process by which this was considered, and now you want to threaten to not only shut down our government, but blow up the world economy?….How dare you! How dare you!”

But in 2006, Al was busy telling people that the world was coming to an end a decade later — which means we have less than three years to go. If Al really believed his own rhetoric, wouldn’t he want the “the world economy” to “shut down,” to reduce warming and to extend the planet’s life? (Gore’s fellow Democrats, Sen. Claire McCaskill and then-Senator John Kerry, have both praised the diminished Obama economy for its Gaia-cleansing ways.)

But when Gore was cornered in the US Senate by Sen. Jim Inhoffe (R-OK) in 2007 to personally take the pledge that he had guilt-tripped audiences with in An Inconvenient Truth, “to consume no more energy for use in my residence than the average American household,” Al of course refused. As Ann Coulter quipped at the time, Gore “may be a hypocrite but at least he’s not a moron.”

Hey, anybody who can parlay a low-rated environmentally themed cable TV channel into a $100-million paycheck by selling out to Big Middle Eastern Oil is no moron. But I don’t worry too much about Elmer Gantry; I worry about those in the pews who blindly follow him.

And it’s a form of religious hucksterism almost as old as Sinclair Lewis’s legendary preacher.

As Julia Gorin noted in the Christian Science Monitor in 2006, the cult of global warming returned to the forefront in the first decade of the 21st century as part of the left’s reaction to 9/11. “Freud called it displacement,” Gorin wrote. “People fixate on the environment when they can’t deal with real threats. Combating the climate gives nonhawks a chance to look tough. They can flex their muscle for Mother Nature, take a preemptive strike at an SUV. Forget the Patriot Act, it’s Kyoto that’ll save you.” Though the mindset of “the moral equivalent of war” dates back a century to William James and the earliest progressives; and Jimmy Carter explicitly used those words in 1977 to describe his war on fossil fuel, which is why we spent the end of the 1970s with gas lines and rationing. Carter followed up his non-energy energy speech with his infamous “malaise speech” of 1979, in which he assumed that the crisis of confidence he and his fellow leftists were suffering applied to the nation as a whole. The American people gave him their answer the following year at the ballot box.

I have been praying that the leftie warmists would demonstrate their committment to lowering carbon footprints by voluntarily removing themselves from the gene pool immediately - thereby saving us all.

But they're far too self absorbed. ;-)
I plan on ending my airline use as well. My date will be December 14, 2016, when I turn 65 and the FAA says I must retire as an airline pilot with somewhere around 35000 hours of carbon footprint aloft.
I have no problems with lefties sterilizing themselves. I just wish they did it before the abortion.
my best friend's step-sister makes $89 an hour on the computer. She has been unemployed for 5 months but last month her pay was $13439 just working on the computer for a few hours. ........> www.jobs60.ℂom
If this Holthaus fellow would give himself a massive, bowel-draining enema and follow up with a self-performed Frontal Lobotomy, I would pay to see these things occur. Doubtless others would, as well.
...and then I would donate all the pay per view revenue to Make-A-Wish and send deserving youngsters [on planes] to places of their choice.
So finally, this mental jerk-off would be doing something useful, after all......
Everybody can earn 150$+ daily... You can earn from 4000-9000 a month or even more if you work as a full time job...It's easy, just follow instructions on this page, read it carefully from start to finish... It's a flexible job but a good earning opportunity.. go to this site home tab for more detail ..... W­W­W.D­a­y­3­5.C­O­M
I see natural selection is not entirely out of vogue...
Eric Holthaus, do you know what would help Mother Earth heal even better, if you killed yourself. Just think of all the CO2 that wouldn't get created if you no longer needed to heat your house, cool your house, heat your water, cook your food, refrigerate your food, drive your car, light your house, operate your electrical appliances, etc... not to speak of all the CO2 you emit 24/7 with each breath. So, do Gaia a favor and kill yourself.
Well Eric might be phonier than a three dollar bill, but so are you, and the rest of pajama media.

Because what I see first, before the story even loads, is an advert for the Ganggreen in Sacramento, which offers the proceeds of Jerry Brown's fossil fuel user fees as a premium to socialism loving millionaire property owners. You know, the type that kickback give generously to the demo party of California.
Why would you want to have any part in that?

Flyboy might be crying about this report because he just hired on as a weatherman on a start up version of crowd sourced weather reporting in hunt of the Great Warmin. I know I'd be crying to my wife if that happened to me.
It's called, "Taking Their Money And Laughing All The Way To The Bank".
Money soaked in the blood of eagles.

Hey. It's a good gig if you can get it
The answer to Malthus flew yesterday. Elon Musk has already reduced the cost to Low Earth Orbit from the $10k/lb of the Space Shuttle down to $2k/lb. With yesterday's very successful flight of the Falcon 9 version 1.1, Spacex has proven the technology to cut that cost in half. If they succeed in returning just the first stage boosters from the planned Falcon Heavy (3 F9v1.1s), they can reduce costs to $500/lb. Space - where unlimited free energy, unlimited free resources and no gravity, beckon life to flower and spread off this little blue ball. Malthus be damned.
Meanwhile, in the real world, some people have noticed that Malthus has long ago been proven completely wrong, as have all past promises of free, unlimited resources and energy.
I am all for 'Global Warming' enthusiasts to getting neutered and spayed.
Someone should take up a collection for this purpose.
I wonder how many drinks Mr. Hothouse had in the airport lounge before he burst into tears and started tweeting his wife.
Here's a movie plot:

A serial killer decides to take all these "eliminationists" seriously, and starts knocking them off.
I was a kid when the Club of Rome report, based on a (gasp!) Computer Model(!) came out. I put it to my Dad (a physical scientist, you know, the type who actually uses math) and he taught me the phrase "garbage in, garbage out".

PS - Logan's Run was a pretty good book made into a silly movie. It was based on the assumption that the baby boom (which had started petering out) would continue, and the overwhelming majority of the worlds' people would be under 21, which then was the voting age.

I do recall that era also produced an Conservative TV movie where a couple was escaping the evil PopCon (Population Control) Bureau. I've never been able to locate it.
1 2 3 4 5 Next View All