With today being the 100th anniversary of the Boy Scouts’ Eagle Scouting Award, my friend Michael S. Malone of Forbes and ABC, and a frequent contributor here at PJM, drops by to talk about his newest book, Four Percent: The Story of Uncommon Youth in a Century of American Life. During our interview, Michael discusses:
- The history of the Boy Scouts, and how Scouts went from being the pride of the early American Progressive movement to being demonized a century later by today’s would-be “Progressives.”
- Why the Eagle Scouting badge has been dubbed “The PhD of Boyhood.”
- How the original Dangerous Book for Boys was written — over a century ago.
- The Boy Scouts versus Liberal Fascism and the Moral Equivalent of War.
- Hollywood stars who everyone assumes were Eagle Scouts — but weren’t.
- Past presidents and their connection with Scouting — and Barack Obama’s tenuous relationship with the organization.
And much more. Click here to listen:
Since in the past, a few people have complained of difficulties with the Flash player above and/or downloading the audio, use the video player below, or click here to be taken to YouTube, for an audio-only YouTube clip. Between one of those versions, you should find a format that plays on your system.