Dr. Helen

Men on Strike in L.A.?

March 20th, 2014 - 7:48 pm

shutterstock_142861600

I was at an L.A. cafe rooftop deck where a couple of guys were sitting with two pretty twenty-something women. The men got up after chugging a few beers and laughing with the women. They left and the girls stayed drinking and smoking (!) for a bit. Finally, the waiter came over to one of the girls to bring the check. The pretty brunette in a knit hat looked up and asked, “Did the guys pay for their beers?” “Yes”, the waiter said. “But only their own beers?” asked the girls. “Yes, only for their own beers,” the waiter said.

The girls looked annoyed and reluctantly pulled out their wallets, realizing that the two guys they had been laughing with over drinks had paid for themselves and split. I watched the girls, amused at the idea that they figured two cute girls were entitled to free drinks wherever they went. Apparently, many twenty-something girls think that it’s up to the guy to pay for their drinks. But perhaps it never entered these L.A. guys’ minds to do that. It was refreshing. I sat back and ate my salad, thinking that in some way these guys were either onto the game or just on strike.

Also read:

How Would the Male Pill Change Things?

What? It's "selfish" to expect women you aren't dating to pay for their own drinks?

My take is that women like those described in the article are freeloaders with entitlement attitudes. They think their vaginas should guarantee them free stuff. What awful people.

You better get your balls back from your GF or wife. You've been separated from them for too long.
Maybe the women were bossy.
Interesting. Women feel entitled to have men pay for their drinks when out. But, it is corrosive to the soul to have a friend pay for a night out when women are in a less lucrative career or out of a job.

So it would seem the women are selling their time and attention to the men for a drink. But it would be wrong to sell your time and attention to a friend? Even if that is what the friend would really like and understands the burden it would put on you?

Has anyone noticed that the only form of prostitution that is illegal is the honest form where both parties enter into the transaction with honest offers?
On strike implies that men somehow want to get back doing what they used to do..In other words, back onto the plantation..

I don't think so...

Dat freedom... is too awesome to go back to the way things used to be...
Now we know why they were laughing.
So they've gone Galt?

(At one time, would the men actually have been forced to pay by the management?)
No woman who ever had a drink with me ever paid for her drink! I would not allow them too. I am a man. I do that!
Maybe the women were six drinks in when the guys met them. Maybe the guys are gay. Maybe the women are gay. Maybe the laughing women told the men to FOAD. Maybe they're all old friends and coworkers not trying to make each other. Maybe the women are the mens' bosses. All we know for sure is the women didn't leave with the men, and isn't that enough?

There are a million stories in the big city, and this is one of them.
The woman was annoyed.
But, But, Daddy always paid.
Go meet a nice girl in church.
They're not nice, either, and have their own set of insufferable demands. Hypergamy rules the day there as sure as anywhere else. Why sit through another hour+ of hearing how I need to "man up" and take care of women?
Wrong women or wrong Church.
I've been invited to plenty. Not that I have a problem with faith, or I'm looking at church as a hook up, but I haven't been impressed.

The problem is with our culture that has no value for men. Women don't see value in men, and they view faith as yet another tool to control, guilt and manipulate men without reciprocity. Maybe hypergamy isn't the right word, but like family court and our welfare state, church has been hijacked into demanding more crap for women.

I have my faith, regardless. I've yet to see a compelling reason in the last 15 years to ruin a good Sunday with going to church. I'm capable of praying to be a better man, without the miserable hour of boring pageantry in a gagging cloud of someone's Estee Lauder, and I feel foolish in a sea of people waving their hands in the air in adoring supplication. I don't fault people who are getting something out of that, but neither place is where I fit in. I'm fidgety, crude, crass, easily bored, and I'm not that happy in a crowd of people.

I want to *do* something. So I'm out most weekends helping a friend finish the framing and roughing on his mom's house, or I'm studying, or I'm spending time with my kids.
It does not say that the women came along with the men. For all you know, the men were there at a table and the couple of unknown women just joined because the table had some vacant seats. And the men then left when they planned to. The women who were probably not even planned dates had no right to even expect any indication of their beers being paid for unless they had an explicit agreement with the men when they came and sat at the table.
I assumed that's what she meant.
Richard Feynman had it figured out, and explained it in Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman:
If you want to get laid (and you're a heterosexual man) never pay for anything you don't consume, until you have actually been laid or you're sure you're about to be.

The science is settled. You can't argue with Science!
This has nothing to do with men going on strike. I've done similar things back in the mid 1980s. It's a simple matter of wisdom. It takes time to develop the wisdom to discern when you're being used by a woman. Manipulating her into a position where she's forced to pay cash for her use of your time is a basic counter tactic.
1 2 3 4 Next View All