Dr. Helen

It’s about time….

January 25th, 2014 - 1:33 pm

USA Today: “Initiative increases focus on the health of boys:”

Adolescent boys and young-adult males do not see doctors or access the health care system nearly as much as teen girls and young women — and that gap has significant health consequences for guys throughout their lives, says a Washington, D.C.-based advocacy group.

To help health care providers better serve young men and teens, The Partnership for Male Youth today is launching a free, Web-based clinical toolkit.

“No one has done this before focused on this population group,” says Dennis Barbour, executive director of the partnership and co-founder of its parent group, The Boys Initiative.

Research shows that boys are at higher risk than their female contemporaries for suicide, ADHD diagnosis, substance abuse, homicide, accidental injury and certain sexually transmitted diseases, among other conditions, says Barbour.

Yet all our society does is spend its healthcare dollars and time trying to help women and girls. It’s about time that the needs of men and boys are also considered.

I am not buying what they are selling. I smell rent-seeking. I smell progressive style medical interventionism predicated on social science BS about boys that ignores the damage they are already doing to boys and young men by attributing being a male as something that can be "treated", mostly by the psych profession. Here's why:

Homicide is not a medical problem, it's a gang problem brought on by the welfare culture.

ADHD is over diagnosed, due to the intervention of the medical industry already. Also involved in this is the Public Schools, who have forgotten how to deal with male energy. My own son was "diagnosed" at age 4 as such. We asked the teacher if she ever had any brothers growing up. She didn't. We told her to not practice medicine without a license and for a teacher that knew how little boys behaved, so he wouldn't be pigeon-holed by the progressive social engineer idiots.

Suicide: How many are due to teens being on SSRI and other shady psych drugs, again, due to existing medical interventionism? Or their treatment by feminist progressives in the schools?

Accidental injury is a symptom of being an ordinary young man, and not a symptom of any medical condition. Same with substance "abuse"; male risk taking elevates the participation rate. Add in gang involvement in the ghettos for certain sub populations of young men; it's a conduct issue, not a medical issue.

We don't need more medical interventionism for young men and boys. Medical interventionism is causing some of these problems.

We need to address Progressive cultures anti-male sexism in our schools that causes some of theses issues by treating boys like defective girls and seeking to dope them up if they can't sit still. Deal with changing the welfare rules to encourage women to not screw boys they don't want to have babies with.
The latest research show that two thirds of all health care spending is on girls/women. Taking that math another way, for every $1 of health care spending on men/boys, $2 is spent on women/girls. Most of us know of women who run to a doctor for every little thing, or sometimes for nothing (constant "routine followups"). Much of it is, of course, unnecessary, and is yet another way for the most pampered human beings in global history—Western women—to spend and spend others' money.

It would appear that girls are being taught at early ages to waste medical resources. This story is evidence.
Well, MooCow, I worked in education for 20 years, at all levels from 1st grade through sophomore collete, and I know how they system works. I've seen children misdiagnosed by teachers, principals and school nurses, and I've seen the effect the medication they were prescribed had on them.

Are you denying that the vast majority of recent school shooters were on some type of psychotropic drug? Because if you are, then you're uniformed.

The reason why I doubt that ADHD is a real disorder is because it's defined by symptoms, not by a cause. So a boy is restless in class. He needs to burn off some energy. So a boy is disinterested in coursework. He's bored by it. So a boy is falling behind, dropping out. The curriculum did not teach him essential skills and provide him with the motivation to succeed.

This is not an indication of a mental disorder, not one that can be diagnosed with any certainty. Rather, it is an indication of the complete failure of the school system and the culture at large, as it pertains to raising boys to become men.

There is no drug that can cure that. Unless there is a drug that causes adults to pull their heads out of their asses and take a serious look at what is really going on.

The side effects of psychotropic drugs are far more harmful than the supposed disease they're supposed to treat. Anyone who questions that has not looked at what those side effects are.

The real problem is that boys are being diagnosed as defective girls. And then given drugs that only make their behavior worse. It's the same with this health care iniative. Men don't go to the doctor enough, therefore they are defective women. So let's shuffle them off to the doctor for every little ache and pain.

To what point, the total feminization of society with big government as our provider?

Unless I have a serious injury or disease, I don't need to go to a doctor. If I feel a cold coming on, I'll take a shot of whiskey, a tablespoon of honey and a tablepoon of lemon juice. You'd be surprised how effective those old wive's remedies are. Otherwise, there are several over the counter medications that will do the trick. What do I need to go to a doctor for?

And before you think that I'm just making this stuff up, know that I was seriously injured in an automible accident when I was 17. Some punks stole a stop sign and I got blind sided by a truck, just so you know. I was in a coma for two weeks and suffered multiple injuries, including a third degree burn that required two surgeries and also bilateral strabismus--my eyes were knocked crooked--that also required two surgeries. Needless to say, I had a hard time through college.

My parents sent me to a psychiatrist because I was having problems coping with it all. He prescribed this drug and that drug; I was basically a pin-cushion to him. What were the side effects of these drugs? Restlessness, sleepness, short term memory loss. My grades plummetted.

After a semester, I refused to take the medication and would not go back to the psychiatrist. I decided to tough it out. I graduated, not with the best GPA but with a degree. I went back to college and graduated with another degree. I went to graduate school and graduated on the dean's list. So don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.
I'm lucky that I went to High School in the 1960's. I was bored to tears. I finished assignments "too fast." And, I sinned, by reading other material during class lectures. In the 21st Century, I would be medicated for ADHD.

My "illness", after thorough testing, turned out to be an IQ of 145. I was simply never challenged by the curriculum.
Prior to the passage of Title IX, our local co-ed middle school offered its boys a voluntary intensive physical fitness course which met before school so as not to conflict with mandatory established curricula. The beauty of this particular course is that it basically "wore-out" the boys to such an extent that they were much more ready and able to sit still through--and benefit from--an entire day of standard public mass-education. I haven't checked but if this particular program still exists it must be co-ed now or be matched with a "similar" program for girls (whether they need it or not!) as per Title IX. Even today I'd be willing to bet that most if not all it's participants are boys. Obvious benefits aside I suspect such a program would be difficult to support these days because of the greater need for insurance and fear of lawsuits.
Do you know that the average IQ of people anonymously bragging on the Internet about the magnitude of their IQ is 152?

So you are below average. Why would you want to admit that if it isn't a natural part of the conversation and has to be shoehorned in?
Damn. I'm even below average when it comes to bragging.
Oh that was good. Thank you.
The young are largely invincible. Of the 6 doctor visits the 18-32 year olds make during that period, 5.75 are for their birth control prescription. Make BC over the counter - perhaps with a pharmacists lecture about side-effects that should be reviewed by a physician and both men and women would have the same rate of visits. The health insurance companies know this - it's why catastrophic, high deductible (i.e. a few iPads worth of deductible) policies for this cohort (used to be) dirt cheap.

Reminds me of the 'pubs voting to outlaw incandescent light-bulbs because GE thought they could get a bunch of new business and a run of patent-protected revenues. No different than the Freon 12 fiasco where the refrigeration companies and DuPont smelled money. Irrespective of the number of kids that died because the replacement gas in inhalers was no where near as effective (to say number of deaths due to it being flammable). With no change to the "ozone hole" at all. Business (in this case doctors, hospitals and the insurance companies) can't help themselves when given the choice between profit and not (getting a gift of 20% more business by a law - vice having to compete on value for it).

A contract-constrained government once was able to, but no more. A pity.
Somewhere, in the mix, is several truths.

Men don't go to the doctor enough.

Women need to go to the doctor somewhat more than men.

Women go to the doctor, far more than they should, above and beyond the need. Some of it is exploitive, some of it is hypochondria, and our public spending focuses far more on one or two women's health issues more than it does on *every* other health issue. (Save teh boobiez! Pink ribbons evryee wherez! Pink police cars! Pink NFL! Pink Yoghurt! Pink Shooez! Women are teh uber-victims!)

The medical industry's recommendations should be viewed in a dim light because they have a financial interest in the result. Same with anything the goverment is at the root of.

Much of the cost of health care in this country, and it's problems like the lack of efficiency, has it's roots in government sponsored 'free' health care for poor and elderly. More bureaucracy isn't going to help.

Most of the 'problems' with young men are diagnosed from the perspective that boys are defective girls, rather than normal boys, by women who've been taught that men are rotten, evil creatures responsible for everything bad.

Some of this attention to driving men, especially young, healthy men, to the doctor is to get ahead of the valid criticism that the ACA is designed as a wealth transfer scheme to benefit elderly and women at the expense of young men, kind of like the "Patriarchy hurts men, too!" meme.
Very good points. I'd add only that much of the cost of health care in this country is due to malpractice suits. A doctor who was treating me told me, "It's great. I practice half as much medicine, and I get paid just as much, because I do all these tests to protect myself against malpractice suits."
When you are a hammer every problem looks like a nail.

The medical profession-with access to large pools of 3rd party money- with shrinking revenues turning their attention to social situations will coincidentally see indications for prescribed medicine, follow-up exams, and diagnostic / exploratory procedures. Treatment inevitably leads to more iatrogenic illness.

Medications have side-effects and interactions requiring additional medicines. Visits to hospitals and clinics exposes patients to exotic bacteria and viruses that are very difficult to treat. More advance diagnostic tests result in more false positives and more tests and procedures.

MEDICAL treatment of serious disease and injury is a great tool for better living. Commonplace and frequent visits to doctors for minor symptom relief is just expensive navel-gazing.

We need fewer people who think themselves worthy of prolonged navel gazing.
This is the very LAST thing young men need - - the attention of a self-serving healthcare apparatus.

First, there’s very little the healthcare establishment can do to address the stated disadvantage.

Second, anyone the least bit familiar with how women were treated when they turned themselves over to a traditionally male-dominated OB-GYN industry would run not walk the other direction. Between the sexual humiliation, false positives and surgical prosecution of innocent dysplasia, women have most definitely been injured by their trust (and isn’t it a War on Women for a healthcare provider to insist on invasive examination as a precondition for refilling an oral contraceptive script?).

Women live longer not because of the US healthcare system nor their patronage of it. They are simply smaller and we wear out quicker. That simple (which is why belt size trumps BMI as a predictor for longevity).

Not one study evaluating wellness examinations (annual physicals) has found any value to the practice (well, to patients….lots of value to providers). Not one. And we waist $140 billion annually in the US on the practice (fully burdened to include the false positives and follow-up that flow from this laying of hands nonsense). We shouldn’t be surprised. Palpation and visual inspection are not reliable diagnostics.

So let’s nip this one in the bud and then go on to end Womens Wellness shortly thereafter (if women want a wellness specialist, the statistics suggest a Cardiologist would be the best call).
I totally agree with SFCTed. ADHD is way over diagnosed, even if it is a real disorder which I doubt. And the medication prescribed to treat this supposed disorder does more harm than good. In fact, almost all of the recent school shootings, including the theater shooting at the Batman premiere, were commited by young men on some sort of psychotropic drug. Why? Look at the side effects--restlessness, sleeplessness, depression, suicidal thoughts, homicidal ideation.

Oh, so we have some boy who can't sit still in a classroom, because he has no outlet for his energy since they took away recess and any form of physical activity, being forced to read feminist progressive propaganda, and instead of changing the school system and the curriculum to better accomodate and serve him, he is diagnosed with a disorder and prescribed pyschotropic drugs that worsen his condition and make him want to go out and kill people. Makes a lot of sense.

Oh, and by the way, no one talks about Brenda Ann Spencer anymore. Remember her? First day of school, second semester, January 1979. She had expressed some interest in hunting and her father had given her a .22 rifle for Christmas. On the first day of school, she pretended to be sick and stayed home, where she set up a sniper post and opened fire on the elementary school across the street. Killed the principal and the janitor, wounded a security guard and eight children. It was the first public school shooting, or at least the first highly publicized one.

When asked why she had done it, she said, "I don't like Mondays."

I'm wondering if anyone else can see the irony here. The first public school shooting was committed by a girl, for no reason whatsoever. Since then every accomadation imaginable has been made to make school more comfortable for girls, at the expense of boys. Now, boys are diagnosed with a disorder and given dangerous drugs that cause them to go on suicidal homicidal rampages.

But, hey, at least the Boomtown Rats got a mega-hit out of it.

The silicon chip inside her head gets switched to overload
And nobody's going to go to school today, she's gonna make them stay at home
And daddy doesn't understand it, he always said she was good as gold
And he can see no reason, cause there are no reasons
What reason do you need to be told?

Tell me why
I don't like Mondays
Tell me why
I don't like Mondays
Tell me why
I don't like Mondays
I want to shoot the whole day down

Nobody diagnosed her with a mental disorder. Nobody prescribed her psychotropic drugs. She killed two people and shot eight children.

And the telex machine is kept so clean as it types to a waiting world
Mother feels so shocked, father's world is rocked
As they turn their thoughts to their own little girl
Sweet sixteen, ain't that peachy keen
Now it ain't to late to admit defeat

Did her parents fail her? Did the school system? Did her doctor?

The playing's stopped on the play ground now
She wants to play with her toys awhile
And school's out early and soon we'll be learning
And the lesson today is how to die
And then the bullhorn crackles and the captain tackles
With the problems of the hows and whys
And he can see no reason, cause there are no reasons
What reason do you need to die?

Tell me why
I don't like Mondays

There is a very clear correlation between recent school shootings and psychotropic drugs, and the school system and its mistreatment, miseducation and misdiagnosis of boys. There is no explanation for Brenda Ann Spencer.

As far as health care goes, I don't need it. I haven't been to a doctor in over a decade. The last time I went was because I had a severe ear infection. The doctor gave me a steroid shot and some pills. I went home and was back at work the next day.
" And the medication prescribed to treat this supposed disorder does more harm than good."

I missed this the first time.

My god, does your stupidity know any bounds at all? You have no idea what you're talking about, at all. You have no idea what it's like to suffer from this disorder, and no idea how wonderful the medication is when properly utilized.

Example: I haven't used any medication for about 20 years. About two year ago, I decided to give it another try, because I was really struggling with certain aspects of life (both personal and professional) related to my ADHD.

The value of medication for work is somewhat debatable. But for my personal life? Home run! I look really good on paper, so I get lots of first dates. Not so many second dates. My second date ratio increased by a factor of 10 with medication. By controlling my symptoms with medicine, rather than sheer willpower, I freed up energy to focus on what my date was actually saying. Not only is the experience more enjoyable, I come off as much more relaxed (no constantly tapping foot), more engaged (I'm able to listen to her talk because I'm not concentrating on preventing myself from interrupting her), and all around better socialized.

What are the down sides to the medication? For the basic stuff, a bit of a roller coaster effect. If you get the gold plated drugs (EG, Vyvanse), the side effects are non-existent.
"even if it is a real disorder which I doubt."

You need to shut up about things you clearly are too ignorant to understand. I'll agree it's over diagnosed, but non existent? God, I wish. I wish I was able to concentrate like normal people. I wish I didn't have the hyperactive tendencies that make me look like I'm on crack (I've had people take offense at my tapping foot during meetings). I wish I didn't have the impulse control problems.

Is medication the only answer? Of course not. But it helps. It's good for young children, who can't possibly be expected to develop the coping mechanisms they need. Medication should be used sparingly in high school and college to develop coping mechanisms. Then when you get out in the real world, combine the two for a fabulous one two punch.

Medication is a great tool to have on your belt. Anyone with ADHD who doesn't keep that tool around is a farking idiot.
I'm not buying this at all. Women's health is more complicated just by the fact of our biology, and I've known lots of men who ran to the doctor for every little thing that they had wrong.

I'm all for supporting boy's and men's rights but turning them into another class of victims is not helpful.

Women believe that Womens Health is "more complicated just by the fact of our biology" because they have been indoctrinated to believe that. The statistics show that women die from CV disease in numbers that overwhelm death by all cancers combined. And courtesy of prostate cancer (high incidence and mortality rate), our junk fails at about the same rates as your junk. The sad truth is that none of Womens Wellness would survive a cost-benefit analysis and hence has not received one. Take a look at ACOG's attempt to justify its practices in their 2012 policy statement -- you'll be shocked how often "expert opinion" is cited.
Not indoctrinated, just hit with several health issues related to my reproductive system, which started at 16 with passing out monthly, add to that 2 pregnancies, two additional surgeries and 6 month check ups anytime I was on hormonal birth control. If I was a healthy male I would have none of these visits, even if my 'junk' fails at 50-60 like yours will, so you're wrong. Women's health is more complicated. Causes of death is another issue entirely.
"If I was a healthy male I would have none of these visits"

If you were a healthy female you would have had none of those visits.
MinigoV,
Your statements are certainly correct; however, how does that justify ACA's one-size fits all policy costs.
At least in the past, automobile insurance was more expensive for young males than females, because actuarial data showed they cost more to insure. Same thing here, just the tables are turned and now suddenly, it is again the male's fault.
SFCTed,
Except for ADHD, all the 'ailments' of young men seem to me to be pretty standard part of growing up. ADHD is indeed already a problem of too much interaction of the medical community and pop-psychology.

Like all these 'studies' this one is treating the symptoms and not the causes;
Single parents, welfare, rampant gang crime, pathetic education system, using Government as the solution instead of family and community.

Since Government policies are the source of all of these problems, I don't think *more* Government policies are the solution.
The problems Barbour identifies are not for the most part health problems, they are social problems. Doctors can't help with that. Trying to treat them as medical conditions is insulting and will alienate teen and adult males. Generally speaking, part of the male ethos is health and vigor. Men, unlike women, don't want to visit the doctor whenever they get the sniffles. They prefer to tough it out. This whole idea will flop.
1 2 Next View All