Stretch, grab a late afternoon cup of caffeine and get caught up on the most important news of the day with our Coffee Break newsletter. These are the stories that will fill you in on the world that's spinning outside of your office window - at the moment that you get a chance to take a breath.
Sign up now to save time and stay informed!

University of Georgia Socialist Group Calls for GOP Lawmakers to Be 'Guillotined'

Barely a week goes by without our political atmosphere becoming more noxious and the rhetoric growing more heated. A recent incident at my alma mater, the University of Georgia, highlights the toxicity of today's discourse, especially on the Left.

On May 11, someone at the Twitter account for the Young Democratic Socialists at the University of Georgia retweeted an article about a professor who said that Republicans in Congress should be rounded up and shot with, "This is absolutely outrageous. House Republicans should NOT be shot! They should be guillotined."

The group has since deleted the tweet — and the rest of their account — but, fortunately for us, screen shots are forever.

Campus newspaper The Red & Black notes that the organization's former leader claims the tweet was a joke (because the only jokes anyone can make today must come at the expense of conservatives):

According to David Littman, founder of the Young Democratic Socialists, the inflammatory tweet was intended as a joke and should not be taken literally.

“I wouldn’t have made that joke myself, but it is clearly and obviously facetious,” Littmann said. “As a strict pacifist, I believe that all violence is immoral, period. But it’s absurd to take the joke literally.”

For what it's worth, Littman graduated from UGA in 2016 and is no longer affiliated with the organization.

As any organization worth its salt would, the University of Georgia is looking into the matter, as it relayed on Twitter:

Shortly after UGA's response to the offending tweet, the Young Democratic Socialists decided to distance themselves from the university and change their name to the Athens Democratic Socialists of America. As Breitbart reports:

“Recent events have made clear that the only way forward is through the democratic will and revolutionary spirit of our members and community. The Young Democratic Socialists student group at the University of Georgia has voted unanimously to distance itself from UGA and restructure its platform to meet the needs of its members and the larger Athens community,” according to a post the group made on Facebook.

The group later backed off from the tweet, claimed that the screen shots of the offending words were "edited," and issued somewhat of an expression of regret as a response to both the controversy the tweet caused and the shooting in Alexandria, Va., according to Online Athens:

A volunteer had posted the tweet without permission, and the group had changed its social media policy “to ensure that we manage our communications more carefully,” according to the post.

“It is unfortunate that images of this post were edited to make it look like a twisted response to the recent tragedy,” the post read in part. “We condemn all forms of violence.”

“We offer our condolences to the families of the wounded during this difficult time,” the post concluded.