Sure Mitt Romney won a “landslide” in Florida tonight according to the Drudge Report headline at this moment, but was it really? Here are some numbers to consider: Romney won 46% of the vote BUT when 32% for Gingrich is combined with 13% for Santorum the total is 45% for the conservative team and suddenly Romney’s “landslide” disappears.
You can expect to hear Gingrich spout this line of thinking. He will use it as one of the reasons he will stay in the race and fight to the finish, and why he thinks Santorum should drop out.
The 45% conservative vote vs. 46% for Romney proves once again just how polarized the GOP is in 2012.
When Romney eventually becomes the official nominee, uniting the conservative wing will be his most difficult undertaking as the new party leader.
That is a problem Romney must successfully address if he is to prevail against Obama and one that Obama is counting on Romney to not solve.