The Obama State Department allowed former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and her then-Deputy Chief of Staff Huma Abedin to remove electronic and physical records under a claim they were “personal” materials and “unclassified, non-record materials,” according to new documents released by Judicial Watch today. The files Clinton was permitted to remove included her calls and schedules, which were not be “released to the general public under FOIA.”
These new documents show the Obama State Dept had a deal with Hillary Clinton to hide her calls logs and schedules, which would be contrary to FOIA and other laws. When are the American people going to get an honest investigation of the Clinton crimes? https://t.co/WGIdpe9CeK
— Tom Fitton (@TomFitton) December 14, 2017
According to the records, Abedin was allowed to take five boxes of “physical files” out of the State Department, including records described as “Muslim Engagement Documents.”
Judicial Watch obtained the reports about the removed materials through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request.
Materials Clinton was allowed to remove were listed with the following note:
NOTE: The Secretary’s call log, grid and schedules are not classified, however, they would not be released to the general public under FOIA. They are being released to the Secretary with this understanding.
- Electronic copy of “daily files” – which are word versions of public documents and non-records: speeches/press statements/photos from the website, a non-record copy of the schedule, a non record copy of the call log, press clips, and agenda of daily activities
- Electronic copy of a log of calls the Secretary made since 2004, it is a non-record, since her official calls are logged elsewhere (official schedule and official call log)
- Electronic copy of the Secretary’s “call grid” which is a running list of calls she wants to make (both personal and official)
- 16 boxes: Personal Schedules (1993 thru 2008-prior to the Secretary’s tenure at the Department of State.
- 29 boxes: Miscellaneous Public Schedules during her tenure as FLOTUS and Senator-prior to the Secretary’s tenure at the Department of State
- 1 box: Personal Reimbursable receipts (6/25/2009 thru 1/14/2013)
- 1 box: Personal Photos
- 1 box: Personal schedule (2009-2013)
Judicial Watch notes that the originals of some of Clinton’s documents were retained, such as the call logs and schedules, but there’s no indication that copies were made for other records, including “her personal correspondence and gift binders, which could reflect Clinton Foundation and Clinton Global Initiative ties.”
Regulations regarding the receipt of gifts by federal employees in the executive branch are as follows:
A “prohibited source” [of gifts] under the regulations is one who seeks official action from the employee’s agency; one who does business or seeks to do business with the agency; one whose activities are regulated by the employee’s agency; one whose interests may be substantially affected by the performance or nonperformance of the employee’s official duties; or an organization a majority of whose members fit any of the above categories.
A gift is given “because of” the employee’s official position if it would not have been offered “had the employee not held the status, authority or duties associated with his Federal position.” Gifts that are “motivated by a family relationship or personal friendship” may therefore be accepted without limitation.
“We already know the Obama State Department let Hillary Clinton steal and then delete her government emails, which included classified information. But these new records show that was only part of the scandal. These new documents show the Obama State Department had a deal with Hillary Clinton to hide her calls logs and schedules, which would be contrary to FOIA and other laws,” said Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton. “When are the American people going to get an honest investigation of the Clinton crimes?”