During a town hall in South Carolina on Tuesday, Jeb Bush surrogate Lindsey Graham asked the audience, “How many of you are Democrats?” For reasons known only to himself, Bush raised his hand and smiled as some in the audience laughed. Was he joking? Did he not hear the question correctly? Who knows?
Thanks to moments like this, Jeb Bush has been dubbed the most awkward candidate of 2016:
Here are some other awkward moments on the campaign trail with Jeb!
- During the CNN debate last fall, Jeb executed an awkward “low-five” with Donald Trump.
- During a campaign event last fall, he did a little striptease and revealed his Reagan/Bush 1984 T-shirt.
- Earlier this month, Jeb had to ask his supporters to clap at an applause line in his speech. That made a lot of pundits cringe in embarrassment.
- At the CNBC debate last October, Jeb Bush promised “a warm kiss” for any Democrat budget-cutter.
Bush may have made more than a few fellow Republicans squirm when, asked whether he would back a budget deal that would have $10 in spending cuts for a dollar of new taxes, the former Florida governor said, “You find me a Democrat for cutting spending $10, and I’ll give them a warm kiss.”
- Then there was that time he awkwardly told a first-time voter, “I want to be your first.”
- And the time he jokingly mistook a black reporter for a white reporter and nobody laughed.
There’s really no end to the awkwardness. A quick Google search brings up headlines like, “Poor, Awkward Jeb Bush Is Giving People Secondhand Embarrassment,” “Jeb Bush’s most awkward moments in one sad list,” “Jeb’s Most Awkward, Dignity-Losing, Cringey Moments,” and “Jeb Bush May Be the Most Awkward 2016 Candidate.”
You know what? That Jeb Bush is starting to grow on me. Sorta…