News & Politics

Hero with Gun Stops Knife Attack on GM Worker, Gets Fired

A parking valet with a concealed weapon permit stopped a stabbing attack on a female employee at the General Motors Technical Center in Warren, Michigan, Wednesday, likely saving her life. But he was fired on the spot and escorted off the property for violating his contract, which prohibited him from carrying a weapon. Since then, the decision to fire him has reportedly been “over-ruled by higher ups.”


The 52-year-old victim was hospitalized in critical condition after being stabbed multiple times in the throat, back, and abdomen by another woman who had visited the plant and asked to speak to her by name.

The hero, Didarul Sarder, told Fox 2, “The lady kept saying ‘I’m dying, someone help’ and it was just natural reaction. I just see this lady getting stabbed. I only had like half a second to think and I un-holstered my firearm and pointed it at her to drop the knife.”

The victim, identified as Stephanie Kerr, is in critical condition, and lucky the stabbing didn’t go any further, according to city officials.  All of which is why Sarder says he was surprised to be fired on the spot by a GM employee, then escorted off the property.

“He said, ‘You shouldn’t have had a firearm here,'” Sarder said. “‘After this is done he needs to be escorted off the property. He’s not welcome back here.’

“I was really bummed out. I got a little emotional.”

Sarder, who has a valid CPL, works for a company contracted by GM. He says he started working on the grounds in December and was never informed of a no gun policy.


Sarder said if had to do it all over again, he would. “I can get another job,” he told Fox 2.

According to the Detroit Free Press, Sarder “is a supervisor with the valet service and has worked for the company for almost 10 years.”


Employees at the plant, the police, and Mayor of Warren Jim Fouts all hailed Sarder as a hero for saving Kerr’s life.

“Had it not been for his quick action and quick thinking, pulling out his concealed weapon, she might have been murdered on site,” Fouts said.

The mayor later posted on Facebook that the decision to fire Sarder “was over-ruled by higher ups and he now has his job back.”


Join the conversation as a VIP Member