Deceased San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook had been radicalized as far back as 2012, CNN reported Tuesday. The only thing that prevented him from going through with “bad things” back then, according to investigators, is the fact the he and his accomplice “got spooked.”
Investigators believe San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook may have been plotting an earlier attack in California with someone else, two U.S. officials said.
One of the officials said the two conspired in 2012 and a specific target was considered. Neither of the officials could say how serious the plotting got.
One official said the two decided not to go through with the earlier attack after a round of terror-related arrests in the area.
“They got spooked,” the official said.
Law enforcement officials have suspected since the day of the shooting that Farook had been radicalized for some time — meaning he had become an extremely observant Muslim who was willing to participate in violent jihad “to remove all obstacles, everywhere, to the final triumph of Islam.” Obstacles like his colleagues at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino.
But they had no idea. His co-workers threw a baby shower for his wife, Tashfeen Malik, and collected money for them before the birth of their baby six months ago.
Via the AP:
It had been a big year for the 28-year-old Farook. Co-workers threw him a shower before his daughter was born. They organized a potluck and collected cash for the new father and his bride of a year, Tashfeen Malik, a woman in Saudi Arabia whom Farook told colleagues he’d met online.