Ten Things the Ebola Crisis Tells Us About the Obola Administration
What a shock: faced with a crisis that could demolish the Democrats in the coming midterm elections and permanently cripple his post-election plans to continue "fundamental transformation," President Obama has done the only thing he knows how to do -- seek a political solution to get him past Nov. 4, in the hopes that he can fool the American public one last time.
The announcement of Ron Klain as the new Ebola "czar" checks all the boxes: Harvard Law, longtime Democrat party op, veteran of the Clinton, Al Gore and John Kerry campaigns. The problem is, it checks all the wrong boxes. The Progressive myth is that we ought to have a government of experts -- top men! -- to handle the nation's problems in a calm, deliberative manner. The reality is that we have a nation of unscrupulous lawyers, amoral apparatchiks and political hacks whose only area of expertise is manipulating the electoral and governmental systems and getting rich by doing so.
I mean, does this make you feel confident?
After learning this week that an infected nurse had traveled by air, Mr. Obama scrapped most of his schedule in favor of meetings with top national security and public health officials. While praising their work to date on Ebola, the president said they had full plates — including the fight against the Islamic State and the onset of flu season — and another person might be needed “just to make sure that we are crossing all the t’s and dotting all the i’s going forward.”
Mr. Klain will report directly to Lisa Monaco, Mr. Obama’s homeland security adviser, and Susan E. Rice, his national security adviser, the official said.
Islamic State, the flu season, a lethal virus hitherto confined to Africa -- just another day at the office for President Golf n' Fund-raise. What this appointment -- made only under duress, and purely for political reasons, since there is absolutely nothing Ron Klain personally can do to stop the spread of the Ebola virus now that the barn doors at our borders and airports have been left wide open for ideological reasons -- tells us is this:
- If a retread party hack like Klain is the best Obama can do, then the Democrat talent pool is incredibly shallow. Naturally, though, Obama wouldn't think of going outside it.
- The President considers Ebola a political/messaging problem, not a medical problem. Klain is an an insider process guy, not an expert in the field.
- The fact that we need a "Czar" to cut across federal agency red-tape and make things happen expeditiously is an indictment of the federal agencies themselves, although no Democrat would ever dare to suggest such a thing. The choice signals that, as Ronald Reagan said, government itself is the problem, not the solution.
- The reason they won't dare is that the federal agencies -- unelected hives of beetling bureaucrats, scurrying beneath the media surface -- are the sources of their power. You don't alienate or fire your most ardent union voters and financial supporters.
- This is a government devoted to process, not results. Its most deeply held belief -- a by-product of its quasi-Marxist belief in the "labor theory of value" -- is that putting in hours and hitting "metrics" is the job itself, not whatever it ostensibly happens to be about; hey, even if you die, they get paid. In this sense, bureaucrats are similar to to the education majors who teach our children in the public schools, with no particular expertise in anything but theory. And the results speak for themselves.
- With theory ascendant over common sense, the government's adamant refusal so far to ban travel to and from West Africa and its affected nations proves conclusively that Leftists are perfectly willing to have you die for their ideological beliefs.
- The longer this goes on, the more the panic will spread -- look what happened at the Pentagon earlier today, or on this cruise ship. If you haven't started to panic yet, then read this.
- Regarding the open borders and open airports, a larger issue: why is the Left so adamantly opposed to the people's right to defend themselves? There is nothing "racist" about closing the country to travelers from certain countries in west Africa -- heck, the Africans have already done it themselves.
- In twice electing Barack Obama president Americans made a choice: professional politicians over men of integrity. Symbolism over substance (hello, Nobel Peace Prize). Potential over accomplishment. Guilt over responsibility.
- If the naked malevolence of the Leftist project for America isn't visible to you now, then you're beyond help.
But hey, not to worry -- Kevin Spacey played Ron Klain in a movie. So it's all good.