Interview: Mark Steyn Surveys the Passing Parade
Mark Steyn is no stranger to apocalyptic doom, having written two best-selling books on societal dissipation and collapse, America Alone and After America.
But in addition to doom on a macro level, as the Washington Post has dubbed him, Mark is also the “world's wittiest obit writer,” as exemplified by his anthology of obituaries, Mark Steyn's Passing Parade, newly updated and available on dead tree format (appropriately enough), and finally for the Kindle as well.
Featuring obituaries of figures ranging from Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher, all the way to show business personalities as diverse as Bob Hope, Tupac Shakur, Evel Knievel, James Doohan, and Michael Jackson, the Passing Parade is a brilliant time capsule of popular and political culture at the dawn of the 21st century.
During our 35 minute long interview, Mark will discuss:
● How his career as an obituarist began.
● The secret Tupac Shakur, Evel Knievel, Wayne Newton connection -- revealed!
● How England’s decline in the 1970s was a preview of America in the Obama years.
● How Margaret Thatcher returned foreign policy respectability to England -- even without hashtags.
● How did a four-decade old Bob Hope joke lead to Mark’s parting of the ways with National Review?
● What’s the status of the legal imbroglio involving Mark and Michael Mann?
And much more. Click here to listen:
(35 minutes, 26 seconds long; 32.4 MB file size. Want to download instead of streaming? Right click here to download this interview to your hard drive. Or right click here to download the 10.1 MB lo-fi edition.)
If the above Flash audio player is not be compatible with your browser, click on the video player below, or click here to be taken directly to YouTube, for an audio-only YouTube clip. Between one of those versions, you should find a format that plays on your system.
Transcript of our interview begins on the following page; for our many previous podcasts, start here and keep scrolling.
Article printed from Ed Driscoll: http://pjmedia.com/eddriscoll
URL to article: http://pjmedia.com/eddriscoll/2014/5/22/interview-mark-steyns-passing-parade