Calling All Filmmakers! Liberty Island is hosting our first short film contest. Your assignment: to produce a politically-incorrect Public Service Announcement to encourage behavior that would scandalize polite opinion.
We are looking for entries which are irreverent, funny, and borderline offensive to the thin-skinned and uber-left. Think “Animals are Delicious”; “Fur is Warmer than Polyester”; “Ask Cary Grant: Smoking is Cool”.
Here’s the parameters:
- Entries should be between 15 and 60 seconds long.
- Stay away from profanity, nudity, and libel please.
- You can use any format you like–live actors, animation, voiceover…we’re more interested in clever content than technical proficiency.
- Contest is open to anyone, amateurs and professionals alike.
- Entries must be submitted in QuickTime format.
- We will select finalists from among the entries and feature them at www.LibertyIslandMag.com; the ultimate winner will be selected by fan voting.
Entries are due by Friday, October 17, 2014. Please send entries by email to [email protected]
For those looking for cinematic inspiration, I’d refer you to the first half of my 50 Greatest Counter-Culture Films of All Time list. Part I here and Part 2 here. Or jump to read about one of the first 31 films included:
48. Yellow Submarine
47. Dark City
45. Dog Star Man
41. The Two Towers
38. The Avengers
36. Inside Man
35. Jackie Brown
33. Pink Flamingos
32. The Films of Kenneth Anger, Volume 1: Fireworks
31. Puce Moment
30. Rabbit’s Moon
29. Eaux d’Artifice
27. The Films of Kenneth Anger, Volume 2: Scorpio Rising
24. Lucifer Rising
21. Ghost World
I hope to have part 3 done this week, perhaps part 4 too.
What kind of film could you shoot with your phone? Surely you can do better than this:
image illustration via shutterstock / Anatoly Tiplyashin