VodkaPundit

New Batman Revealed

May 14th, 2014 - 8:45 am

NEW BATMAN

Ben Affleck done up right for 2016′s Batman vs. Superman. I go into anything helmed by Zack Snyder with more than a little trepidation, but thought that last year’s Man of Steel was overall a nice refresh for the oldest superhero franchise.

This Batman is very Frank Miller and earns the Coveted VodkaPundit Seal of Approvalâ„¢.

What’s your take?

Looks like a jacked-up version of the Batmobile from the Tim Burton series. But now that you mention it, he does look like the Dark Knight Returns version of Batman.

On the Snyder reboot - I appreciated the update to the background, but did it have to be so viscerally violent and destructive? My head was buzzing after that movie, and not in a good way.
Garrettt; interesting. Your mildly obsessed friend managed to zoom onto that image and see 5 o'clock shadow which then precipitated signficant dialogue as to the Nature of Batman for the new franchise. I MIGHT label that as "wierd", but then I may or may not have waxed eloquent on the duality of the Tesseract as it simultaneously exists and doesn't exist, forming a infinitely fast blinking bridge to.......nevermind.
Looks........promising, so I'm witholding judgement. I recoiled in horror at the thought of Ben Affleck playing Batman when I'd first heard, mostly because of how he looked in Daredevil. He's just too oversized to have the agilility and speed we (I, at least) imagine when we think of our favorite super heros.

When you think of Batman (or Superman, Spiderman, etc.), you think of quickness and strength during a fight, not a lumbering heavyweight pounding on bad guys. Think the difference between a Jason Statham fight scene and a Steven Seagal fight scene.........

Dunno; I think Statham looks pretty svelte... :)
Word is that Snyder is going for an older Batman, ala Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns." That Batman was older, slower, and heavier.

Sigh -- we're all getting there.
Sorry. You lost me at Ben Affleck.

One of the worst casting decisions ever.
Same thing was said of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, Renee Zellweger as Bridget Jones, Daniel Craig as James Bond, Matt Damon as Jason Bourne, Michael Keaton as Batman...

I could go on.

Wait for the movie.
Agree. If Aflfleck were simply a horrible actor ( he's not) then be on board with all the hate. But since the guy can act, I'll wait and see. And I really can't see DC casting someone who could ruin one of their flagship franchises for the foreseeable future.

I like the take on the costume. Very Miller as you said. And a friend who, to put it kindly, is mildly obsessed with Batman, pointed out the 5 o'clock shadow, which he thinks points to a single minded Batman, focused on his task to the neglect of his own care.

I've always thought the psychology behind Batman was more interesting than the gadgets (still want a Tumbler), so hopefully B vs. S will continue that kind of take on the character.