VodkaPundit

Get Your Butt Away from My Butts

April 24th, 2014 - 11:10 am

BLU

Oh fer cryin’ out loud:

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is proposing long-awaited regulations governing the fast-growing electronic cigarette industry.

“That would be a little less stringent than if they were regulated as medicinal products used in smoking cessation,” said Dr. Hilary Tindle, assistant professor of medicine and director of the tobacco treatment service at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.

The FDA said the public, the electronic cigarette industry and others will have 75 days to comment on the proposed regulations.

I’ll go ahead and add my comment before the 75-day period even begins.

Back off, bub.

I don’t smoke e-cigarettes, but a close friend of mine used them to quit smoking the real thing after years and years of failed attempts. He’d tried patches, gum, cold turkey, only smoking when his wife was at work — everything.

I’ve thought about buying one, just because I still sometimes miss that feeling of well being you get from a rush of nicotine with that first cup of coffee in the morning, or right after a big meal. And why not? Nicotine inhaled via vapor isn’t going to give anybody any cancer. The only reason I don’t do it is I’m afraid the busybodies will take them away, leaving me craving a real smoke for the first time in a long time.

That’s not a risk I’m willing to take, not after it took me years of failed attempts to quit, just like my close friend.

But that’s what busybodies do: Restrict pleasure for the sake of restricting pleasure.

When I quit smoking 30+ years ago, one of the things I tried was the Nicotine patches. They didn't work - they were hard to roll up, and wouldn't stay lit! Ba-dum-bum....
Just label them as "high capacity assault cigarettes", for all of the actual comparison to a real burning cancer-stick.

Such weak willed people. You can quit smoking just like that (snaps fingers).

Or so I've been told. And that's a lie for some people. After several years I finally quit by going cold turkey while heavily drugged. That was during post op for quintuple cardiac bypass. Effective for quitting, but I don't recommend it.

Regarding regulating cigarette substitutes, we've been down this road before: http://www.nytimes.com/1988/10/22/us/koop-urging-regulation-of-smokeless-cigarette.html
I think I'll stick with a cigar, a .45, and a raised middle finger.

Not anymore--the FDA has decided that the minimum price of a cigar shall henceforth be $10 per stick. Any less than that, and it's regulated as a cigarette.

Which, of course, means we'll soon be paying $20/stick.
Cigars and scotch make me happy, and are therefore a much needed mental health vector. Hence, I'll just sue until Obamacare covers my Davidoff Special Rs and MacAllan 18.
"...what busybodies do: Restrict pleasure for the sake of restricting pleasure."
For them that is the Ultimate pleasure.
Remember, comrades: that which is not mandatory is forbidden.
"The new rules, to be made public Thursday, are expected to regulate e-cigarettes as tobacco products, placing them under the same requirements as cigarettes. That would likely include a ban on the sale to minors."

Umm, they are already restricted to minors. At least here in Arkansas. And in Missouri. And in Alabama. Probably most places. And it's probably not by law, but by store policy, which to me seems the best way to handle these.
"The only reason I don’t do it is I’m afraid the busybodies will take them away, leaving me craving a real smoke for the first time in a long time."

That is my exact same situation. I had a pack a day habit with cigarettes and managed to quit before the eCigarettes came out. It was tough and I still get the urge every now and then. No way am I going to try out the eCigs just to have the government decide I shouldn't have them.
I'm a non-smoker (occasional cigar) who bought an N-Joy for exactly that reason. I've found that since I have no tolerance, it only takes 2-3 puffs for me to get that "buzz" and then I'm done (as opposed to 10-15 puffs for entire cigarette, which, once I start, I feel like I need to finish.)

So really, I smoke less with vape than I would with a pack of cigarettes.
FDA, EPA, OSHA, DEA, NEA, DOE (both), and the rest of our alphabet soup government need to go away. A free people living in a Constitutional Republic do not need an endless assortment of nagging bureaucrats telling us how, why, when and if we can enjoy life.
1 2 Next View All

One Trackback to “Get Your Butt Away from My Butts”