VodkaPundit

What Do You Do with a Broken Country?

April 18th, 2014 - 6:15 am

GALICIA

Maybe it’s just the typical early morning dread that hangs around until the second cup of coffee is poured, but it seems increasingly clear to me that Ukraine cannot be saved. Kyiv doesn’t have the means to resist, and Ukraine doesn’t have enough strategic importance to the West for us to commit to the actions that would be necessary to save it from its large and aggressive neighbor.

But if the country can’t be saved, might there be something of Ukraine to be salvaged?

Before we get to that though, a little something that occurred to me yesterday after reading that some Ukrainian Jews had been ordered to “register” with the pro-Russian paramilitaries in the east. If I were president I’d have immediately and very publicly ordered a Marine amphibious group to the Black Sea. Not to wage war, or even to threaten war — but to assist, if need be, with the evacuation of Jews to Israel or to our shores. Odessa is awfully far from the Donbas to be convenient for refugees, but it’s a safe bet not even Vlad the Bad would want to mess with U.S. Marines on a mercy mission. That kind of thing would go a long way to restoring some of our standing with “New Europe,” too. In fact, positioning the Marines for potential rescue missions is a good idea, even if the registration story turns out not to be true as my friend Greg Hill informed me last night.

So. Back to the question of what might possibly be salvaged of Ukraine — and my eyes wander to the left side of the map.

How about we fix our own broken country before meddling in the affairs of others in a manner that most likely will leave them more broken than they were to begin with.
Yep. I guess I'm confused a bit at why we take such great pleasure in beating up on Israel for building infrastructure in their capital, why we were so happy to take Morsi out, why we meddled into a neutered Gaddafi's Libya, why we chase some lunatic around the huts and hamlets of Africa...because none of those feel to me of massive geopolitical importance.

We turn our backs on the desperate pleas for freedom in Syria, Iran, Venezuela, and effectively install the Muslim Brotherhood, nukes in Iran and a ton of cash, we abandon Kabul and Baghdad and we sellout Tblisi, Kiev and Warsaw.

The Communo-Jihadist axis seems to benefit from our every move.

At some point, perhaps someone will see all of this as NOT a coincidence.
Oh lordy. When I first read the headline "What Do You Do with a Broken Country?" I thought "USA" before seeing the subtitle.
And what those jews are still doing there?
He gets everything up to and including Kyiv and its environs

Sorry Steve, but F U. You want to save the laid back agrarian country with the biggest claim on the vague national idea and the language but would throw the modern young[er] economically developed Slavs that are at least somewhat more liberty conscious than is the norm for the region to the wolves. You don't understand the first thing about the time and the place.
While I appreciate your kind words, we are not going to war for Ukraine, which seems at this point the only way to stop Putin from taking all that he wants.

Save the FUs for him, please, and not the guy trying to find something salvageable from this mess.
Actually, if rescuing Ukranian Jews is on the table, then I see a job opportunity for the German Army.

It would have a nice "bookend" quality to it, and it would keep the thing a European Affair.

The Euros wimped out mightily in Bosnia and Kosovo, so here's another chance for them to pull on their "Big Boy Pants".

I won't hold my breath, though...so that will mean the US and the Israelis...
I "like" how nonchalantly you throw around millions of lives and hundreds of thousands square miles of land.

Clearly, Ukraine, not the US or the EU, have to make the key decisions here on what they want. If they would prefer to be partitioned or even absorbed whole into Russia, then it's not up to us to force them to fight.

But if they actually prefer to stay free even if it there is a great risk to them, and if they are willing to fight themselves, we need to give very serious thought to the possibility of helping them. If they will stand up for themselves and their freedom, can we look ourselves in the mirror if we just shrug and declare that it isn't our problem?

If they want us to do all the fighting for them, I'm not as inclined to help them as if they are going to take an active part.
Green's proposal makes sense if it is possible to save all of the Ukraine, then save part of it.? Why?

Cuz Putin needs ALL of the Ukraine to set the stage to subjugation of NATO. He needs that and a free-ride for his theater level ballistic missles. Deny him either and he has problems
Not a bad solution, though the idea of the Russians sitting on their heels while Marines drive through the Donbass (?) looking for Jews to rescue is fanciful. More unlikely is the idea that the friend of Ayers, Dohrn, Khalidi, Wright, Sharpton and Farrakhan would consider such a thing. I think Joe Biden's Zionist mother might, but she's not President..
If you want to talk about a broken country, why not talk about this, a country that is about as broken as a country can get?

Sheriff Mack: federal snipers at Bundy ranch are mercenaries, hit men [http://www.dcclothesline.com/2014/04/18/sheriff-mack-federal-snipers-bundy-ranch-mercenaries-hit-men/]

In an interview with TPN’s Dylan Scott Wednesday, April 16, 2014, Richard Mack, former Arizona county sheriff and founder of the Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association (CSPOA), said:

“One of our CSPOA members who was there earlier and got there before I did was phoning me and telling me that they were going to be killed. The federal snipers, several of them — I don’t know if you know this — but they were paid mercenaries. They’re contractors. They’re paid hit men.

He saw all the equipment and all the military weaponry that they had, and then he said, ‘Sheriff, they warned us that they were going to arrest us. Then they warned us that they were going to shoot us. I’m calling to tell you that they’re going to shoot us.’ He’s a 15-year law enforcement veteran that was telling me this. He said, ‘Please tell my wife that I love her, and I hope to see you later, but I don’t think so.’

I, at that time, went around the two lanes of traffic onto the side of the road, which is illegal to do, and I turned on my flashers. I buzzed it up there, and I got there right after that part finished, where my guy was that called me. The sheriff had just left, and he was the one that I think made a big difference.

Apparently, in order to fix a broken country, you extra tax a part of the citizenry you don't care much for. Someone has to pay for the Oligarch's heavy petting zoo. Fancy houses make the ruling elite feel better about their shyt sandwich countries.
Sounds to me like the Munich deal all over again.

What about the people in the rest of the Ukraine who DON'T want to be ruled by the Russians??
They get to either move or be disappointed. It's an imperfect world.

I'm a bit more sanguine than Mr. Green. I think there are things we can do to preserve Ukraine as it exists today at very little risk (mostly because I don't believe Russia sees Ukraine as worth a nuclear war), but the political will is lacking - as is the political intelligence in the current administration. Given that, this proposal is the least-bad option available.
The possibility of a nuclear war is "very little risk"?

I admire your guts, Jeff, but not your brains.
Very little risk. The Russians are as eager to avoid nuclear war as we are - if not moreso. If we put Putin in a position where his only options are to stand pat or start a nuclear war, he's going to stand pat. As of right now Putin doesn't lose any face if the status quo remains. He doesn't have to back down, all he has to do is quietly pull back the Spetsnaz and decry our escalation of the situation.
1 2 Next View All