VodkaPundit

Office for iPad: Yawn

March 27th, 2014 - 4:23 pm

It looks smart, and the business plan behind it does, too:

Microsoft on Thursday unveiled a long-awaited version of its Office suite for iPad, bringing productivity applications Word, Excel and PowerPoint to Apple’s tablet lineup, requiring users to subscribe to its Office 365 service for editing documents.

Microsoft was quick to emphasize at a media event in San Francisco on Thursday that the new Office for iPad was built from the ground up for Apple’s platform. They showcased how documents can be synced to Microsoft’s OneDrive cloud service.

Office for iPad will use what Microsoft referred to as a “freemium model,” allowing users to install the app view documents, but requiring a subscription to Office 365 to make edits.

This might have been exciting had Redmond introduced it alongside the iPad 2 three years ago. But by now, tens of millions have discovered they don’t need Office, freemium or otherwise.

I expect Office for iPad to be downloaded like crazy, but I’m less sure how many will pay for Office 365, or even actually use the suite beyond a cursory examination.

ON SECOND THOUGHT: This just occurred to me. Corporate IT buys far more iPads than Android tablets, and they’ll probably preinstall this on company machines without a second thought. That might not add new paid users to Office 365, but it could certainly help slow the rot.

Note that Office365 in the Home or Personal guise is pretty much the best way to get Office these days.

Microsoft is pretty much counting on making Office365 a good deal for the average consumer (at worst it's comparable in pricing for a single user who upgrades every version, very much unlike the cash grab that is Adobe Creative Cloud. If you actually need 3 or more Office installs in your house Office365 Home is a steal).
I hit post too soon.

The reality is that the iPad is very poor at content creation even with the detachable keyboard (I have both.). However, it is an excellent reader, much better than Kindle or Nook, and a fair music player and web browser, even though Safari is crippled on the iPad and unstable. Anyone who has a serious interest in creating content needs a lap top.
I hit post too soon pretty much daily. ;)

As for iPad content creation, I'd say it depends entirely on the kind of content. Trying to create (or even just edit) a spreadsheet ought to be prohibited under the Geneva Conventions. As a word processor it isn't bad, provided you're not writing anything more complicated or lengthier than a column.

As a photo editor I love it -- quick and intuitive. Hours I used to spend away from my family editing photos on my desktop machine I now spend on the sofa with my iPad. And for editing home videos, there's nothing better. Pros will still need and buy Mac Pros, but iMovie for iPad is something like genius.

I don't do anything musical, but I've seen some great stuff on YouTube done with iOS Garage Band.

Short version: It's not very good for most office work, but for creative work it can be downright liberating.
The reader would be a useful app to have, but MS can keep the cloud service.
I think you got it on your second thought. Our MIS guys at work were damn near giddy over this.

All of our sales people in the field are equipped with iPads, but most everything inside is done in Office.

Trying to create a "sales person compatible" conversion has been a problem.