VodkaPundit

Free Free Parking

March 26th, 2014 - 8:26 am

Park-Place_Monopoly

Brilliant move by Parker Bros:

There’s the official Monopoly rules, and then there’s the way you play the game — and everyone does it just a little bit different. Now Hasbro is hoping to tap into that rich world of user-created rules with an upcoming “house rules” edition of the board game. And in order to crowdsource those ideas, it’s turning to Facebook.

For each of the next 10 days, the Monopoply Facebook page will feature a different house rule, and fans can vote for whether or not it should be included in the game. These include things like freezing your assets so that you don’t earn rent money while in jail, or forcing players to go around the board once before they can actually start buying property. In addition to the upcoming special edition, the new rules will also be featured in the main Monopoly game guide starting next year, though of course they’ll be entirely optional. “The official Monopoly rules will not change,” the company says.

I’d never heard of the asset-freeze rule, but I’m going to incorporate it into the Casa Verde Edition. A player in a strong position who finds himself in jail is often happy to stay there for the maximum three turns, collecting his rents without risking having to pay any else’s rents. I say, let ‘em rot!

Funny that you never heard of the freezing assets rule. I didn't know it was a house rule--I've always played that way. How can you collect rent while in jail? You're in jail!
The problem with most of these rules is that they're the reason everyone hates Monopoly. Monopoly is at its best when it's ruthless - you want people bankrupting early and often. All these optional rules seem to just make the game take longer for no good reason. The only exception is no rent when in jail.

If you want a house rule that addresses the "the later players can't buy the light blues" problem, just say that you take an extra $10 for every spot later in the turn order you are. That should be adequate compensation, and it doesn't require an extra five minutes of nothing.
Have you ever played Monopoly Deal?

Really fun. Was introduced to it, ironically enough, by my wife's Brit cousins. Brings a whole new meaning to the word "ruthless."
I like the circle around the board before buying rule. If you are the last player to start, it really sucks when everyone else has had a chance to pick up the most commonly rolled properties.

And I REALLY like the asset freeze one. I used to get upset whenever I drew a "get out of jail free" card, because who cares? Sitting in jail is awesome after most of the properties have been picked up, but not if you can't collect rent!

Another version I tried was shuffling and dealing out the property cards to the players. Let the horse trading commence!
I used to play "Nuclear Risk" w my friends. In the game your receive a territory card at the end of your turn. Your either play the card normally or play it as a nuke strike on that territory. A nuke strike kills all but one army in that territory.

AND... After the first strike has been played, at the end of each round, a die is rolled against the list of continents in the lower right on the board. Whichever continent comes up, one army from each territory is killed. Nuclear fallout. 8^)
Hah! Great minds...

But, here are the official rules - ;-) (by memory, haven't played Risk, or N-Risk, in years)

You can cash in x numbers of armies for a nuke. Less for a theater-range, more for an ICBM.

Theater range can only be used against a bordering enemy, ICBM anywhere on the board.

When you launch, a dice is rolled for casualties. A six is 90% casualties, five or four is 60%, two or three is 30%, and a one is a dud.

Any armies moving through nuked territories has to sacrifice 10% for radiation attrition.

There were probably more rules than that that I am forgetting, but it all worked like a clock. Classic memories.

Wow. You put a lot more effort into that than we were willing.
I'd like to see this one resolved:

"You can buy the property you land on . . . If you don't want to pay the listed price, the property goes up for auction. . . ."

This means other players can bid on it and it can go for any price over a buck. But what if there's only one other player? Can he bid a dollar and get it?
Yes. And so can the person who landed on the property.
Yes, but there is noting stopping you from bidding for it. Maybe you can't afford New York Ave for $180, but you're willing to pay $50 for it.
Then we've introduced another level of fun.

Broke Player Who Just Landed on Boardwalk: "Forget it. I'm broke, everything is mortgaged to the hilt."

Other Player: "Then I'll take it for a buck."

Broke Player: "NO! I'll pay two bucks."

Other Player: "Fifty."

Broke Player: "Don't make me do this!!"